Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fayetteville State University or UNC-Fayetteville?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Sooo, let the students vote on if they would like a change or not, they are the future.

In this situation, I believe the older Alumni should step out of the way and give them the choice.

Like I said, I have both family and friends who attended FSU, and they have no problem with the potential new option.
    I think this is too big of a decision solely to be left up to the vote of current students. You wouldn't want to potentially burn bridges with your alums.
    ​​​​​​
    If the current administration and/or UNC Board is considering a name change I hope they conduct a very rigorous fact finding mission to truly solicit feedback and gage how such name change would be received.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
      Apparently this topic came up a few years ago as well, whenever Senator Phil Berger put together a bill that would lower tuition at FSU by $500 for in-state students and $2,500 for out-of-state students. This was back in 2016. A name change to the aforementioned UNC Fayetteville was part of the bill. It seems republican lawmakers are the ones pushing for the name change based on multiple news articles.

According to articles from news stations then in 2016, there was a lot of alum and students who did not want a name change. Now, a few years later, it seems some folks are more open to it.

just goes to show how much an opinion can change in a few years when you have an entirely different student base!
      I never even realized there was the name change proposal in 2016 tied to what ultimately became the NC Promise Plan.

Since Western Carolina and ECSU didn't have to change their names when they joined the Promise Plan I'm guessing that FSU can't be forced to change the name as part of the Promise Plan.

I'm really trying to understand what the state lawmakers and/or UNC Board's fascination is with FSU changing their name.

Comment

Interesting, VSUTrojan stated that FSU has been underfunded by the UNC System as compared to other System schools. A lot of the other schools are more self sufficient in the way of tuition and fees being paid for by students. I E, UNC-W has around 45% of their students receiving subsidies, while FSU has around 96% (and has been for years). So funding is received in different ways for schools. A lot also depends on the enrollment numbers, Independent contributions, donations, etc.

Comment

ECSU - 95%

NC State - 20%

Comment

Interesting, VSUTrojan stated that FSU has been underfunded by the UNC System as compared to other System schools. A lot of the other schools are more self sufficient in the way of tuition and fees being paid for by students. I E, UNC-W has around 45% of their students receiving subsidies, while FSU has around 96% (and has been for years). So funding is received in different ways for schools. A lot also depends on the enrollment numbers, Independent contributions, donations, etc.
            See Eagle, you are a prime example of why we can't have an honest discussion on topics like this. You conveniently exclude all of the "history" of these institutions and how they came to be in the first place! It absolutely blows my mind that you immediately jump to current stats and figures but ignore all the historical precedents like underfunding, racial discrimination, and bigotry by lawmakers. You totally exclude the fact that these schools filled an educational gap created by segregation, Jim Crow, and outright racism. HBCU school names mean so much "because" of their heritage! You so quickly point to current regulatory options and proposals and leave "how we got here" from the equation! That's the issue... if no one cares what a school is named then why is the legislature so hellbent on changing them? No one but the white conservative majority in this state, period! Why... control! HBCUs continue to serve low-income and underprivileged minority communities, that was their mandate and that still remains their purpose. It is very interesting how you used the word "self-sufficient" when referencing the PWIs in the system but then point to enrollment numbers, independent contributions, and donations as if these institutions were ever on a level playing field. Even more noteworthy is that HBCUs "survived" in the face of these obstacles. When did NC State or UNC Chapel Hill admit their first minority students, I'll wait, but now, somehow, HBCU institutions are supposed to have comparable funding streams while continuing to serve poor and low-income communities. It is not a "whoa is me" when talking about HBCUs, however, their lineage and history absolutely matter! Process improvement is always warranted, and that discussion we can have any time, but not if it strips the history and heritage, what's in a name, EVERYTHING!

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson (which I already knew). But in your view, and if everything revolves around the historic establishment as being a HBCU, and how preservation of the name is so important, again from the beginning the name has changed multiple times over the years. I may be wrong, but based on your view, of preserving the important HBCU original naming, a push for going back to the school's orgins and changing the name back to State Normal School, or further back to the historic origins of the State Colored Normal School. Again, leave it up to today's generation to decide whether to give it an updated name, or stay entrenched in the past. I really don't care which direction they decide to go. It's now their school .

