Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fayetteville State University or UNC-Fayetteville?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the new argument is that if the students of FSU prefer to make a change with it's name (while always remaining an HBCU), they shouldn't, because it would cause all kinds of problems with the United Negro College Fund. That's a bit of a reach don't you think?
    The older Alumni tried to impede progress at FSU by trying to stop the school from being a part of the NC Promise Program, which is now benefitting a lot of Bronco students these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      So the new argument is that if the students of FSU prefer to make a change with it's name (while always remaining an HBCU), they shouldn't, because it would cause all kinds of problems with the United Negro College Fund. That's a bit of a reach don't you think?
      The older Alumni tried to impede progress at FSU by trying to stop the school from being a part of the NC Promise Program, which is now benefitting a lot of Bronco students these days.
      Not a new argument for not selecting the name, just pointing out that UNCF is a well known organization in the HBCU world and the likelihood of confusion. However, UNCF is a registered trademark which could prevent a new University of North Carolina at Fayetteville from being able to register the UNCF acronym.

You and I have been going back and forth for years over this Promise Plan, and I want to stick to the topic of name change without bringing in the merits or concerns with the Promise Plan.

So since you didn't address my questions I will guess that you don't view the alum fighting the name change to be a situation where they are trying to impede the progress of today's generation of students. I will also guess that you don't consider the name change to be either a positive nor negative thing for the University.

This hits back to one of my earlier posts. What's the fascination with the name change from the people in Raleigh? If there is no stated positive value or need to a name change then why even waste the time and all the money that would have to go into rebranding the University?

Comment

First of all, you can't easily dismiss the very successful NC Promise Program which is fully accredited with saving an N C HBCU (ECSU) from being mentioned in past tense, as they were on life support prior to becoming a part of the Program. This program was opposed by both Older Alumni and activist. Add in the UNC Board of Governor's approved Military Scholarship Program which is now benefitting both FSU and ECSU in a big way, and things are really looking good for both HBCU Institutions.
        In reference to the mentioned UNC Board of Governors, we both know that ultimately they have all of the strings in hand for making decisions. As we see with both ECSU, and now with FSU, they are now receiving excellent per capita funding based on recent corporation with the Board. So like you said, it really doesn't matter what either one of us says, the facts are, we aren't the decision makers, and neither are the school's for the most part.
        As far as FSU or UNC-FS it really doesn't matter to me. That should be up to the Students and Board to decide., not older Alumni trying to revel in their past glory days. Again, with either name, the school will always remaining as Fayetteville's very own original HBCU.

Comment

Love automatic spell check!! Cooperation not corporation. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
            I get it. While you can say it doesn’t matter and they are/have always been part of the UNC system, like NCCU, A&T, Elizabeth City and others, a lot of people don’t know that. Most importantly, legislators in North Carolina didn’t want people to know since these schools were never treated equally in terms of resources and money (and still aren’t) compared to their white counterparts. So, keeping the Fayetteville State name matters a great deal, especially to Alumni and, hopefully, current students, especially in this day and age of HBCU Pride. Adding the UNC moniker, in my opinion, is simply about showing folks who ultimately has the control.
            VSUTrojans is on point. Eagle74 current students do not have the right to a decision on name changes of a school. They do not have a vested interest or standing simply because they can still transfer to another school. Alums have standing as grads and paid tuition as invested interest. The NC State Assembly has been trying to "remove" HBCU's for years with recent targeting budgets and lack of resources as the weapons of choice. Seems odd that Fayetteville is the only HBCU in the state with UNC in the schools website name.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post

The NC State Assembly has been trying to "remove" HBCU's for years with recent targeting budgets and lack of resources as the weapons of choice.
              In communications with both the North Carolina State Assembly and UNC System for the past decade, no one on either side of the isle has ever proposed the removal of the state's HBCUs at all, and in fact the past 5 / 7 years, the overall per capita expenditures for the HBCUs within the UNC System has surpassed the non-HBCU Institutions. Also, after years of school mismanagement, they could have went ahead and let a struggling HBCU school close it's doors for ever, but it was a consolidated effort by the NC State Assembly and the UNC System Board of Governors who stepped in and completely saved the now thriving Elizabeth City State University (they are presently receiving excellent per capita funding).

Let me add, many people get 'state funding', major school donations (typically from Alumni), along with interest bearing endowments confused in a big way.

So my suggestion would be to do a little research, and don't believe everything you hear from a few ramped up naysayers.

