Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
    ...our defensive weakness is deep passing to tall receivers with an accurate QB.
    Then you may have your hands full.

UWF has a phenomenal receiving corps (most with some size) and a quarterback that can get them the ball.

Comment

Last edited by Argonut; 12-01-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post

Ha.....I remember the last time the Blazers went to LR for a playoff game. It was a war! We won, but we were so beaten up we couldn't hardly play the next game and ended our NC run.
        11/29/14 - Our QB (Jake Medlock) separated his shoulder early in the second quarter in that game up in Hickory. Kaleb Nobles, our back up QB ( who transferred to West Florida and is now the QB coach for the Argos) came in early in the second quarter and led us to the win.

I remember when L-R came to Valdosta at 12-1 last year. Valdosta was up 34-7 at the half and L-R was just going through the motions from mid-2nd quarter on. L-R scored a late TD with less than a minute left in the game to close it to 61-21.

If I were West Florida's coaches I'd makes sure to watch film of that game. VSU held L-R to 112 rushing yards and 319 total yards for the game. Blazers had 597 yards of offense (with 382 rushing yards).

Playing in Hickory is a little challenging and teams do evolve. That said, West Florida probably has the best DL we've played this year, the strongest receiving corp we've played, the best QB we've played and a very strong offensive line. They're also very well coached.

I think L-R has a super team, but I also think they'll have their work cut out for them Saturday (I won't be surprised if the outcome doesn't resemble the Bear's game against VSU last year).

That said, I'll be in the deer woods next Saturday hoping to get a glimpse (and a shot) at Brutus (the king of the south Georgia swamp). I'll be checking the score from 15' up a tree.
        Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 12-01-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

11/29/14 - Our QB (Jake Medlock) separated his shoulder early in the second quarter in that game up in Hickory. Kaleb Nobles, our back up QB ( who transferred to West Florida and is now the QB coach for the Argos) came in early in the second quarter and led us to the win.

I remember when L-R came to Valdosta at 12-1 last year. Valdosta was up 34-7 at the half and L-R was just going through the motions from mid-2nd quarter on. L-R scored a late TD with less than a minute left in the game to close it to 61-21.

If I were West Florida's coaches I'd makes sure to watch film of that game. VSU held L-R to 112 rushing yards and 319 total yards for the game. Blazers had 597 yards of offense (with 382 rushing yards).

Playing in Hickory is a little challenging and teams do evolve. That said, West Florida probably has the best DL we've played this year, the strongest receiving corp we've played, the best QB we've played and a very strong offensive line. They're also very well coached.

I think L-R has a very super team, but I also think they'll have their work cut out for them Saturday (I won't be surprised if the outcome doesn't resemble the Bear's game against VSU last year).

That said, I'll be in the deer woods next Saturday hoping to get a glimpse (and a shot) at Brutus (the king of the south Georgia swamp).
          Good luck!!

So if you bag him, does that mean BarBQ at FTF's place?? (^wink wink)

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
            I've only seen part of one LR game this year. In that game at least, it looked like they had expanded their offense from last season.

UWF's freshman QB has come into his own. The one thing that may give LR an edge is UWF having to make the long road trip after such an emotional game.
            Being drained emotionally is probably not going to be an issue, since the Argos were in the same boat in 2017 and proved themselves road warriors, winning at Wingate, West GA, West AL, and Indiana PA. Pete Shinninck and his crew understand the road mentality and use it, along with the "chip," to push the players to perform well in the playoffs. Going into another team's stadium isn't as big a deal as some would think. Also, most of the starters on offense were on the roster in 2017 so they understand. This is why they were so cool during the last 2 minutes against Valdosta State.

I think the bigger issue for UWF will be LR's unique offense and UWF's defense having the physical ability to withstand the the offensive scheme within the first quarter. If the Argos can keep things close within the first few minutes, it's on! Not calling a winner or loser yet, but I anticipate a great game!

Comment

Sorry but comparing last year to this year is a joke. Valdosta is nowhere near the team they were last year, and while WF is a good team, as I said, they aren't going to be able to run the ball against us and aren't the best running team we've seen this year. Lets not forget what Carson Newman did to WF to start the season. That was a long time ago, but ya'll are already bringing up last year so...

