Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie State vs Valdosta State

For the first time in school history, the #10 Bowie State Bulldogs (12-1) have advanced to the NCAA DII Quarterfinals after a 13-10 defensive slugfest versus Newberry. Their reward is a rematch of the 2018 NCAA DII Playoffs second round match versus Valdosta State. Now the politically correct answer is that the 66-16 blowout in 2018 were two completely different teams and results have no effect on the current two teams. HOWEVER, I promise you it has not been forgotten. On paper the #2 ranked Blazers should dominate the matchup. Massey has them beating down the Bulldogs by 24 points. The one thing that Massey doesn't seem to be accounting for is, what we call The #Darkside. The #Darkside is the nickname for the Bowie State Defense, which is the best defensive unit in the DII country. The #Darkside leads the country in defensive touchdowns, tackles for losses, red zone defense and are 3rd in third down conversion percentage, 5th in passing defense, 5th in scoring defense, & 5th in total defense. Lenior-Ryne came into Round 1 averaging 40+ points per game and were held to three points. Newberry came into Round 2 averaging 40+ per game and were held to 10. I say that to say, you can throw offensive averages away when dealing with a tenacious defense, who can wreak havoc in the offensive backfield. Bowie has a tremendous defensive line anchored by Joshua Pryor and Jonathan Ross ( who could have both been defensive Harlon Hill candidates),a stout LB core, and a lock down secondary who are full of playmakers and thumpers.

Offensively, the Bulldogs are lead by 2019 CIAA POY Jerome Johnson and Harlon Hill Candidate Calil Wilkins at RB. Johnson is the heart and soul of this team. He has been playing hurt for 3-4 weeks now and you may literally have to "hit him with a car" to get him to stay out of the game. He had his "Byron Leftwich" moment last game when he was carried off of the field by two offensive lineman, but went on to return and throw the two touchdowns that would seal the victory over Newberry. Johnson is a dual threat who has proven if you sell out against the run, he will make you pay with his arm.

Valdosta State will no doubt, be the best team Bowie has played all year. However, the Bulldogs feature the best defense that Valdosta has played as well. You can never discount heart and determination, so I'm taking Bowie State 24 Valdosta 21 in what will be an huge upset to anyone outside of the DMV (DC, MD, VA area). Bowie has to make this game ugly, just like it has done it's last two games. That is how they win this game.
    Last edited by BSURover31; 11-29-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

First let me say I'm trilled for Bowie and the CIAA conference as a whole. I hope this success expands and continues for the conference. I think we can all agree that the CIAA is not one of D2 CFB strongest conferences.

I personally believe Bowie has no chance in beating Valdosta State. BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG. VUU played them this year I believe and they gave them a good old down south country spanking.

24 -21 - Wishful thinking. If Bowie scores 10 I'll be shocked.

Valdosta State 35
      Bowie State 6

Again I HOPE I'M WRONG. Let's go Bulldogs!!!!!!

Comment

Horseshoe equals luck. We beat you 31-10. Did those four turnovers force themselves, or did our defense have something to do with it?

Comment

Extremely proud of the Bowie State Bulldogs! Enjoy the experience and savor every moment. Valdosta is big, fast, and well-coached and will be a very hard out, but it is not impossible. The game plan offensively is simple, protect the QB, find the open receivers! Defensively, stop the run, period. If Bowie can do those two things, they definitely have a fighting chance. I think it will be a close game if Bowie can keep their composure. Damon Wilson-coached teams in the past have wilted once execution breakdowns begin to happen in big games. This cannot happen against Valdosta, or it will get ugly quickly! They are (Valdosta) extremely tough to beat at home! However, I'm ridding with the Bulldogs in a slugfest! CIAA4LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
            First let me say I'm trilled for Bowie and the CIAA conference as a whole. I hope this success expands and continues for the conference. I think we can all agree that the CIAA is not one of D2 CFB strongest conferences.

I personally believe Bowie has no chance in beating Valdosta State. BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG. VUU played them this year I believe and they gave them a good old down south country spanking.

24 -21 - Wishful thinking. If Bowie scores 10 I'll be shocked.

