Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can history repeat itself for West Florida?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can history repeat itself for West Florida?

In 2017, West Florida made the trip up to Wingate for the first playoff game in school history. Wingate was the higher seed.

UWF started that game with a quick pick 6 and never looked back as they won 31-0 on the Bulldogs home field. The defense was dominate that Saturday!

West Florida eventually ended up playing the #1 team in the country on the #1 team in the country's home field and knocked them off on the way to the National Championship game. The Argos got there without ever having a home game in the playoffs.

I'm perfectly fine with watching the exact same thing in 2019! One thing is for sure, you can't say we haven't been in this position before.

Plan for the next 2 weeks:

Beat Wingate on their field.
    Beat #1 on their field.

Nothing new to the Argos.

The playoff road warriors are back!!
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

The Argos were 4-1 in the 2017 playoffs and are 9-3 all time in their all white Storm Trooper uniforms. I would love to see them build upon this winning road tradition with another white Storm through the 2019 playoffs. Their only losses in their all whites have been to Texas A & M Commerce, West Alabama and Valdosta and we all know how hard it is to beat the same team twice in the same season. Would love to return to Valdosta for another crack at the Blazers. Gooooo Arrrgggooossss!

Comment

SR2 is a little better this year than it was last time, but WF is a lot of people's "dark horse" and is certainly a talented team. Imagine the path for Bowie. Week 1, CN's crazy triple option, Week 2 LR's wing T with all that motion. Then as a reward they get Valdosta, if it goes chalk minus Bowie beating LR. I think Wingate's style of play could threaten Valdosta, so I expect the Blazers to cheer for ya'll.

Comment

I actually really like this 1st round matchup for the Argos and think they will knock off Wingate.

Comment

Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
          The Argos were 4-1 in the 2017 playoffs and are 9-3 all time in their all white Storm Trooper uniforms.
          I'm pretty sure the color of the unis (and what colors you've worn in the past) won't have anything to do with the wins or losses for UWF.

That said, last time I was at Wingate (it's been a while) they had a grass field. If they still do your equipment folks would like them to wear dark pants to avoid having to get out all the grass stains.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
            I'm pretty sure the color of the unis (and what colors you've worn in the past) won't have anything to do with the wins or losses for UWF.

That said, last time I was at Wingate (it's been a while) they had a grass field. If they still do your equipment folks would like them to wear dark pants to avoid having to get out all the grass stains.
            Obviously you are unaware of the magical powers that the all-white uniforms have during playoff time. You probably are aware of Notre Dame's green jerseys. Those pale in comparison to the historic and deep traditional significance that surround the all-whites. Prepare for a Pensacola blizzard heading your way soon, Blazer fans. West Florida during the regular season is Clark Kent compared to the playoff Argos and the Blazers only won by 5. In the playoffs, West Florida turns into Superman. Prediction - West Florida in the playoffs + wearing all-whites: 56 Valdosta: -3. I called and talked to the AD at Lenoir-Rhyne today and he said they are expecting a huge crowd for the West Florida vs LR game. Before he hung up he said, "Our fans are going to be pretty disappointed though I have a feeling, they don't fully know the power of West Florida in the all-whites."
            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Comment

To answer the question: No. but I personally would rather face Wingate as a VSU fan. FYI: The Blazers aren't too bad in the play-offs either. Ill take a repeat of last year where we were the last team standing in Mckinney, TX and I dont care who we have to beat to get there.

Comment

What is it with GSC up and comers that cause them to disrespect their superiors? We had a bad game and the refs never got off the bus so you kept it close. You had your shot and screwed the pooch so now you want some more? All I'll tell you is get VSU off your minds, win the first one and then let's talk.

BTW you can save a lot of time just copying and pasting some of the FIT & UWG old post, promise of Blazer doom have been on this forum for years - nothing new.

Comment

My goodness. Feeling a little ill today?

