Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What VSU has done in the past has nothing - zero - to do with what happens this weekend. In fact I think this whole streak conversation has become a bit of a distraction to the team (our last loss was two years and 1 day ago - 11/4/17 to West Alabama). I hope they'll let the public talk about it and our team just focus on playing ball.

Are we talented? Very much so (as is UWF). The winning streak doesn't matter (and we proved in our last game that we're not invincible).

I have a ton of respect for the job Shinnick has done at West Florida. I think he's a heckova fine coach (also think a lot of Kaleb Nobles on the offensive staff and know what a competitor he is).

I'm a strong believer that, for all the conversation about the skill players, games are won or lost in the trenches. Both teams are strong there. We'll find out who stands tall early in the game.

I'm nervous about this weekend. I hope we're having a good week of practice and that everyone's locked and loaded after a light week during the bye week.I hope all the bumps and bruises from the prior 8 games are healed up and our guys physically and mentally ready to play at their highest level.

I hope we can find a way to get a lead early and make UWF play from behind. That's a tall order.

We'll find out a lot about both teams and about both coaches this coming weekend.

It's a monster of a game. I wish it were Saturday already.
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 11-05-2019, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Comment

I am so excited, I can hardly stand it. Come on.....Saturday!!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
          Thanks for the supportive opposing fan encouragement, but the Argo fans excited optimism is not delusional, it is based on the reality of historical facts from successful programs like Valdosta. According to Valdosta's own record books the Blazers did not have a winning season in their first four years, did not win their first playoff game until 12 years later and did not appear in the national title game until 20 years after the program began. In contrast, the Argos first four years has seen three winning seasons in the toughest D2 conference in the nation, one and likely two playoff appearances, a regional playoff title, tied for the highest playoff winning percentage and an appearance in the national title game. They are clearly developing at an unprecedented rate and may be ready to go toe to toe with the Blazers sooner than the experts or even the fans might predict. I want to see both teams play their best on Saturday so we can see how they stack up and win or lose the Argos will be back.
          All of the above is true, and UWF has made a big splash early, and it is contributing to the GSC still being the top conference in D-II; however, it should be tempered somewhat by the fact that the GSC that UWF entered is not the same GSC that VSU entered.

Gone are Troy (National Champs in 1984 and 1987, now FBS), Jacksonville State (National Champions in 1992, three other Championship game appearances, now FCS), UNA (National Champions from 1994-1996, now FCS), all of the Arkansas schools (look at the current regional rankings for their SR), Central Arkansas (now FCS), Nicholls State (now FCS), Northwestern State (now FCS), Southeastern LA (now FCS), and UT-Martin (now FCS).

Delta State and Mississippi College also won National Championships in that time frame. Delta State, UNA, and VSU all had Championship game appearances other than their wins.

The playoffs used to only be four teams per region. Then they expanded to six teams per region, and now they are at seven teams per region. Valdosta State had a year in which it finished 10th in the national polls but didn't make the regional playoffs due to the Earned Access rule.

The GSC used to be a LOT deeper, and it used to be much harder to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
            Thanks for the supportive opposing fan encouragement, but the Argo fans excited optimism is not delusional, it is based on the reality of historical facts from successful programs like Valdosta. According to Valdosta's own record books the Blazers did not have a winning season in their first four years, did not win their first playoff game until 12 years later and did not appear in the national title game until 20 years after the program began. In contrast, the Argos first four years has seen three winning seasons in the toughest D2 conference in the nation, one and likely two playoff appearances, a regional playoff title, tied for the highest playoff winning percentage and an appearance in the national title game. They are clearly developing at an unprecedented rate and may be ready to go toe to toe with the Blazers sooner than the experts or even the fans might predict. I want to see both teams play their best on Saturday so we can see how they stack up and win or lose the Argos will be back.
            You're welcome. I'm sure you understand, I'm just looking out for you guys, wouldn't want you to get discouraged. If you expect a beating, Saturday won't be so bad, you will be able to see the silver lining more clearly.

Of course if you luck out a win, you'll have all of these posts to gloat over; so you see I'm just being a good neighbor :)

Comment

It's wild to think that as excited as we all are for this game, there is a chance it may not even be the biggest game between these 2 teams this season. We could be doing it all again a little later in 2019.
              * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
              * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
              * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Comment

I went ahead and booked my mental health counselor for 2 hours on Sunday morning in case we lose to the #1 team in the country and I find myself in shock and can't handle the loss. You can never be too careful and it's responsible to plan ahead for these things, especially since Valdosta fans are pointing out the warning signs.
                  * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                  * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                  * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Man oh man, I truly appreciate both your responses. You guys get it, there have been others that would huff and puff over stuff like this.

Comment

Those same people said that VSU couldn't beat Pittsburg State's record setting offense in 2004. They also said that VSU couldn't beat Cal P in PA with snow on the ground in 2007. They then said VSU couldn't beat MSU-Mankato in MN in 2012. Perhaps it's best not to listen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
                        They also said that VSU couldn't beat Cal P in PA with snow on the ground in 2007. They then said VSU couldn't beat MSU-Mankato in MN in 2012.
                        I was at both of those games.

Unbelievable experience (exceptionally nice and classy folks at Mankato).
                        Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 11-05-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

VSU equipment this week

Comment

Blazer fans have any good advice on where to park this Saturday assuming big crowd?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X