Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSSU Athletics: Who do U blame????

I view the current condition of the WSSU athletics as on life support. From my perspective and I could be wrong but there is enough blame to go around (and back). I believe that familiarity breeds contempt. We need a chancellor to be a strong leader and not necessarily a buddy. You do not need to be in every picture or video. Let the students be out front. I do not see the other presidents or chancellors being the center of attention like WSSU's. There should be more of an effort to raise funds and obtain sponsor. Maybe the next chancellor will be white and we will get someone dedicate to the success of our school. Someone with a business mind. A good athletics director should be community driven for raising funds and recruiting as well as sponsors. When you spend more time during book tours and forums it take away from quality work time that could be useful to the success of the program. We have got to stop hiring our friends and not holding them accountable for not doing their job. As a community we need to do a better job supporting the events held and let our students know our appreciations. We can't do that say for example at homecoming if we are too busy tailgating to come inside the stadium to watch the game. The players and cheerleaders, and band deserves better. So let's reboot, and start fresh on committing to return WSSU to the glory days of winning. I'm in. Are you??????

Re: WSSU Athletics: Who do U blame????

So I'm 50/50 on the Chancellor, but I would venture to say he has been around for some tough decisions over the last two years. Tonia Walker's "resignation" as AD last year was obviously an ability to let her save face and not get fired. I mean who really "resigns" the year after signing a three year extension when they don't have another job lined up? The Boulware matter could have been swept under the rug, but the tough decision was made to address it head on.

I will say that I agree with the familiarity breeds contempt comment and people in athletics took the easy way out and were buddy buddy when it came to hiring. Three of the biggest hires came from "back ups" after we saw success for our return to D2. Tonia Walker was the Assistant AD to Bill Hayes, Boulware was the DC to Maynor, and Wilhelmi was Bobby Collins assistant for Basketball. Can't really blame those on the current Chancellor as he was just getting to the school. I think Tonia was in over her head and she stuck with what she knew when it came to the football and basketball hires. Now on paper at the time I still think Boulware was the right coach to pick; however, I'm not really sure why she picked Wilhelmi for basketball.

Homecoming is its own can of worms that is starting to mimic CIAA (i.e. come for the party not for the game). I do think prices and parking have gotten out of hand, but what we really need to do is figure out a way to block off a tailgate zone that is only accessible with a game ticket purchase. We also need to allow reentry so people can back and forth.

Comment

Comment

Thanks LegalRam and WSSU1996, I am glad you two did not think I was chancellor bashing because he has done some good things at WSSU. It's just those "other things" that he does overshadow the good. That being said you both have made great points I really just wanted to get the conversation started so we can get our beloved alma mater back to the Glory Days of winning. I have two suggestions for anyone to give their thoughts on if they are plausible or not. New stadium: The state general assembly will not allow any state money to be spent on damaged or hazardous land to which BGS stands on. I suggest to turn the old on campus practice field into a softball and baseball field. Now your teams play on campus for student support. Buy Civitan Park (current practice field) and build your football stadium and track complex. Now all of your teams participate on campus so no more renting facilities. For Homecoming: Use the parking lot across the street next to the Armory for those tailgating only for a fee of 35.00 per space. South lot is for season ticket holders which require a parking pass. East lot can be for game day parking with parking at 20.00 with game ticket. Of course prices may vary. I feel all of this is possible with the right fund raising and sponsorship help. But it won't get done sitting in your office. As I have stated before and it is now OFFICIAL that my wife (WSSU alum) is running for mayor of Winston Salem and we will be trying to come with solutions to assist both the city and school. So pass the word that a WSSU alum is running for mayor of WS. Depart to serve!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
          Thanks LegalRam and WSSU1996, I am glad you two did not think I was chancellor bashing because he has done some good things at WSSU. It's just those "other things" that he does overshadow the good. That being said you both have made great points I really just wanted to get the conversation started so we can get our beloved alma mater back to the Glory Days of winning. I have two suggestions for anyone to give their thoughts on if they are plausible or not. New stadium: The state general assembly will not allow any state money to be spent on damaged or hazardous land to which BGS stands on. I suggest to turn the old on campus practice field into a softball and baseball field. Now your teams play on campus for student support. Buy Civitan Park (current practice field) and build your football stadium and track complex. Now all of your teams participate on campus so no more renting facilities. For Homecoming: Use the parking lot across the street next to the Armory for those tailgating only for a fee of 35.00 per space. South lot is for season ticket holders which require a parking pass. East lot can be for game day parking with parking at 20.00 with game ticket. Of course prices may vary. I feel all of this is possible with the right fund raising and sponsorship help. But it won't get done sitting in your office. As I have stated before and it is now OFFICIAL that my wife (WSSU alum) is running for mayor of Winston Salem and we will be trying to come with solutions to assist both the city and school. So pass the word that a WSSU alum is running for mayor of WS. Depart to serve!!!!!
          The old football practice field will not accommodate a baseball and softball field. A softball field might work there though.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post
            The old football practice field will not accommodate a baseball and softball field. A softball field might work there though.
            Given recent events, I would say its close to "dumpster fire" status over there. The time has come for some spring cleaning if you know what I mean. Bill Hayes left the place in good shape but the lack of a quality hire has shown itself over time. Then we take a year off from the hiring of a qualified replacement. What should have we expected? Not alot for me to be positive about right now. We have to start anew, get quality people in position and re-build our brand. I fault the forcing out of a highly qualified person (Hayes), the hiring of a good-natured but weak leader as HC (Boulware), the hiring of a lesser qualified person (Walker), the placement of an interim AD (Knox) for a year, as the pivotal events that have placed us where we are. We need qualified people in each position to over come this.

Comment

Originally posted by OGramball3r View Post
              Given recent events, I would say its close to "dumpster fire" status over there. The time has come for some spring cleaning if you know what I mean. Bill Hayes left the place in good shape but the lack of a quality hire has shown itself over time. Then we take a year off from the hiring of a qualified replacement. What should have we expected? Not alot for me to be positive about right now. We have to start anew, get quality people in position and re-build our brand. I fault the forcing out of a highly qualified person (Hayes), the hiring of a good-natured but weak leader as HC (Boulware), the hiring of a lesser qualified person (Walker), the placement of an interim AD (Knox) for a year, as the pivotal events that have placed us where we are. We need qualified people in each position to over come this.
              You are spot on !!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X