Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
    Eh, I've watched a few WF games this year, they do have some good WRs (#88 specifically) and a solid QB, but they rely on the running game to open them up, then run a lot of play action, it will depend on the strategy they employe, but if they do what every other team has this season and try to run the ball (specifically that option out of the shotgun they used several times on the Blazers to gain 3-5 yards) it will be a bad day for them. I guarantee you that play right there leads to AT LEAST one fumble.

The thing is, while I do believe that we may have a weakness in the passing game, every team thats tried to use that, while they have been somewhat successful, has also had issues with turnovers and several sacks, as we have an elite defensive line this year. That and our O line were specifically improved in order to better compete with Valdosta's size.
    Crazy thought but they might use the passing game to force you out of the box to protect against it and they then establish a running game on the back side of that.

Their passing game is stout. If you don't adjust to it you could well get beat.

I don't have a dog in the fight (other than I think a lot of former Blazer Kaleb Nobles w/ UWF and would like to see him do well). I did watch the West Florida/Carson Newman game earlier in the year (pretty entertaining contest to start the year). First game for a freshman quarterback in a new offense. Defense had an offense you don't often see in the first game of the year.

The big question is how good is L-R? Have they been tested? L-R only played 3 teams with winning records during the regular season. The 7 other teams combined for 25 wins total. That's where LR's big stats were built (teams like St Augustine, Catawba and Limestone).

The wins against C-N, Va Union and Wingate weren't blow outs.

So the big question this Saturday is has L-R been tested? Because I believe you will be this week (this ain't gonna be like playing Miles).

Last year when you were tested your guys didn't respond well.

I think this will be a hotly contested game. Two teams that appear to be pretty good. I won't be surprised regardless of who wins (but I sure do hope ol Brutus steps out of the swamp at about 40 yards and I end up with a whole bunch of deer sausage).
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 12-01-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Massey says final four is LR , Rock, Ferris and Minnesota St.

Comment

Does anyone know if West Florida is flying or busing to LR?

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Crazy thought but they might use the passing game to force you out of the box to protect against it and they then establish a running game on the back side of that.

Their passing game is stout. If you don't adjust to it you could well get beat.

I don't have a dog in the fight (other than I think a lot of former Blazer Kaleb Nobles w/ UWF and would like to see him do well). I did watch the West Florida/Carson Newman game earlier in the year (pretty entertaining contest to start the year). First game for a freshman quarterback in a new offense. Defense had an offense you don't often see in the first game of the year.

The big question is how good is L-R? Have they been tested? L-R only played 3 teams with winning records during the regular season. The 7 other teams combined for 25 wins total. That's where LR's big stats were built (teams like St Augustine, Catawba and Limestone).

The wins against C-N, Va Union and Wingate weren't blow outs.

So the big question this Saturday is has L-R been tested? Because I believe you will be this week (this ain't gonna be like playing Miles).

Last year when you were tested your guys didn't respond well.

I think this will be a hotly contested game. Two teams that appear to be pretty good. I won't be surprised regardless of who wins (but I sure do hope ol Brutus steps out of the swamp at about 40 yards and I end up with a whole bunch of deer sausage).
          You can say the exact same thing about WF, sorry but the GSC just isn't as good this year. After the Blazers, Wingate, and CN are the best two teams WF has played, they split those teams. Wins over West Georgia and Delta State are comparable to Miles, or the committee says they are anyway. LR just beat them by 29 and played pretty badly in that one honestly. LR just put up 49 on a team thats played us twice under this system, beat WF, beat the undefeated CIAA champion, and lost 3 games all year, 2 to LR. The strategy you've mentioned is the one I've been waiting for, Mars Hill and UNCP tried it and had some success, but we still stopped their running game even in pass defenses, now WF is obviously better than them, but before you totally discredit them Mars Hill has a better WR in Craig Rucker than anyone on WF, by far, they just have basically no defense. I'm not saying this is a blowout, I just don't believe WF can score enough to beat us, and I think when a freshmen QB gets hit by Artis every other play he steps back, or he throws and interception, or he gets flattened running the ball by Williams, that he'll be rattled. WF fans can't keep saying "we've been here before" but not mention the fact that your QB has NOT and is a freshman. Expect this to be a higher scoring game. Lastly, the wins against CN and VU weren't exactly close, VU by 17 (3 possessions) CN by 13 (2 possessions) Miles by 29 (4 possessions) and then CN again by 28 (4 possessions).

Comment

You can say the exact same thing about WF, sorry but the GSC just isn't as good this year. After the Blazers, Wingate, and CN are the best two teams WF has played, they split those teams. Wins over West Georgia and Delta State are comparable to Miles, or the committee says they are anyway. LR just beat them by 29 and played pretty badly in that one honestly. LR just put up 49 on a team thats played us twice under this system, beat WF, beat the undefeated CIAA champion, and lost 3 games all year, 2 to LR. The strategy you've mentioned is the one I've been waiting for, Mars Hill and UNCP tried it and had some success, but we still stopped their running game even in pass defenses, now WF is obviously better than them, but before you totally discredit them Mars Hill has a better WR in Craig Rucker than anyone on WF, by far, they just have basically no defense. I'm not saying this is a blowout, I just don't believe WF can score enough to beat us, and I think when a freshmen QB gets hit by Artis every other play he steps back, or he throws and interception, or he gets flattened running the ball by Williams, that he'll be rattled. WF fans can't keep saying "we've been here before" but not mention the fact that your QB has NOT and is a freshman. Expect this to be a higher scoring game. Lastly, the wins against CN and VU weren't exactly close, VU by 17 (3 possessions) CN by 13 (2 possessions) Miles by 29 (4 possessions) and then CN again by 28 (4 possessions).

