3 West Florida 7-1 6-1
    4 Virginia Union 8-1 8-1
    5 Wingate 8-2 8-2
    6 Mars Hill 7-1 7-1
    7 Fort Valley State 8-2 8-2
    8 Limestone 7-2 7-2
    9 Tuskegee 8-1 8-1
    10 West Georgia 7-2 7-2

Honestly didn't expect Benedict get the #1 seed.

SN/OT: Do you guys think the CIAA should consider moving to an 11 week schedule like the PSAC and now South Atlantic has? Would it be beneficial?

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
      Honestly didn't expect Benedict get the #1 seed.

SN/OT: Do you guys think the CIAA should consider moving to an 11 week schedule like the PSAC and now South Atlantic has? Would it be beneficial?
      I figured they would, and Benedict has been not just winning but been rolling through teams. Albany State game was the only one they didn't win by double digits. There is still the human element and I think they realize it would look suspect not having them #1 at this point.

Yes, the CIAA needs an 11th week of games. Granted this year VUU is in a good position not having to risk another loss.

If the conference doesn't want to be like the SAC or PSAC then I would love to see some type of agreement between the SIAC and CIAA to play some week 11 games. If I remember correctly VSU helped Tuskegee out and played them in a last minute week 11 game to help TU's SOS. Maybe we could see the return of the Pioneer Bowl and play it in week 11 against the top team in each conference that isn't in the conference championship game. If that was the case then we'd have FVSU playing VUU, which would tremendously help both teams SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

If the conference doesn't want to be like the SAC or PSAC then I would love to see some type of agreement between the SIAC and CIAA to play some week 11 games. If I remember correctly VSU helped Tuskegee out and played them in a last minute week 11 game to help TU's SOS. Maybe we could see the return of the Pioneer Bowl and play it in week 11 against the top team in each conference that isn't in the conference championship game. If that was the case then we'd have FVSU playing VUU, which would tremendously help both teams SOS.
        Surprised to see Benedict at #1 but we’ll deserved.

And, yes, we (VSU) helped Tuskegee out a few years ago with an 11th game and, in spite of the fact that we beat them on their own turf, they got in. I’ve been an advocate of the CIAA playing an eleven game schedule ever since and more so now that it seems almost every other conference plays 11. Screw the championship game. Nobody wants to go to Salem, Virginia, other than the fans and teams that are in it! If it was played in a city in the footprint of any CIAA school or HBCU, it would attract fans in the area who simply enjoy HBCU football as well as fans from the competing teams. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is for a Chowan-Fayetteville State matchup. I also won’t be surprised if the CIAA champion doesn’t make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

And, yes, we (VSU) helped Tuskegee out a few years ago with an 11th game and, in spite of the fact that we beat them on their own turf, they got in. I’ve been an advocate of the CIAA playing an eleven game schedule ever since and more so now that it seems almost every other conference plays 11. Screw the championship game. Nobody wants to go to Salem, Virginia, other than the fans and teams that are in it! If it was played in a city in the footprint of any CIAA school or HBCU, it would attract fans in the area who simply enjoy HBCU football as well as fans from the competing teams. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is for a Chowan-Fayetteville State matchup. I also won’t be surprised if the CIAA champion doesn’t make the playoffs.
          I expect attendance to be bad. FSU doesn't really travel well for football, so the only hope is that Chowan fans show up to support their first trip to the championship game.

I was a fan of the game moving to Salem, but it really hasn't done that well. I think it's time for it to move back to Durham or find a feasible place to play it in Richmond.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

I assumed Salem's proximity to Roanoke would have been a benefit. Was I wrong for thinking that part of VA has a decent CIAA/HBCU alum base?

Also, given their records and the number of teams above them in the SR2 ranking it's all but assured the champion isn't going to the playoffs. Fayetteville's best hope of getting in would have been a championship game win over an undefeated or even a one loss Virginia Union. Chowan had other plans lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

I assumed Salem's proximity to Roanoke would have been a benefit. Was I wrong for thinking that part of VA has a decent CIAA/HBCU alum base?

Also, given their records and the number of teams above them in the SR2 ranking it's all but assured the champion isn't going to the playoffs. Fayetteville's best hope of getting in would have been a championship game win over an undefeated or even a one loss Virginia Union. Chowan had other plans lol.
              That was my original thought as well. Roanoke, Lynchburg, Martinsville, and Danville all have a decent HBCU alumni base. It's just that casual fans aren't really coming to the CIAA football championship game. CIAA's best bet for attendance is to put it somewhere that makes it easy for the respective schools fans to get to. I guess at least in Durham the game was very close for the Southern schools and their fans to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

That was my original thought as well. Roanoke, Lynchburg, Martinsville, and Danville all have a decent HBCU alumni base. It's just that casual fans aren't really coming to the CIAA football championship game. CIAA's best bet for attendance is to put it somewhere that makes it easy for the respective schools fans to get to. I guess at least in Durham the game was very close for the Southern schools and their fans to attend.
                I get the sense some people may be holding the football championship game to the same standard as the basketball tournament when they are two different animals.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X