Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Simply put, Darrell Allison became FSU's Chancellor after James Andersen quit. Since Allison has taken the reins, FSU has been prospering in multiple ways..

The NC Promise Program was initially designed to help and lend a helping hand to some of the struggling underfinanced UNC System schools, primarily in rural areas of NC (and was offered to WSSU). UNC, NC State, UNCG, ECU, App State, UNC-Charlotte, etc did not, and do not, fall into those categories.

I take gratitude in seeing successful programs help schools prosper and flourish, and the NC Promise Program has been a positive gamechanger for the schools who embraced the opportunities it offers..
    Think about it, in the near future, at it's present protectory of growth UNC Pembroke's enrollment will double WSSU's as will it's overall funding. ECSU is also seeing excellent growth with additional $$$ funding.
    Quit is a funny choice of words. More like retired after 11 years at the age of 70. Being a chancellor of a UNC system for over a decade is rare. So I also see you are going to keep dodging the question about Allison's selection. Since you are so in the know of FSU I think that speaks volumes you can't address the "process" of how Allison was selected.

So is it rural schools, being underfunded, or some combination in your opinion? Because Winston is the 5th largest and Fayetteville is the 6th largest city in the state. So if that's considered rural then there are a lot of schools in rural areas that could have used the plan. Also, if underfunded was an issue then maybe just maybe that meant the state should have allotted more money to those schools. Also, Western Carolina was not hurting for money nor the need to increase enrollment so their addition doesn't make any sense outside of them I guess being rural.

I'm confused why you even brought up the location or funding of the schools, because your previous posts make it seem like you are so concerned about the students being able to afford college. Why should school only be affordable at 4 or 5 schools instead of the entire system. Plenty of needy students at State, UNC, UNCG, A&T, UNCC, ECU, etc. that could benefit from paying less tuition.

Comment

The original activist and naysayers of the NC Promise Program are all now quite and nowhere to be found, but remnants of the Kool-aid remains. I have several relatives and friends that are Alumni of FSU, and they are in no way opposed to this great new chapter for the University. Both ECSU, UNC-Pembroke, and Western Carolina are all prospering and rapidly growing because of this proven program.
      Another false statement to push your narratice.

NC Promise sunk ECSU's athletic budget. Quote below is from ECSU 's fired Football Coach.

Even though ECSU participates in the NC Promise program, which limits tuition for an in-state resident student to $500 per semester or out-of-state resident student tuition to $2,500 per semester, the other fees added up.

Unlike NCAA Division I football (Football Bowl Subdivision or Football Championship Subdivision), where athletes can receive full scholarships to cover tuition and fees, at the Division II level, many athletes receive partial athletic financial aid scholarships from the university.

Jones said when the NC Promise program was enacted at ECSU, the football program lost more than 60 percent of its athletic scholarship money.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

As it relates to paying it, these promise schools are always at the mercy of the general assembly passing a budget that accounts for the makeup payments. So if there is ever a holdup with the budget, or the general assembly gets tired of the experiment, then the schools are going to be hurting.
        That's the downside of this program. But I would say that it's worth the savings. That $500 I thought is for 12 credits of classes per semester?

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

That's the downside of this program. But I would say that it's worth the savings. That $500 I thought is for 12 credits of classes per semester?
          Yes, the $500 for in state and $2,500 out of state is the rate for tuition per semester. That includes the 12+ hours that constitutes a full time student. However, it doesn't account for fees, room and board, and all the other items schools add on.

I will always acknowledge that the potential to save money is good for students; however, at what cost?

Some of us are just skeptical, especially considering the NC General Assembly was trying to shut down schools back in 2014. So for them to come up with this promise plan a few years later naturally is going to bring a level of concern.

Comment

Talk,talk,talk, fact is that FSU is now a part of the NC Promise Program, and they are also receiving 164,000,000.00 (yep, count the zeros, that's one hundred and sixty four million dollars in funding) for infrastructure, new dorms, a new education program center, a tons of upgrades, etc. Things that will elevate FSU to a higher HBCU level.

Also, the NC Promise Program actually saved ECSU from having to close their doors, and we would have been talking about ECSU in a past tense right now without it. The US Coast Guard was already interested in acquiring the campus property from the state, as the clock was ticking down for it's fate a few years ago.

Comment

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news...t-unc-schools/

Comment

I reviewed the link from what appears to me as being a right leaning Carolina Journal (from 20 months ago), and with it's potential intentions of spinning a negative light on the NC Promise Program, but if you take time to take a much closer look at the actual numbers, it reveals something completely different.

While tuitions were reduced, ECSU's mandated student athletic fees were not cut at all, but with a large influx of new students, the net athletic department budget receives an annual bigger windfall of additional funding.

