Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSSU to renew rivalry with NCCU...

John Dell, sports writer for the W-S Journal who covers WSSU Athletics wrote:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...k4Q4MqaZetBfKo

Side note, I firmly believe the A&T/WSSU game will happen, but When?

Re: WSSU to renew rivalry with NCCU...

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
    John Dell, sports writer for the W-S Journal who covers WSSU Athletics wrote:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...k4Q4MqaZetBfKo

Side note, I firmly believe the A&T/WSSU game will happen, but When?
    Yep, this was rumored in the past and is now official. Also, good to see we have next season's OOC games and are finalizing 2021.

At this point I'd be fine giving up the home and home dream to play A&T again. I'd take a similar deal that Central is giving us with 50K upfront and we keep the proceeds from our ticket allotment. If A&T gave us 50k and 1,000 tickets to sell, at what would probably be at least $25 a ticket, then I say do it. Considering attendance was 21,500 last time we played them, giving us 1,000 of the tickets wouldn't be that bad for a guaranteed sellout. Plus they would get all the extra parking and concession money.

I'm thinking this could happen soon. I believe the last game of the UNCP series is in 2020, and with them going to the MEC I don't believe we will be able to continue playing them the first game of the season. That opens up that labor day game slot to play A&T again.

Comment

I would want about 2500 tickets and take that deal because the first time we play them again the crowd will be off the chain so we need to cash in. But truth is, i would not play them just yet. We need a coach, an AD and a good coaching staff before would play them again. Plaay and keep losing and there is no rivalry thus interest and attendance suffers.

Comment

Not really the best announcement based on the present state of WSSU football. Also, I've never been a fan of schools pimping out the the student athletes for a pay check, which rarely if ever benefit the actual players who participate in the game. Add in the fact that the separation of the level of talent between the divisions in the past 5 or 6 years has rapidly grown, and the occasional lower division victory over a higher division have become fewer and fewer. I also don't really believe seeing a team getting a major beat down in front of a large crowd benefits recruiting (or player's confidence) in any way.

While the pay check may be enticing for a school, along with the short term ego boost as it applies to temporary relevance, what's the actual trade offs? Let's see, players giving all they have on the field through sweat blood and tears, while potentially risking season ending injuries against an overwhelmingly more talented opponent,

Lets look at the numbers: FSC teams are allotted 63 scholarship players, while I would estimate that WSSU presently offers around the mid twenties,(In both divisions, scholarships are parceled out as coaches see fit) but the true value differences in scholarships are even larger. At FCS level, the average is $21,000, with the most lucrative at $31,000 and the lowest figure at $15,000. . Dollar amounts fall off sharply from there; D2 athletic scholarships as a whole are worth less than half the FCS figure.

Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          Not really the best announcement based on the present state of WSSU football. Also, I've never been a fan of schools pimping out the the student athletes for a pay check, which rarely if ever benefit the actual players who participate in the game. Add in the fact that the separation of the level of talent between the divisions in the past 5 or 6 years has rapidly grown, and the occasional lower division victory over a higher division have become fewer and fewer. I also don't really believe seeing a team getting a major beat down in front of a large crowd benefits recruiting (or player's confidence) in any way.

While the pay check may be enticing for a school, along with the short term ego boost as it applies to temporary relevance, what's the actual trade offs? Let's see, players giving all they have on the field through sweat blood and tears, while potentially risking season ending injuries against an overwhelmingly more talented opponent,

Lets look at the numbers: FSC teams are allotted 63 scholarship players, while I would estimate that WSSU presently offers around the mid twenties,(In both divisions, scholarships are parceled out as coaches see fit) but the true value differences in scholarships are even larger. At FCS level, the average is $21,000, with the most lucrative at $31,000 and the lowest figure at $15,000. . Dollar amounts fall off sharply from there; D2 athletic scholarships as a whole are worth less than half the FCS figure.

