Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA expected to add Bluefield State, cut ties with Chowan

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/12/08/c...s-with-chowan/

I wonder if this will have any effect on Claflin? They pretty much replaced Chowan as a full conference member. The CIAA would have 13 members with Claflin being the only school that doesn't have a football program.

Also, Chowan football to the SAC?

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
      I wonder if this will have any effect on Claflin? They pretty much replaced Chowan as a full conference member. The CIAA would have 13 members with Claflin being the only school that doesn't have a football program.

Also, Chowan football to the SAC?
      I don't think the CIAA minds having uneven divisions in non-football sports; when you use divisional standings it doesn't matter if one division plays 18 games and the other plays 17.

Chowan to the SAC seems likely, but probably not until 2024 when Anderson starts up. Scheduling could be rough for Chowan in 2023... maybe SIAC teams will be willing to play them?

Comment

I could foresee Chowan planning to play a SIAC heavy schedule for a season or two. I bet they are going to push heavy for one more football school to open up football for Conference Carolinas.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I don't think the CIAA minds having uneven divisions in non-football sports; when you use divisional standings it doesn't matter if one division plays 18 games and the other plays 17.

Chowan to the SAC seems likely, but probably not until 2024 when Anderson starts up. Scheduling could be rough for Chowan in 2023... maybe SIAC teams will be willing to play them?
          When we came back to the CIAA it was uneven for a couple of years until St Pauls folded. So yeah they can figure out a way to make work. I'm just curious what that would look like for divisions. In my opinion they have to go back to a East/West, because Bluefield State is acutally closer to the current Southern Schools.

Western: Bluefield, WSSU, JCSU, LC, FSU, Claflin
          Eastern: St Augs, Shaw, Bowie, VSU, VUU, ECSU, Lincoln (this setup would actually get St Augs and Shaw back together as it currently looks weird having two schools in the same city but in different divisions for all sports outside of football).

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
            I could foresee Chowan planning to play a SIAC heavy schedule for a season or two. I bet they are going to push heavy for one more football school to open up football for Conference Carolinas.
            I agree, I can imagine Chowan is about to lean heavily on their fellow CC members to start getting out of their football conference memberships and trying to get another school or two to start sponsoring the sport. With all of the other schools who have started football I'm surprised Mt Olive hasn't started up a team. This might also be prime time for the CC to try and get a D3 school like Christopher Newport to make the jump up.

Comment

Soooo, let me get this straight, The CIAA is adding a school which is a much further distance from it's central footprint, a school with only 11% Black / African American enrolment, and simply kicking to the curb a school (pretty much the same size) much closer to the conference's central footprint, with an enrollment of 66% Black / African American? All because of the HBCU identifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                Soooo, let me get this straight, The CIAA is adding a school which is a much further distance from it's central footprint, a school with only 11% Black / African American enrolment, and simply kicking to the curb a school (pretty much the same size) much closer to the conference's central footprint, with an enrollment of 66% Black / African American? All because of the HBCU identifier?
                Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I have never really understood why the somewhat arbitrary HBCU moniker garners all the extra expense of extra travel and cost across all sports in order to play in an all HBCU conference. Looking at you Kentucky State and Central State.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I have never really understood why the somewhat arbitrary HBCU moniker garners all the extra expense of extra travel and cost across all sports in order to play in an all HBCU conference. Looking at you Kentucky State and Central State.
                  This is not what happened. Please don't fall for Eagle's game.

The HBCU designation is an official congressional designation by way of the Higher Education Act of 1965, so it's more than just a moniker. There is a set list of HBCUs and unless Congress makes changes to said list there will be no addition or subtraction of schools no matter how the demographics of their enrollment look. So it's more than just a moniker that has been adopted.

The CIAA and SIAC have both been progressive. The CIAA had Chowan as a member and also offered UNCP membership back some years ago but UNCP only wanted to be an associate member for football so the commissioner said no thanks. The SIAC also has a non HBCU member in Spring Hill. Also, there are D2 HBCUs that aren't members of predominantly HBCU conferences (Lincoln MO, WVSU, and UDC) (Cheyney also wasn't in a predominantly HBCU conference when they were D2). Central State, Kentucky State, and Lincoln PA are really the only D2 HBCUs that you could argue that they could go to other conferences to cut down travel. I know Central State was in the GMAC but I'm still not sure if they were kicked out or left on their own accord.