Valdosta State 35
            Bowie State 6

Again I HOPE I'M WRONG. Let's go Bulldogs!!!!!!
            I don't expect anyone on this post to share my opinion to be honest. I don't think anyone outside of South Carolina expected Newberry to defeat the defending champs, therefore I don't expect anyone outside of the DMV to believe in Bowie. All I know is defense wins championships, and we have the best one in DII. Valdosta did indeed dominate Virginia Union, but L-R dominated Va. State and we dominated them. The common opponent theory isn't always applicable. If it were, you could say Bowie beat Newberry, who Beat West Florida, who Beat Valdosta lol

I have a tremendous respect for Valdosta State and all season they have been the #1 team in nation( in my opinion). However, if anyone can put a stop to their dominance, it's a vaunted defense. Why not Bowie!!!

Looking forward to a great COMPETITIVE game

Comment

Comment

Valdosta loss to West Florida, so they can be beat.

I didn't travel to many WSSU games this year, so I had a chance to check out a lot of Bowie's games. Outside of the Virginia State game your D has looked really good, don't let the DSU score fool people Bowie's special teams and O spotted them a bunch of points in the first half of that game.

The keys to victory will be playing a complete game on both sides of the ball. I got faith in your D, but the O will have to show up. Bowie's O can't have a bad day, as I think VSU's O will be too much for the Bowie D to shutdown like they did against Newberry and Chowan. I don't think the winner of this game will be held to under 21.

If your O can get a few scores, and maybe a timely defensive score, then Bowie can actually win this one. The O will have to play one of their best games of the year this week.

Comment

Several things went Bowie way in both games. Sometimes its just the way it works especially when playing at home field. I guess the biggest one was the third and twenty two long pass completion against Newberry. Twenty yards rushing total and two long pass completions for a hundred thirty yards and around ninety five yards on thirteen other passes. You guys were fortunate to win especially with all the penalties too. Impressive defense but a good passing attack will not allow you to put eight in the box against Valdosta. Great season Bowie your senior class has made some life long memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                    Several things went Bowie way in both games. Sometimes its just the way it works especially when playing at home field. I guess the biggest one was the third and twenty two long pass completion against Newberry. Twenty yards rushing total and two long pass completions for a hundred thirty yards and around ninety five yards on thirteen other passes. You guys were fortunate to win especially with all the penalties too. Impressive defense but a good passing attack will not allow you to put eight in the box against Valdosta. Great season Bowie your senior class has made some life long memories.

Comment

Valdosta has made it a bit of a habit ending CIAA teams' seasons. Bowie in 2018, WSSU in 2012.

I'll take Bowie's D against just about anybody and hope they get enough offense to stay in it the whole way. I think Valdosta is going to be in a Bulldog-fight this week.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                        Valdosta has made it a bit of a habit ending CIAA teams' seasons. Bowie in 2018, WSSU in 2012.

I'll take Bowie's D against just about anybody and hope they get enough offense to stay in it the whole way. I think Valdosta is going to be in a Bulldog-fight this week.
                        I thought VUU had a good D until they played Valdosta. Point being you are as good as your competition makes you look.

I personally haven't seen lock down defense this playoffs by Bowie but other teams play bad. LR you can argue played their worst game of the season and still had a chance to win. So did Newberry.

I will say coach Wilson is a great coach.

Let's go Bulldogs!

Comment

I thought VUU had a good D until they played Valdosta. Point being you are as good as your competition makes you look.

I personally haven't seen lock down defense this playoffs by Bowie but other teams play bad. LR you can argue played their worst game of the season and still had a chance to win. So did Newberry.

Let's go Bulldogs!
                          Damn, so all the teams just so happen to play bad versus Bowie defense, but we aren't a lockdown defense lmfao... I expect nothing less from a Trojan fan. Here's to hoping Valdosta has a "bad game" versus the dawgs.

Comment

Let's go Bulldogs!
                            Newberry had a chance, but as it relates to LR I think it's hard to say a team that loss by 21 still had a chance.

The competition argument is the same thing people were saying during our 2011 and 2012 runs. From top to bottom the CIAA isn't a strong conference, but some of the top teams still provide a challenge. Also, Bowie scheduled some quality OOC games this year that have obviously paid off for them. Granted it rained for about half the game against Chowan, but look at how they shut down Chowan's O and the conference player of the year at QB.

Comment

There are two interesting D vs O matchups this week. Bowie vs Valdosta and Northwest vs Ferris. Both defenses will be facing the best athletes and offenses they have seen all year.

I watched Bowie play a little in round 1, that is a good defense but I don't think it's as good as NW. Any team willing to spread them out and commit to throwing the ball will give them problems.

Both Valdosta and Ferris are monsters and just different athletes at almost every position than most CIAA teams and all but the top couple of MIAA teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X