Considering the GSC has gone 8-1 against the SAC this season, what does that say about the SAC?

Comment

I think when a freshmen QB gets hit by Artis every other play he steps back, or he throws and interception, or he gets flattened running the ball by Williams, that he'll be rattled.
              Gonna be a good game. And we'll see (I'm not saying what will happen - just possibilities).

On Reed, he wasn't rattled this past Saturday.

We took the 4 point lead with just over 2 minutes left.

He promptly led his team down the field on a 11 play - 75 yard drive and scored with 6 seconds left.

It was impressive (and we aren't a Miles or a Catawba).

We'll see.

Would be interesting to see West Florida play Slippery Rock and Roland Rivers (who was on the Blazers with Nobles). Of course UWF has to get past L-R and The Rock has to get past Notre Dame to make that happen. But that would be an exciting and fast paced game (West Florida would have to travel).

Comment

Argos are whole lot more than slant pass to #88 by freshman QB.

Argo redshirt freshman Reed is 10-1 and 5-1 against winning teams including beating defending No. 1 National Champ on road with game winning drive in last 2 minutes. Argos went to National Title game in 2017 with redshirt freshman Beaudry and Reed has better, deeper, more experienced and complete team around him than Beaudry did in 2017. At this point in season Reed is an experienced veteran who plays big and clutch in big games.

Argos throw ball to over a dozen different receivers and will spread field and rotate fresh bodies all game long to wear out LB and DBs into making mistakes due to their confusion and exhaustion. If Bears fans can see weakness in pass D you can be sure Argos coaches see it too and they will attack this weakness all game long. With good weather forecast you can count on Reed slinging it all over the Bears yard short, middle and deep to all of his receivers and not just a slant pass to #88.

Comment

This should be one heck of a game! No doubt that Coach Shinnick will have the Argos very well prepared for the Bears. LR needs to be at the top of their game with a very limited number of turnovers. Also, LR needs to put more fans in the seats than what were on hand for the CN game.

Not that it makes any difference, but here's a few comparisons:

West Florida has 17 linemen that top the scales at 300+ lbs, the Bears have 3.

LR has around 11 college transfers, the Argonauts have 51.

On the epicurean meter on NC BBQ, I have found the Hickory restaurants are hit or miss at best with a general rating of 6.2 out of 10. Head east or southeast in NC for the true 9s and 10s.

Best of luck to both teams!!!!

Comment

If you are looking for the best BBQ in the Hickory area try JDs in Rutherford College, about 10 miles west of Hickory.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

Considering the GSC has gone 8-1 against the SAC this season, what does that say about the SAC?
                        That your middle of the pack teams are better than our middle of the pack teams. Delta State and West Florida are better than Mars Hill and Tusculum, but CN and Wingate are better than both of those teams, and so is Miles (don't forget, Albany State beat West Georgia). Just because the top SAC teams didn't play the GSC as much this year doesn't mean the GSC is better. You all keep wanting to bring up last years Valdosta game, but don't want to mention that LR whipped North Greenville and Florida Tech last year. NG not a big deal, but all of ya'll seemed to think Florida Tech could handle us.

Comment

That your middle of the pack teams are better than our middle of the pack teams. Delta State and West Florida are better than Mars Hill and Tusculum, but CN and Wingate are better than both of those teams, and so is Miles (don't forget, Albany State beat West Georgia). Just because the top SAC teams didn't play the GSC as much this year doesn't mean the GSC is better. You all keep wanting to bring up last years Valdosta game, but don't want to mention that LR whipped North Greenville and Florida Tech last year. NG not a big deal, but all of ya'll seemed to think Florida Tech could handle us.
                          I noticed that LR hasn't played a "middle of the pack" GSC team this year. Is that because your last 2 losses came to GSC schools? After the Wingate game, I would give a middle of the road GSC team a pretty good shot at beating them. Considering the GSC has had a representative in the National Championship game for 3 consecutive years (3 different teams) I'd say the SAC still has a little work to do to catch up. Who knows maybe you thump West Florida and this is your year to make a run. We'll find out soon enough. Go Argos!

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

I noticed that LR hasn't played a "middle of the pack" GSC team this year. Is that because your last 2 losses came to GSC schools? After the Wingate game, I would give a middle of the road GSC team a pretty good shot at beating them. Considering the GSC has had a representative in the National Championship game for 3 consecutive years (3 different teams) I'd say the SAC still has a little work to do to catch up. Who knows maybe you thump West Florida and this is your year to make a run. We'll find out soon enough. Go Argos!
                            Considering we schedule games years ahead of time, I'd say no. Maybe the GSC didn't want to play the top of the SAC since none of your teams made it out of the first round last year, aside from Valdosta. I don't think this will be a blowout, it should likely be a very competitive game, but WF is not the favorite here.

Comment

Man it sounds like the only question remaining to ask UWF fans is if the Argos drop 80 or 90 points on the Bears..

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X