Think about it.
          Personally I have no problem with this game, especially considering we haven't played FCS opponents since 2010. We stand the chance to make some money, and the fans get to see a rivalry renewed. And lets cut the mess, it's not like Central is NDSU or some other FCS powerhouse. Also, I think its funny how you think D2 players would be so physically inferior to FCS players that there is any more risk of injury playing in any other game. I mean more than likely the majority of these players come from the same area and played against each other in high school.

Also rivalry games tend to bring the "underdog" up to a different level of play and divisions don't exactly matter. VA State just beat Norfolk State two seasons ago, and Tuskegee regularly beats and plays Bama State hard. Even Chowan beat MEAC member Del State a few years ago.

I'm not calling for us to play FCS teams every season as there are obvious playoff implications. However, I have no issue playing the occasional NCCU or A&T game as those are or actual rivals, we can be competitive in those games, and we stand the chance to make some decent money.

Comment

A true rivalry is only a rivalry when games are traditionally competitive, not when one team consistently gets a major beat down. Now, I love D2 football, but there's a major difference between the level of talent and team depth of team in D1 and D2, and that gap has grown quite a bit in the past years.

Using the blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut theory, you can name a few games where a D2 team successfully won over a D1 opponent, and the reason you can remember those games is because they are so rare and far between these days. We tend to quickly forget the hundreds of games over time where a beat down lower level team limps away with a measly pay check while the superior team was able to get a lot of playing time for their backups in an effort to call off the dogs and keep the final score less embarrassing.

Locally, I know some football players that played side by side in high school then went on to play in college. One got picked up by Clemson, one got a free ride with Texas, and another player ended up at Brevard College. Now again, all three played side by side on the same high school team, but that's pretty much where their in-common similarity pretty much ended.

For those who are in favor of these types of uneven ego feeding match-ups, I hope you enjoy it, and for the players who face waves and waves of superior talent throughout the long game, I hope that you retain your overall health and drive to play the next game.

Comment

A true rivalry is only a rivalry when games are traditionally competitive, not when one team consistently gets a major beat down. Now, I love D2 football, but there's a major difference between the level of talent and team depth of team in D1 and D2, and that gap has grown quite a bit in the past years.

Using the blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut theory, you can name a few games where a D2 team successfully won over a D1 opponent, and the reason you can remember those games is because they are so rare and far between these days. We tend to quickly forget the hundreds of games over time where a beat down lower level team limps away with a measly pay check while the superior team was able to get a lot of playing time for their backups in an effort to call off the dogs and keep the final score less embarrassing.

Locally, I know some football players that played side by side in high school then went on to play in college. One got picked up by Clemson, one got a free ride with Texas, and another player ended up at Brevard College. Now again, all three played side by side on the same high school team, but that's pretty much where their in-common similarity pretty much ended.

For those who are in favor of these types of uneven ego feeding match-ups, I hope you enjoy it, and for the players who face waves and waves of superior talent throughout the long game, I hope that you retain your overall health and drive to play the next game.
              I don't know how many consistent rivalry games are played between FCS and D2 teams, but the two previously mentioned are big in HBCU football. Bama State has been FCS for decades, but that hasn't stopped Tuskegee from owning that series. Based off of my math since Norfolk State has moved up VA State's record against them has been 6-12. While a losing record, it's not this once in a blue moon scenario.

We aren't talking about WSSU signing to play Elon, Western Carolina, Gardner Webb, or another random NC FCS school. We are actually playing a rival who we have a long history with. At that point divisions go out the door.

Comment

Well, I wish the Rams luck. I know there's some Eagles fans that have wished there could be a Carson Newman vs Tennessee home game match-up (ain't neva gonna happen), but in reality, I don't think Jefferson City has enough ambulances to handle that game, but then again we're not comparing apples to apples in that situation;)

Comment

NC CENTRAL equals CLEMSON, TEXAS, or Tennessee??? D1 and D1AA are very different animals. Very. No big deal.

Comment

You're right, NC Central does not compare to Clemson or Texas. Just responding to a quote where it was implied that football players in different divisions are pretty much the same.

" I think its funny how you think D2 players would be so physically inferior to FCS players that there is any more risk of injury playing in any other game. I mean more than likely the majority of these players come from the same area and played against each other in high school."

