Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crixus View Post

If Conference Carolinas adds football then UNC Penbroke football would leave the MEC. When do you think they'll actually add football, or is it just talk?
    It might end up being sooner rather than later if they can add another football school. I wouldn't be shocked if Notre Dame College ultimately leaves for the GMAC within the next few years to join their fellow Ohio D2 schools (other than Frostburg State, located in Maryland's western panhandle, they're the only MEC school located outside of West Virginia).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

It might end up being sooner rather than later if they can add another football school. I wouldn't be shocked if Notre Dame College ultimately leaves for the GMAC within the next few years to join their fellow Ohio D2 schools (other than Frostburg State, located in Maryland's western panhandle, they're the only MEC school located outside of West Virginia).
      Mt. Olive is the school I would expect to offer football at some point in the near future, as long as it doesn't take away from the funding of the baseball program. If Chowan, Barton, NC Wesleyan, and Methodist can field teams then Mt. Olive should be able to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

If Conference Carolinas adds football then UNC Penbroke football would leave the MEC. When do you think they'll actually add football, or is it just talk?
        If memory serves me, there has been one primary poster predicting that CC is going to start football. It may happen in the future, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere as "eminent" as that poster would lead you to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

GMAC folks have been predicting this since NDC first joined the MEC...Heck, I remember a number of posts (all based on unnamed "sources" "in the know") that said the NDC move was going to happen any day now! We're 11 years in and they haven't moved yet!!!...it just NEVER seems to happen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            GMAC folks have been predicting this since NDC first joined the MEC...Heck, I remember a number of posts (all based on unnamed "sources" "in the know") that said the NDC move was going to happen any day now! We're 11 years in and they haven't moved yet!!!...it just NEVER seems to happen!!!
            It seems like NDC is very happy in the MEC so the talk is just wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I was told that there was a time when NGU was more than willing to join the SAC, but at the time the SAC required the option of all it's members playing conference games on the Sabbath, to which (due to religious reasons) NGU was opposed to. There was also some stubbornness on both sides at that time. Once the SAC completely snubbed NGU in favor of adding Brevard, well NGU has never forgotten and never looked back as they moved forward.
              Brevard was added to fill the place left by Presbyterian (who never should have moved to D1), but that was when we were freshman and didn't know who else the league looked at.. NGU had that SAC alliance thing for a couple years and I know put a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths during that time. I've also been told that the administrative folks at NGU are no fun to deal with and based on my conversations with folks, they're thankful the SAC never added them.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Brevard was added to fill the place left by Presbyterian (who never should have moved to D1), but that was when we were freshman and didn't know who else the league looked at.. NGU had that SAC alliance thing for a couple years and I know put a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths during that time. I've also been told that the administrative folks at NGU are no fun to deal with and based on my conversations with folks, they're thankful the SAC never added them.
                Apparently, one event that really soured the SAC on NGU was when NGU was part of the alliance and had a record high enough that they would have won the conference had they been a member they gave themselves a SAC Alliance Championship (with rings!). Never mind that there was no such thing, and when Limestone reached agreement to be part of the SAC schedule (before associate membership) it was termed a scheduling agreement...

Comment

I haven't heard anything on this subject for quite a while now. I will never be surprised if NDC eventually moves to the GMAC (really, I don't think anybody will be), but I also won't be surprised if they stay in the MEC for many years to come. From an all-sports perspective, the GMAC makes more sense. However, I think NDC is more likely to continue to consistently make FB playoffs by staying in the MEC.

Interestingly, every year that passes by leaves less and less administrators that were involved in the GMAC / NDC and GLIAC / NDC fallouts. So, you would think that increases the chances of a GMAC move.

However, every year that passes by also increases familiarity with the WV schools. So, you would think that this would benefit the chances of status quo.

Honestly, NDC is in a good spot either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

I haven't heard anything on this subject for quite a while now. I will never be surprised if NDC eventually moves to the GMAC (really, I don't think anybody will be), but I also won't be surprised if they stay in the MEC for many years to come. From an all-sports perspective, the GMAC makes more sense. However, I think NDC is more likely to continue to consistently make FB playoffs by staying in the MEC.

Interestingly, every year that passes by leaves less and less administrators that were involved in the GMAC / NDC and GLIAC / NDC fallouts. So, you would think that increases the chances of a GMAC move.

However, every year that passes by also increases familiarity with the WV schools. So, you would think that this would benefit the chances of status quo.

Honestly, NDC is in a good spot either way.
                    One of the major reasons given for the supposed NDC move was the years that they had spent in the NIAA playing against many of the current GMAC teams. I think now that NDC has more years in the MEC than they did in the NIAA so, presumably, the same logic can now be applied to why NDC moving from the MEC does NOT make sense anymore...history and rivalries against the MEC lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Apparently, one event that really soured the SAC on NGU was when NGU was part of the alliance and had a record high enough that they would have won the conference had they been a member they gave themselves a SAC Alliance Championship (with rings!).
                      If a school is added to a conference as an 'Alliance Member' and had a better record than the other members, I would have no problem at all with that school being recognized as the Conference Alliance Champion and players awarded rings based on their accomplishment.
                      Last edited by Eagle74; 01-24-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

And that is as brief description of the NGU administration at the time as you needed.

Comment

I believe the ongoing tough competition that the GSC offers NGU has benefited the program quite a bit. Ironically, the vast majority of NGU's wins in recent years have come OOC against SAC teams.

Comment

One of the major reasons given for the supposed NDC move was the years that they had spent in the NIAA playing against many of the current GMAC teams. I think now that NDC has more years in the MEC than they did in the NIAA so, presumably, the same logic can now be applied to why NDC moving from the MEC does NOT make sense anymore...history and rivalries against the MEC lineup.
                            Agree. Recent history and rivalries is now a reason to stay, not go. Also, I think NDC's path to FB playoffs is cleaner in the MEC.

Comment

I just noticed that VA state is introducing a women soccer team. Is that an indication of Bluefield State being accepted to the CIAA??

Comment

Originally posted by Futholic View Post
                                I just noticed that VA state is introducing a women soccer team. Is that an indication of Bluefield State being accepted to the CIAA??
                                Not necessarily. How many other CIAA schools sponsor women's soccer? Lincoln is the only other CIAA member (that I'm aware of) which sponsors women's soccer, so I'm not reading too much into that. It'll be interesting to see if VSU ends up as an affiliate member in another conference for soccer or if they'll simply go the independent route as Lincoln currently does.

That said, I'd suspect it's not a matter of if Bluefield State ends up in the CIAA, but when - though that might depend on a future Conference Carolinas football league (which almost feels inevitable) and if there's even interest from the MEC in bringing BSC into their league.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X