Again, looking at the numbers, it now cost (with all fees and everything included) each student $1,574.00 less to attend UNCP vs WSSU per year, if you qualify. This is because UNCP's academic requirements are higher than WSSU's. This equates to a saving of $6,295.00 over 4 years or $7,870.00 for 5 years, this for attending an institution with verified higher academic standards, and much larger campus. That may not sound like much, but for students trying to make ends meet for meals, transportation, etc, that's a lot. The same applies to those who are trying to limit their burden of racking up student debt. So if you're looking at the big long term picture, it's a win-win for all students.

Comment

Right leaning publication? The article was comprehensive and detailed FACTS regarding the additional costs that the NC Promise program doesn't discuss. It highlighted what we've been saying about some of the unseen pitfalls. You're sold on the program and admittedly there are some good options, however it cannot be sustained and those schools will feel the heat when our legislature does what it always does. Time will tell, as I said earlier. The program is just three years old, its way too soon to tout it as a success, especially if increased enrollment is your only metric. But hey. You're sold and that is your prerogative. I'm simply not there and knowing NC Legislature, and their track record I probably never will.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
                    Right leaning publication? The article was comprehensive and detailed FACTS regarding the additional costs that the NC Promise program doesn't discuss. It highlighted what we've been saying about some of the unseen pitfalls. You're sold on the program and admittedly there are some good options, however it cannot be sustained and those schools will feel the heat when our legislature does what it always does. Time will tell, as I said earlier. The program is just three years old, its way too soon to tout it as a success, especially if increased enrollment is your only metric. But hey. You're sold and that is your prerogative. I'm simply not there and knowing NC Legislature, and their track record I probably never will.
                    No problem, I completely understand, but I wouldn't criticize other schools which are (and will be) prospering in multiple ways from the NC Promise Program, including receiving accelerated major funding for state of the art infrastructure building and upgrades which will benefit the institutions for years and years to come.

QUOTE: "With campus growth initiatives, new academic programming, a focus on delivering a highly personalized education and the financial impact of NC Promise, UNCP has not only grown its enrollment and improved the retention rate, but also strengthened the academic profile of the incoming class.

Average freshman SAT scores are up nearly 100 points compared with last year while both ACT scores and GPA have also risen."

Comment

I reviewed the link from what appears to me as being a right leaning Carolina Journal (from 20 months ago), and with it's potential intentions of spinning a negative light on the NC Promise Program, but if you take time to take a much closer look at the actual numbers, it reveals something completely different.

While tuitions were reduced, ECSU's mandated student athletic fees were not cut at all, but with a large influx of new students, the net athletic department budget receives an annual bigger windfall of additional funding.

Again, looking at the numbers, it now cost (with all fees and everything included) each student $1,574.00 less to attend UNCP vs WSSU per year, if you qualify. This is because UNCP's academic requirements are higher than WSSU's. This equates to a saving of $6,295.00 over 4 years or $7,870.00 for 5 years, this for attending an institution with verified higher academic standards, and much larger campus. That may not sound like much, but for students trying to make ends meet for meals, transportation, etc, that's a lot. The same applies to those who are trying to limit their burden of racking up student debt. So if you're looking at the big long term picture, it's a win-win for all students.
                      Eagle you have sold me. UNCP needed this program in the worst way. Small school in the poorest county in the state needed some sort of injection, hopefully now they can fix the race relations of the area so that minority students don't have to be afraid in the wonderful city of Pembroke (https://www.robesonian.com/news/1357...e-of-emergency).

I mean UNCP had lower first year GPA averages, lower first year retention rate, and a lower graduation rate than WSSU. So hopefully this welfare program can get UNCP up to the quality of school that WSSU is.

Comment

Eagle you have sold me. UNCP needed this program in the worst way. Small school in the poorest county in the state needed some sort of injection, hopefully now they can fix the race relations of the area so that minority students don't have to be afraid in the wonderful city of Pembroke (https://www.robesonian.com/news/1357...e-of-emergency).

I mean UNCP had lower first year GPA averages, lower first year retention rate, and a lower graduation rate than WSSU. So hopefully this welfare program can get UNCP up to the quality of school that WSSU is.
                        LOL, do your research, UNCP's academic standards and enrollment requirements clearly surpass (and are growing) WSSU's, it's very easy to research for verification. Now LedalRam, you too have sold me, I'm almost in favor of WSSU (which is a nice school) not becoming a part of the NC Promise Program, because, even at a higher cost, WSSU still leaves an option for those who's GPAs, SATs and ACTs aren't high enough for admittance to other state supported options, such as UNCP, and I'm sure FSU in the near future. So WSSU may in fact be doing some potential students a favor.

I find it amusing that you are also making fun of Fayetteville State University embracing the program? FSU's located in a county with a population of over 335,000, which isn't to shabby or described as rural. The Program will no doubt open the doors for additional opportunities for higher education in that area.

So, sit on your hands, and watch the parade go by. We'll see what your attitude may be in just a few years.

