Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chowan Hawks/Erskine find a new home...

The Chowan Hawks and Erskine join the Gulf South

https://gscsports.org/news/2023/1/23...e-members.aspx

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
    The Chowan Hawks and Erskine join the Gulf South

https://gscsports.org/news/2023/1/23...e-members.aspx
    Just a short term rental, so to speak, until Conference Carolinas sponsors football beginning in the 2025 season...

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Just a short term rental, so to speak, until Conference Carolinas sponsors football beginning in the 2025 season...
      Makes sense! The Gulf South is a very tough conference, I see each of these teams getting scheduled as folk's "Homecoming" game! Whew!

Comment

So why did Chowan lose 15-18 players to UNC Pembroke? What is the real story???? That's a whole lot of players!!

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
          So why did Chowan lose 15-18 players to UNC Pembroke? What is the real story???? That's a whole lot of players!!
          They lost their coach to UNC Pembroke.

Comment

When Conference Carolinas starts football how many football playing schools will be left in the Gulf South?

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
              When Conference Carolinas starts football how many football playing schools will be left in the Gulf South?
              Six

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Yep, follow the coach and get to pay the promise plan tuition. Unless a player was sitting on a full ride at Chowan it made a lot of sense for them to make the move to UNCP.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                  Six: Barton, Erskine, Chowan, North Greenville, Shorter and Pembroke.

I'm not sure if any of the other current Conference Carolinas members have had any discussions about adding football, or even care to. Heck Converse didn't start having boys on campus until recently.

Belmont Abbey
                  Converse
                  Emmanuel
                  Francis Marion
                  King
                  Lees-McRae
                  Mount Olive
                  Southern Wesleyan
                  Young Harris

Comment

When Carolinas Conference starts football, there will be 6 teams left in the Gulf South, assuming none move up to FCS or away to another conference (GAC possibly): Delta State, Mississippi College, W Alabama, W Florida, W Georgia and Valdosta St.

6 schools with play in the Carolinas Conference, as Canadarican noted. None of the other schools listed after these have any plans to add football at this time. And with the SAC and MEC signing their scheduling agreement starting in 2025, the 6 CC teams are gonna be in a pinch to fill out their schedules. Seems the likely move would be for the 6 CC teams and the 6 GCS team to sign a scheduling alliance for a few years, but that's gonna be some significant travel expenses for some programs.

If I were the CC commissioner, I'd be talking to a few NAIA schools in the Appalachian Athletic Conference about moving to NCAA D2 and joining CC. Likely candidates might be Reinhardt (GA), Point (GA), St. Andrews (NC) and Bluefield (WV). [Bluefield University, not Bluefield St, which is in the CIAA].
                    Last edited by Mule; 06-29-2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I'd still like to see Christopher Newport join Carolinas. They won a D3 title and nearly won 1 or 2 more. Finished 7th in the D3 Directors' Cup.

NAIA Bluefield University is in VA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                        I'd still like to see Christopher Newport join Carolinas. They won a D3 title and nearly won 1 or 2 more. Finished 7th in the D3 Directors' Cup.

NAIA Bluefield University is in VA.
                        I've been saying for years that Christopher Newport needs to move up, and CC would be the likely landing place if they did. After Frostburg moved up I figured that a CNU announcement would be coming shortly, but to my surprise they are still hanging around in D3.

I'd also like to see Mount Olive go ahead and field a team. It's funny because high schools and third parties will host summer football camps there but Mount Olive doesn't have a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Thanks for the info! That makes a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Chowan and Erskine posters: Welcome to the GSC. Feel free to post in our forum at any time. We're pretty friendly......most of the time!! LoL.......

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X