The big questions are how does WF handle LR defensively, and can WF rely on their passing game. The tape from last years LR-VSU game is useless, as Wingate and CN have already tried that and failed, it was pretty clearly just a mismatch in atheletism and the fact LR was just happy to be there, which isn't the case going into this Argos-Bears matchup. Turnovers and special teams will also be key, if a team wins the turnover battle they win, if its even I give advantage LR.

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Then you may have your hands full.

UWF has a phenomenal receiving corps (most with some size) and a quarterback that can get them the ball.
              Eh, I've watched a few WF games this year, they do have some good WRs (#88 specifically) and a solid QB, but they rely on the running game to open them up, then run a lot of play action, it will depend on the strategy they employe, but if they do what every other team has this season and try to run the ball (specifically that option out of the shotgun they used several times on the Blazers to gain 3-5 yards) it will be a bad day for them. I guarantee you that play right there leads to AT LEAST one fumble.

The thing is, while I do believe that we may have a weakness in the passing game, every team thats tried to use that, while they have been somewhat successful, has also had issues with turnovers and several sacks, as we have an elite defensive line this year. That and our O line were specifically improved in order to better compete with Valdosta's size.

Last edited by BearsLRU; 12-01-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post

Good luck!!

So if you bag him, does that mean BarBQ at FTF's place?? (^wink wink)
                Thanks!!

If I bag him that means deer sausage will be in abundance for a while.

Comment

Comment

I just hope LR's football team is better than the food they serve at the Boxcar Grille. That was the worst meal I've had in my life. I was at the Rock Barn Spa a few years ago and someone from Hickory recommended that place. Holy smokes.
                    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                      I just hope LR's football team is better than the food they serve at the Boxcar Grille. That was the worst meal I've had in my life. I was at the Rock Barn Spa a few years ago and someone from Hickory recommended that place. Holy smokes.
                      Haha, you might want to comeback next year, our concessions area is getting a full redo over the summer. Never been to Boxcar but there are people who really like it around here. I'd recommend the station or the tapp room for a good beer and food. Both are in downtown Hickory.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
                          Sorry but comparing last year to this year is a joke. Valdosta is nowhere near the team they were last year, and while WF is a good team, as I said, they aren't going to be able to run the ball against us and aren't the best running team we've seen this year. Lets not forget what Carson Newman did to WF to start the season. That was a long time ago, but ya'll are already bringing up last year so...

The big questions are how does WF handle LR defensively, and can WF rely on their passing game. The tape from last years LR-VSU game is useless, as Wingate and CN have already tried that and failed, it was pretty clearly just a mismatch in atheletism and the fact LR was just happy to be there, which isn't the case going into this Argos-Bears matchup. Turnovers and special teams will also be key, if a team wins the turnover battle they win, if its even I give advantage LR.

Eh, I've watched a few WF games this year, they do have some good WRs (#88 specifically) and a solid QB, but they rely on the running game to open them up, then run a lot of play action, it will depend on the strategy they employe, but if they do what every other team has this season and try to run the ball (specifically that option out of the shotgun they used several times on the Blazers to gain 3-5 yards) it will be a bad day for them. I guarantee you that play right there leads to AT LEAST one fumble.

The thing is, while I do believe that we may have a weakness in the passing game, every team thats tried to use that, while they have been somewhat successful, has also had issues with turnovers and several sacks, as we have an elite defensive line this year. That and our O line were specifically improved in order to better compete with Valdosta's size.

Austin Reed wasn't the starting QB against CN, but hey, we took an "L" and kept it moving. Don't sleep on the Argos -- every team claims to do something different, only to be surprised in the end. UWF is just as athletic as VSU, but the 2018 VSU went for the jugular off the bat. This years team tried to play the clock, and it doomed them. The Argo receiving corp is DEEP. #88 (Lehtio) is a 4-year starter, but there are no less than six receivers that beat you any which way. Many were saying that Lehtio should have been doubled, but the VSU coaches knew better. UWF will be ready, and what you saw on film will be more impressive in person because they seem to take a step up with each new challenge. They seem to relish going into the games as the underdog, and all they've done is knock off the favorites. Can't wait until next Saturday!!

Comment

I'm sure it is very nice. Looking forward to checking it all out. If you ever come to the Pensacola area check out the beach. Jimmy Buffett says it's one of the best he's ever seen. He's written songs about it.

* 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

That's impressive. Not as impressive as the Bengals tanking to get Tate Lehtio, but it's still nice.
                              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X