Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Augustine's to share stadium with Shaw

Has to be a little awkward for rival teams to share a stadium. Especially when the stadium is flat out owned by SAU.

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/05/18/s...eEjrzgetxWAEPU

Re: St. Augustine's to share stadium with Shaw

So yeah this is unique, and I am guessing St Augs must be cutting Shaw a heck of deal. As of the 2017-2018 season the fees to rent the stadium in Durham were $600 an hour (http://dcopublichealth.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=20530). Not sure how many hours they need a stadium on game day but I'm assuming maybe 6 or 7 hours. So idk, is roughly $3,600 - $4,200 too much per game (plus other expenses, and not sure if they got any concession money).

I look at this as a few pros, but more cons:

Pros:
    * Shaw goes from playing in a stadium in another city over 30 miles away to playing in a stadium in the same city less than 2 miles away.
    * St Augs stadium is fairly new with a nice turf field.

Cons:
    * St Augs stadium is small from a seating capacity perspective. Our band practically took up the whole visitors side a few years ago.
    * St Augs doesn't have a press box, which creates all type of interesting setups for media and coaches.
    * I'm fairly certain they don't have a field house, so i'm not really sure what the locker room situation is like.
    * As of the last time I checked there are no lights at St Augs, so that means two games can't be played on the same day. Based off of schedules Shaw is now having to travel to VA State because St. Augs has a home game. Also, 10/19 is Shaw's homecoming but that was also originally scheduled as a St Augs home game against WSSU. Now both WSSU and St Augs schedules say they are away teams. I'm hearing the two schools might be looking for a neutral site (it would be funny if they end up playing the game at Durham County Stadium).
    * Shaw is land locked in downtown Raleigh so they can't build a stadium. This St Augs agreement seems like a temporary fix, when they need a long term solution. With all the high schools in Raleigh and the surrounding Wake county it seems like Shaw should not have had an issue reaching an agreement to play at a high school (and most of them are 4A so they have big enough stadiums).

Comment

Hey Legal are there any municipal stadiums in Raleigh?

Or hows about that soccer stadium in Cary? Would that be realistic for at least one football game a year?

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Or hows about that soccer stadium in Cary? Would that be realistic for at least one football game a year?
        There not any municipal stadiums in Raleigh. That soccer venue in Cary stays pretty busy and they will never put up goal posts for football. Wake County has a rabid soccer community.

Comment

As wssuram pointed out Wake County is crazy about soccer, and the WakeMed Soccer Park is very nice (it's hosted the D1 Men's and Women's Soccer Championship in the past). I think too much money has been pumped into that field to see football games played there.

A few years ago there was a push to get a downtown soccer stadium built to draw a MLS team, the proposal also called for Shaw to play games at the stadium (similar to how Texas Southern plays at the Houston MLS field). I guess that push kind of died though, but since the Triangle loves soccer so much it seems like that area would be perfect for a MLS team.

No municipal stadiums that I am aware of, but I know of at least three 4A high schools within a 4 mile radius of Shaw's campus.

Comment

Legal you're correct. I recall WSSU playing either Shaw or St. Aug at one of the Raleigh 4A High Schools several years ago. There should be some room to cut a deal to play the 4 or 5 home games per season. I think it was either the 2011 or 2012 season.
            Last edited by WSSU1996; 05-30-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
              Legal you're correct. I recall WSSU playing either Shaw or St. Aug at one of the Raleigh 4A High Schools several years ago. There should be some room to cut a deal to play the 4 or 5 homes games per season. I think it was either the 2011 or 2012 season.
              Yes it was Raleigh Sanders or Sanderson High.

Comment

Many believe that the real-estate that Shaw University sits on in downtown Raleigh is much much more valuable that the college itself. I believe a smart move would be to negotiate a buyout with the city, and use the $$$$ to rebuild a modern and expansive university with plenty of room to grow (including a nice stadium) in a different area in the county, or outside of Wake county.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                  Many believe that the real-estate that Shaw University sits on in downtown Raleigh is much much more valuable that the college itself. I believe a smart move would be to negotiate a buyout with the city, and use the $$$$ to rebuild a modern and expansive university with plenty of room to grow (including a nice stadium) in a different area in the county, or outside of Wake county.
                  Yeah, no. Terrible idea. Thats part of the gentrification problem plaguing cities today. Why push out a HBCU for others' desires? You want the HBCU out in the middle of the field where it disadvantageous them?

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                    Yeah, no. Terrible idea. Thats part of the gentrification problem plaguing cities today. Why push out a HBCU for others' desires? You want the HBCU out in the middle of the field where it disadvantageous them?
                    And having your team playing home games at their competitor's home field isn't disadvantageous? That's really going to work well for recruiting.

Slowly watching some schools fall into despair with financial difficulties, when much better options are available is difficult to see. You can move, remain a HBCU, and not have to end up in the middle of some field (unless that's the option they choose).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                      And having your team playing home games at their competitor's home field isn't disadvantageous? That's really going to work well for recruiting.

Slowly watching some schools fall into despair with financial difficulties, when much better options are available is difficult to see. You can move, remain a HBCU, and not have to end up in the middle of some field (unless that's the option they choose).

Comment

Even though there has been no official announcement, St Augs schedule is now showing their previously scheduled home game against WSSU being moved to High Point. This game had to be moved due to that being the same day as Shaw's homecoming.

Assuming that they aren't playing at SW Guilford or Ragsdale, this game will probably be played at A.J. Simeon stadium which is a city stadium shared by two High Point high schools. This is the same field we played VUU in 2010 and had a good crowd of over 8k.

Granted last time we played there the sound system wasn't the best (hopefully that's been fixed in the last 9 years), but I like everything else about the stadium. It's a good size with plenty of parking.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
                          Even though there has been no official announcement, St Augs schedule is now showing their previously scheduled home game against WSSU being moved to High Point. This game had to be moved due to that being the same day as Shaw's homecoming.

Assuming that they aren't playing at SW Guilford or Ragsdale, this game will probably be played at A.J. Simeon stadium which is a city stadium shared by two High Point high schools. This is the same field we played VUU in 2010 and had a good crowd of over 8k.

Granted last time we played there the sound system wasn't the best (hopefully that's been fixed in the last 9 years), but I like everything else about the stadium. It's a good size with plenty of parking.
                          Interesting. I saw someone elude to that on Facebook, but I'm wondering when they put together their schedule, how they missed this. And to your comment about Simeon Stadium's sound system, I was at that VUU game there and the sound system was just as bad as Durham County Stadium's system.

Comment

Maybe SAU's schedule was put together before the stadium sharing deal came into play is my only guess. I mean, Shaw moving home games to SAU sorta came out of nowhere. I didn't hear any rumors about Shaw looking for a new home venue prior to the announcement. Maybe you guys in NC have better knowledge of that situation than I do.

Comment

Maybe SAU's schedule was put together before the stadium sharing deal came into play is my only guess. I mean, Shaw moving home games to SAU sorta came out of nowhere. I didn't hear any rumors about Shaw looking for a new home venue prior to the announcement. Maybe you guys in NC have better knowledge of that situation than I do.
                              From the best I can tell it really did seem to come out of nowhere, but according to this article talks began earlier this year. Also, it says St Augs AD came up with the idea. https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...230607514.html

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X