Comment

This could be an interesting game. I thought & predicted Wingate would lose to Newberry or Mars Hill, but I was wrong. Mars Hill was battling early, but don't know what happened 2nd half. Think both teams strength is defense and WF I feel has stronger offense. One thing for sure, Wingate should have plenty of motivation.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
                          What is it with GSC up and comers that cause them to disrespect their superiors? We had a bad game and the refs never got off the bus so you kept it close. You had your shot and screwed the pooch so now you want some more? All I'll tell you is get VSU off your minds, win the first one and then let's talk.

BTW you can save a lot of time just copying and pasting some of the FIT & UWG old post, promise of Blazer doom have been on this forum for years - nothing new.
                          I don't know what talking about invincible white jerseys has to do with disrespecting "mighty" Valdosta State or their fans. It seems a lot of Valdosta fans are looking for a made-up enemy or whining about other fans from teams in the GSC. Every single non-Valdosta person recognizes the Blazers won it all last year and that the Blazers are unbeaten and #1 this year. I haven't seen a lot of disrespect to be honest. It also seems Valdosta fans compare West Florida a lot to former "up and comers" from the GSC, but only the ones that are still in the GSC. I think that's the thing. I don't have the sense that Valdosta is the standard for West Florida the way Valdosta people or alumni would like to think. I don't think that Valdosta State is what The University of West Florida is trying to become because in many ways they have already blown Valdosta State out of the water (sorry for the ocean reference) in many many ways.

Yes, the football team that was started in 1982 is currently good. The thing I've noticed is Valdosta fans compare their school and success to other schools such as West Georgia, Florida Institute of Technology, Delta State, currently West Florida, etc. The mistake being made by Valdosta fans is comparing West Florida to the list of "up and comers" that you refer to...the West Georgia's and FIT's of the world. There are other school's that were once in GSC. Troy State would beat the pants off you guys because they have evolved and grown as a school/athletic program. UT-Martin moved on to bigger and better. Same for North Alabama. Same for Central Arkansas. Same for Jacksonville State. These athletic programs have grown and evolved since 1982.

I never hear the fans of those school's mentioned though by Valdosta fans. Were those fan bases wrong when they thought they could become better athletic programs than Valdosta State??? No, they were 100% correct. Valdosta Fans seems to only talk about the schools that weren't able to do it and ignore ALL of the programs that went on to blow the Blazers out of the water (again, I'm sorry). West Florida doesn't want to be Valdosta State. West Florida wants to be like all those other schools that used Valdosta State as a never moving and never evolving stepping stone on the way to much bigger and better things just as many other school's have already done. When that happens Valdosta fans will then decide West Florida doesn't count either amongst the fan bases that knew they would eventually surpass the Blazers and Valdosta fans will go pick on Shorter and Spring Hill College and pretend they are still the king of their made-up mountain. Troy State isn't still trying to win D2 football championships. Maybe that is important to remember. Congrats to your program on having a very very good football team. That is respect. I think you probably have the most talented team in D2 this year. I also don't think anyone on Pensacola Beach today is wishing they were in Valdosta, GA eating pecans in their 1982 Valdosta High t-shirt and reading the signatures in their yearbook that say, "stay cool, never change." Valdosta's football team may be better this year, heck, who knows...maybe way better. Everyone knows that isn't going to last. Eventually, our all-white jerseys will move on and your fan base will move on to picking on Montevallo when they get football and you can act tough to them for a while. We aren't the kind of "up and comer" that you like to refer to. We are the school with a beautiful beach, growing enrollment, new state-of-the-art buildings sprouting up, that just got football and you soon won't be able to compete with us. Our biggest problem in a few years won't be if we can beat little Valdosta State, but the decision on if we want to build the biggest and best D2 football stadium on our own campus or keep playing downtown on the water. We aren't who you wished we were. #whitejerseysrule
                          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Comment

If

If you win next week we can have this debate
                              but until then, you have done little but tempt Fate

We've had Wolves & Panthers downplay our success
                              now you Argos claim to be next

I appreciate the fact that you can see the future
                              I hope you stick around once you're the loser

If has promise but where are your NC banners
                              I hope you do win, so we can teach you some manners

Last edited by boyblue; 11-18-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X