When it comes to Chowan and Bluefield State the racial demographics of the school and HBCU status is irrelevant. What happened a few years back was Chowan decided to leave the CIAA for the CC due to the number of sports Chowan offered that were not sponsored by the CIAA. It was beneficial for both the CIAA and Chowan to have Chowan as an associate member for football and women's bowling. I don't think Chowan still sponsors women's bowling so that just left them playing football. Recently Bluefield State more or less contacted the CIAA asking to become a full member. Since the football association with Chowan was up this year it made since to go with Bluefield State who wants to be all in versus Chowan, who was a fine member, but would obviously be obligated to the CC if they ever start sponsoring football.

Chowan was an easy trip for a lot of NC and VA CIAA schools; however, even though Bluefield State is in WV it's in the Southern part of the state. So it's only like 2 hours to WSSU and like 2.5 hours to LC and JCSU. Plus many CIAA schools have scheduled Bluefield State in various sports over the years so CIAA schools are comfortable with the travel there. At the end of the day this was a proactive move to secure a 12th football member and 13th full member instead of waiting around for Chowan to leave on their own which would have had us scrambling to find another member.

Comment

Yep, that makes a whooole lot of sense. Glad the CIAA gave Chowan a good amount of notice ahead of time before pulling the plug.

Comment

Yep, that makes a whooole lot of sense. Glad the CIAA gave Chowan a good amount of notice ahead of time before pulling the plug.
                      I'm going to guess they gave them whatever notice of non renewal was required by their contract.

Please tell me would you be beating the drum for the CIAA if it was Chowan who decided not to renew the associate membership?

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Please tell me would you be beating the drum for the CIAA if it was Chowan who decided not to renew the associate membership?
                        If it was the other way around, and Chowan abruptly pulled out of the CIAA alliance, that would be an easy fix, with each CIAA team that had Chowan on their upcoming schedule with only one slot to fill as opposed to Chowan having basically their whole schedule to now try and fill, with time running out.

Moving forward, I wish the best for both Bluefield State University and Chowan University. Maybe the other Conference Carolina football programs can help Chowan with filling open dates, if it's not to late.

Comment

If it was the other way around, and Chowan abruptly pulled out of the CIAA alliance, that would be an easy fix, with each CIAA team that had Chowan on their upcoming schedule with only one slot to fill as opposed to Chowan having basically their whole schedule to now try and fill, with time running out.

Moving forward, I wish the best for both Bluefield State University and Chowan University. Maybe the other Conference Carolina football programs can help Chowan with filling open dates, if it's not to late.
                          With their other conference obligations - UNCP to the Mountain East, North Greenville with the GSC, and Barton and Erskine with their SAC scheduling alliance, they might not be able to fully accommodate Chowan's need to fill their schedule's open dates.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
                            The CIAA and SIAC have both been progressive. The CIAA had Chowan as a member and also offered UNCP membership back some years ago but UNCP only wanted to be an associate member for football so the commissioner said no thanks. The SIAC also has a non HBCU member in Spring Hill. Also, there are D2 HBCUs that aren't members of predominantly HBCU conferences (Lincoln MO, WVSU, and UDC) (Cheyney also wasn't in a predominantly HBCU conference when they were D2). Central State, Kentucky State, and Lincoln PA are really the only D2 HBCUs that you could argue that they could go to other conferences to cut down travel. I know Central State was in the GMAC but I'm still not sure if they were kicked out or left on their own accord.
                            The GMAC has a specific set of core sports which members must sponsor (unfortunately, I can't locate the GMAC's constitution and bylaws on their website, so I can't confirm which core sports are required for sponsorship). As I recall, Central State didn't sponsor all of the required core sports, which was a factor in their leaving the GMAC for the SIAC (another factor was that Central State was the only public school in a league of private schools, so it wasn't really a cultural fit, either).
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X