Comment

You're right, NC Central does not compare to Clemson or Texas. Just responding to a quote where it was implied that football players in different divisions are pretty much the same.

" I think its funny how you think D2 players would be so physically inferior to FCS players that there is any more risk of injury playing in any other game. I mean more than likely the majority of these players come from the same area and played against each other in high school."
                      If that was your attempt at responding to me then your example was way off. You tried to compare Power 5 schools to FCS schools? In the hierarchy of football that's a huge gap. Not only that, you are trying to compare traditional National Contenders with a middle of the road MEAC squad?

I get there are differences in talent level, but from a size perspective most of these guys in D2 and FCS are similar sizes. It's not like it's some Varsity high school squad playing little league teams, these are guys the same age playing each other.

Are you one also one of those who agreed with high schools forfeiting games because the other team was too big? Did you agree when East Chapel Hill dropped varsity football for a year because they didn't think they had enough players to compete with the big boys in Durham and Raleigh? At the end of the day this is college football it's player versus player. These aren't teenagers/young adults going against seasoned Pros, these are still college kids versus college kids.

Eagle you sound like the "everyone gets a trophy crowd". So afraid for the little D2 team to play against the big bad FCS team, those little D2 teams should only play against each other so things will be more fair.......

Comment

LOL, we'll see how all of this plays out. Based on your logic, I can just imagine your questions after the Rams get a major beat down at the hands of a higher division school.

" How could this have happened? "These aren't teenagers/young adults going against seasoned Pros, these are just college kids versus college kids. "They have similar size and are around the same age, some of which played on the same high school teams". Both teams wore similar football uniforms (just different colors), had cheerleaders, and bands, and practiced on the same sized fields" "I just don't understand why and how that team better than ours?" With all things being equal, maybe we could start scheduling Division 3 schools like the close by Guilford College Quakers, they could be a potential new rivalry for our Rams."

Let's talk after the game;)
                        Last edited by Eagle74; 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

App State and Michigan game at the Big House. Still the tool to reference as an example of not being able to predict the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
                            App State and Michigan game at the Big House. Still the tool to reference as an example of not being able to predict the fight in the dog.
                            Again, using the blind squirrel theory, and banking on the ole 2007 win of App State over Michigan (12 years ago)

What about Savannah State University playing up a division (team pimped out for a pay check) in the past number of years?

Verses UAB, lost 0-52
                            Verses Miami, lost 0-77
                            Verses App State, lost 7-54
                            Verses Georgia Southern, lost 0-54
                            Verses Southerner Miss, lost 0-56
                            Verses U of Akron, lost 9-52
                            Verses Georgia Southern, lost 9-83
                            Verses MTSU, lost 7-61
                            Verses BYU, lost 0-64
                            Verses Georgia Southern, lost 9-77
                            Verses Troy, lost 3-66
                            Verses Miami, lost 7-77
                            Verses Oklahoma State, lost 0-84
                            Verses FSU, lost 0-55

There's a lot of other examples, and in most cases I'm sure the actual players (on the losing end) prefer to forget about those ugly pimped out games.

Comment

Again, using the blind squirrel theory, and banking on the ole 2007 win of App State over Michigan (12 years ago)

What about Savannah State University playing up a division (team pimped out for a pay check) in the past number of years?

Verses UAB, lost 0-52
                              Verses Miami, lost 0-77
                              Verses App State, lost 7-54
                              Verses Georgia Southern, lost 0-54
                              Verses Southerner Miss, lost 0-56
                              Verses U of Akron, lost 9-52
                              Verses Georgia Southern, lost 9-83
                              Verses MTSU, lost 7-61
                              Verses BYU, lost 0-64
                              Verses Georgia Southern, lost 9-77
                              Verses Troy, lost 3-66
                              Verses Miami, lost 7-77
                              Verses Oklahoma State, lost 0-84
                              Verses FSU, lost 0-55

There's a lot of other examples, and in most cases I'm sure the actual players (on the losing end) prefer to forget about those ugly pimped out games.
                              I'm sure the players are glad they have a football program at all; which they have because of those games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X