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson (which I already knew). But in your view, and if everything revolves around the historic establishment as being a HBCU, and how preservation of the name is so important, again from the beginning the name has changed multiple times over the years. I may be wrong, but based on your view, of preserving the important HBCU original naming, a push for going back to the school's orgins and changing the name back to State Normal School, or further back to the historic origins of the State Colored Normal School. Again, leave it up to today's generation to decide whether to give it an updated name, or stay entrenched in the past. I really don't care which direction they decide to go. It's now their school .
                Your point is taken, Eagle, but not based on facts, all name changes and petitions for name changes at HBCUs were driven as a matter of course for "business" reasons regarding access to funding, and/or "mandates" imposed by the State or Federal Government! Slater Industrial Academy, now Winston-Salem State changed names as the need, and ability to secure/obtain state and federal dollars changed, again, limited access to resources. Since you say you know your history then you're aware that HBCUs for decades, were not "eligible" to receive State and some Federal funding because of their status. (i.e. Colored or Normal Schools created to educate former slaves) thereby forcing their hand to change. The biggest difference now is that those who control the purse string are strongarming change when no one has asked for it! So ask yourself, why? The progression and evolution of HBCU names were born out of a need to access resources, as state and federal legislation changed, period! Current HBCUs within the UNC System meet those criteria, so why affix programs and initiatives to name changes... Control! Of course, I don't expect to get it but lastly, it is not "their school" it is the legacy and heritage of all who sacrificed and supported these institutions, it is my prayer that this generation remains the "gatekeepers" for our institutions.

Comment

The actual historic fact that the original names were sold out for the benefit of obtaining state and federal $$$ is unfortunate no doubt, but what was done was done, no looking back.

As it pertains to history, wise philosophers of the past stated "Those who spend to much time relishing in and focusing on the past, become blinded in seeing the true light of opportunities of the future. MLK was no doubt a true visionary of what can be accomplished and achieved by looking forward.

Like I said, I have both family and friends who are proud FSU Alumni, and I wish the school the very best. No matter what is decided, the school will always be known as an HBCU.

Comment

You say the schools "sold out," I would argue that they adjusted accordingly to survive, there is a difference! However, Dr. King too looked back, and said that the federal government set up land grant colleges for whites in the west and mid-west and created commissions/bureaus to support them and when "we" (Blacks/African Americans) come to Washington we want our check! Yeah, like I said, if you think it's looking backward, then that's your opinion but history also teaches that those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it! Not on my watch! I do agree with one point you made, I will support FSU whatever "THEY", not Raleigh decides!

Comment

I fully agree with the fact that it is wise to learn from the past as to not repeat it, and I do. However I do not dwell on every detail from all of the huge number of mistakes that were made multiple generations ago, like I used to. I'm now more forward thinking in my thoughts and ambitions in the progressive directions I'm headed.

Like I said, best of luck to FSU with whatever decision is made by this generation of Bronco students. They are the future, as fortunately, times and people have changed quite a bit, especially in recent years.

Comment

It took 4 years for FSU to finally embrace the NC Promise Program, after mostly older Alumni and older activist opposed the change. Now, FSU is prospering in a big way through rapid growth, funding, and additional opportunities since agreeing to be a part of the very successful program. Again, it was today's generation which helped push this through.
                        Some older activist and Alumi claimed that the program would diminish FSU's status of being an HBCU. It's now been proven that they were completely wrong.

Comment

Sooo, let the students vote on if they would like a change or not, they are the future.

In this situation, I believe the older Alumni should step out of the way and give them the choice.

Like I said, I have both family and friends who attended FSU, and they have no problem with the potential new option.
                          Right, shut out the alumni who spent four years of their lives from the decision making process. Brilliant idea. That's a good way to alienate said alumni from ever having any attachment to their alma mater.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

LOL, I've seen it way too many times where you have older Alumni (usually the more vocal ones) doing anything they can to hold on to their ole glory days of back when they were in college.
                            This includes any changes in names, replacement of old dorms, classrooms, or modification of athletic facilities. They just can't let go, and will use any justification possible to ward off any changes.

Comment

Let me add, in trying so hard to hold on to the ole glory days of the past, the older Alumni are simply impeding progress for today's generation of students. Unfortunate, many fail to except changes, even positive changes.

Comment

Let me add, in trying so hard to hold on to the ole glory days of the past, the older Alumni are simply impeding progress for today's generation of students. Unfortunate, many fail to except changes, even positive changes.
                                How does fighting Fayetteville State University becoming UNC at Fayetteville impede progress for today's generation of students?

Why would Fayetteville State Univeristy being renamed to UNC at Fayetteville be considered a positive change?

I agree that some alums hang on to outdated mentalities that can be harmful to a school; however, this thread is about FSU becoming UNCF (which would cause all types of confusion with the United Negro College Fund). I don't believe arguments about impeding progress or fighting positive change apply to the proposed name change.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X