Comment

LOL, do your research, UNCP's academic standards and enrollment requirements clearly surpass (and are growing) WSSU's, it's very easy to research for verification. Now LedalRam, you too have sold me, I'm almost in favor of WSSU (which is a nice school) not becoming a part of the NC Promise Program, because, even at a higher cost, WSSU still leaves an option for those who's GPAs, SATs and ACTs aren't high enough for admittance to other state supported options, such as UNCP, and I'm sure FSU in the near future. So WSSU may in fact be doing some potential students a favor.

I find it amusing that you are also making fun of Fayetteville State University embracing the program? FSU's located in a county with a population of over 335,000, which isn't to shabby or described as rural. The Program will no doubt open the doors for additional opportunities for higher education in that area.

So, sit on your hands, and watch the parade go by. We'll see what your attitude may be in just a few years.
                          You are correct it is easy to do research which I have done. You think I would make the statement without researching it? I see your issue is reading and addressing questions that have been asked and comments that have been made.

Your credibility has already been questioned by your inability to directly answer any of the questions I have posed to you on this thread. You are now showing you don't know how to respond to the facts I stated. As of the numbers calculated by the most recent classes, based off of what is published by the UNC system, it is a fact that WSSU students had a higher first year gpa average, higher first year retention rate, and higher 4-6 year graduation rates than UNCP. While UNCP's average SAT and GPA admission scores might be slightly higher than WSSUs, I think it speakes more volume on how well students actually do once they get to a school than the numbers they had coming out of high school.

You are also now trying to twist my words. I didn't make fun of FSU, I just pointed out the corrupt way (which you keep refusing to acknowledge) that Allison was selected as Chancellor. I also stated that it doesn't surprise me that he would sign FSU up and that the school would be the recipent of a nice allotment of money since he was the BOG's guy.

I never said Fayetteville was rural, and was actually using the "rural" term that you threw out when you said that the program was meant for rural and underfunded schools. As I previously said Winston and Fayetteville are the 5th and 6th largest cities in the state, so those UNC system schools in locations with smaller popluations like Boone, Wilmington, Greenville, and Ashville should all be signed up as well according to your logic. Or if it's that people in the larger areas like a Fayettville need access to affordable education then that means UNCC and NC State should also be signed up since those schools are located in the two largest cities in the state.

Comment

As of the numbers calculated by the most recent classes, based off of what is published by the UNC system, it is a fact that WSSU students had a higher first year gpa average, higher first year retention rate, and higher 4-6 year graduation rates than UNCP.
                            You're correct.
                            • Wiktionary
                            • had (verb)

Used to form the pluperfect tense, expressing a completed action in the past (+ past participle).

Comment

You're correct.
                              • Wiktionary
                              • had (verb)

Used to form the pluperfect tense, expressing a completed action in the past (+ past participle).
                              Ok, since the class entering in the Fall of 2021 is still in their first year I can't speak for them. So since I need to hold your hand and walk you through this one about why I am saying "had" versus "have". The freshmen class entering into WSSU for the Fall of 2020 had a higher first year retention rate than the freshmen class which entered into UNCP in the Fall of 2020. Further, WSSU's first year rentention rate has been better every single year going back as far as 2009 (that's where the UNC system website cuts off).

WSSU's Fall of 2017 entering class had a higher 4 year graduation rate than UNCP's Fall of 2017 entering class. The last UNCP class to have a better 4 year graduation rate was the class to enter in 2010.

WSSU's Fall of 2016 entering class had a higher 5 year garduation rate than UNCP's Fall of 2016 entering class. Going back to 2009 no UNCP class has a better 5 year graduation rate.

WSSU's Fall of 2015 entering class had a higher 6 year graduation rate than UNCP's Fall of 2015 entering class. Going back to 2009 no UNCP class has a better 6 year graduation rate.

You know another interesting thing about the numbers. WSSU has actually had a higher enrollment number of first year non-transfer students the past two years (even though UNCP has the Promise tuition). For Fall 2020 WSSU had 1,023 First Year Non-Transfer Students to UNCP's 910 First Year Non-Transfer Students. So far for Fall 2021 WSSU has 937 First Year Non-Transfer Students to UNCP's 899. I am just amazed that little old sister of the poor WSSU with its unaffordable education has somehow convinced more first year non-transfer students to enroll than the hotshot fast track university of UNCP. I guess it's just a bunch of dumb highschool kids making bad decisions........

So I guess we see why UNCP's numbers are so high. They rely on transfers and students must love Pembroke so much that they really don't ever want to graduate.

Comment

The present trends show what UNCP will have twice the enrollment (and funding) of WSSU in the very near future, but that's really beside the point Fact is, most people know that WSSU is a nice school that serves a good purpose, and I'm sure will remain relevant for years and years to come. So best of luck, GO RAMS!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X