Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia State Considering Move Up to D1 to join MEAC

https://hbcusports.com/2021/05/10/ke...-to-join-meac/

It is interesting the KSU is involved too. If both leave, the puts Central State in a tight sport. They have seemingly burnt the other conference bridges (GMAC and GLVC) around them in favor of the SIAC. I doubt they would be invited back if they decided the travel in the SIAC was too much.

Comment

VSU has the facilities to make the move and recent success in both sports. KSU not too sure how they'd fit in the MEAC with the traveling cost of going to DC/MD/VA/NC especially in the Olympic sports.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
        VSU has the facilities to make the move and recent success in both sports.
        Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Really?
          Their basketball arena is definitely better than every one currently in the MEAC.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Their basketball arena is definitely better than every one currently in the MEAC.
            Yeah, they have a legit quality mid major basketball arena. Coppin State also has a nice arena, just on the smaller side. FAMU also has a really nice arena but they're on the way out.

The football field is what's exactly not up to par. Granted it's about on level with Del State's field.

KSU is a pipe dream which makes no sense. However, VSU makes a whole lot of sense. VSU has the location and they already field all the necessary teams. If they can just work in some upgrades and expansion to that football field then they'd be pretty much be set, outside of the elephant in the room named funding.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Yeah, they have a legit quality mid major basketball arena. Coppin State also has a nice arena, just on the smaller side. FAMU also has a really nice arena but they're on the way out.

The football field is what's exactly not up to par. Granted it's about on level with Del State's field.

KSU is a pipe dream which makes no sense. However, VSU makes a whole lot of sense. VSU has the location and they already field all the necessary teams. If they can just work in some upgrades and expansion to that football field then they'd be pretty much be set, outside of the elephant in the room named funding.
              I believe they could make modest updates with the visiting side bleachers add some end zone seating and permanent seating to replace some of the aluminum bleachers. A video scoreboard and maybe expanding the stadium to 10k would make it suitable for MEAC play. The only MEAC stadiums with under 10k capacity are Delaware State at 6k. Basketball wise I'd say they'd be right there with Coppin State, Norfolk State and NCCU

Comment

Exciting topic! I get mixed emotions anytime I hear a school is contemplating a move from DII to FCS. Truthfully, much of my hesitation and skepticism comes from our (WSSU) failed attempt. I do not begrudge VSU for wanting to move. I only question their resolve to see it through. Funding, Funding, Funding... the financial commitment to transition and be successful is enormous. However, I think that the MEAC is the right fit geographically because the conference wants to split into a Northern and Southern Division. As we have seen from the schools that left the conference, travel costs were at the top of the list of reasons why they defected. If the MEAC can entice at least three more football-playing schools to join, I think they have a shot at the divisional split, but that is a BIG "IF." VSU has to consider Title 9 rules, the costs of fielding new athletic teams, the addition of athletic facilities that meet FCS regulations, etc. VSU would need a minimum of $10 million in their Athletic budget to compete, and even in the MEAC, that puts you mid-pack. Whatever they decide, I will support them.
                Last edited by WSSU1996; 05-27-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Money wise- other than the prestige of making the Big Dance- wouldn't it make more sense monetarily for some of the MEAC schools to go D2 like Savannah State did?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Money wise- other than the prestige of making the Big Dance- wouldn't it make more sense monetarily for some of the MEAC schools to go D2 like Savannah State did?
                    Of course it makes more sense for some these schools to go D2 - or stay D2. Unfortunately, however, this isn't about logic it is about theoretical financial gain and prestige.

Comment

Are they known as a long jump, pole vault program, WTH is that doing between the track and the stands?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X