Comment

In communications with both the North Carolina State Assembly and UNC System for the past decade, no one on either side of the isle has ever proposed the removal of the state's HBCUs at all, and in fact the past 5 / 7 years, the overall per capita expenditures for the HBCUs within the UNC System has surpassed the non-HBCU Institutions. Also, after years of school mismanagement, they could have went ahead and let a struggling HBCU school close it's doors for ever, but it was a consolidated effort by the NC State Assembly and the UNC System Board of Governors who stepped in and completely saved the now thriving Elizabeth City State University (they are presently receiving excellent per capita funding).

Let me add, many people get 'state funding', major school donations (typically from Alumni), along with interest bearing endowments confused in a big way.

So my suggestion would be to do a little research, and don't believe everything you hear from a few ramped up naysayers.
                You and I agree on one thing and that is that ECSU needed a lifeline, and I have been saying it from the start, the Promise Plan was a good idea for ECSU. It has opened up ECSU to go across the border and actively recruit students from the Hampton Roads MSA. However, let's not pretend that in the past decade there wasn't a brief push to shut ECSU down. While not specifically named everyone knew what the goal was back in 2014.

The fact that this measure was even toyed around with shows where some of the elected NC officials stand on the beloved UNC system schools.

https://www.wtkr.com/2014/05/29/nc-s...ld-affect-ecsu

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne.../291-294164051
                Last edited by LegalRam; 03-07-2023, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

You and I agree on one thing and that is that ECSU needed a lifeline, and I have been saying it from the start, the Promise Plan was a good idea for ECSU. It has opened up ECSU to go across the border and actively recruit students from the Hampton Roads MSA. However, let's not pretend that in the past decade there wasn't a brief push to shut ECSU down. While not specifically named everyone knew what the goal was back in 2014.

The fact that this measure was even toyed around with shows where some of the elected NC officials stand on the beloved UNC system schools.

https://www.wtkr.com/2014/05/29/nc-s...ld-affect-ecsu

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne.../291-294164051
                  I stand corrected, 9 years, not 10. Next year, it will be a decade ago,

You're correct. One person (not some of the elected NC officials) which used to serve on the NC General Assembly propose the possible closing back in 2014 (which was overwhelmingly shot down by the fellow representatives on both sides of the isle).

This was following the very controversial and turmoil year of 2013 which had enrollment tumbling at ECSU after Elizabeth City Police uncovered more than 120 crimes reported since 2007 that ECSU never investigated, including 18 sexual assaults. A residence security officer was put on administrative leave after the State Bureau of Investigation started looking into the possibility of obstruction of justice and witness intimidation. The ECSU Chancellor at that time resigned following the investigation.

Thank goodness (with the help and actions of the NC General Assembly) things have completely turned around at the now prosperous HBCU Institution since those unfortunate times.

Comment

I stand corrected, 9 years, not 10. Next year, it will be a decade ago,

You're correct. One person (not some of the elected NC officials) which used to serve on the NC General Assembly propose the possible closing back in 2014 (which was overwhelmingly shot down by the fellow representatives on both sides of the isle).

This was following the very controversial and turmoil year of 2013 which had enrollment tumbling at ECSU after Elizabeth City Police uncovered more than 120 crimes reported since 2007 that ECSU never investigated, including 18 sexual assaults. A residence security officer was put on administrative leave after the State Bureau of Investigation started looking into the possibility of obstruction of justice and witness intimidation. The ECSU Chancellor at that time resigned following the investigation.

Thank goodness (with the help and actions of the NC General Assembly) things have completely turned around at the now prosperous HBCU Institution since those unfortunate times.
                    Eagle, do you honestly think only one person drafts and approves the proposed budget. The item was included in the budget that was passed by the Senate. Sh!t hit the fan when the ECSU community caught wind of the item in the budget. So then the NC Senate had to go back and amend the budget, which they had already approved, to take out the line item.

So either the Senate tried to slide something through and they got caught or there were a bunch of incompetent Senators who didn't read the proposed budget. Either way, a proposed budget was passed by the majority of the NC Senate in 2014 that would have potentially shutdown ECSU. The proposed budget then had to be amended to take out the line item after public outrage.

https://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2014....W9cKyH7t.dpbs

Comment

Bottom line is that the proposal was overwhelmingly rejected by both democrats' and republicans almost a decade ago. Also, almost all of those who were in the NC Senate at that time, have moved on. ECSU is now doing very well with more funding, a fast growing enrollment, and higher acceptance scores. So the future look bright for the Vikings.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X