Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota St fan with questions

First off all congratulations on making the championship again. Just coming here to learn a little about your team. Looks like you guys have a real good defense and a pretty good offense, although not a super stellar running game. Care to tell us mavs fans a little more about your team? Feel free to ask us questions or go over to our forum

<------not going to send the opposing team a scouting report on ourselves.

We run mostly triple option and use our prevent defense the entire game.
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
      <------not going to send the opposing team a scouting report on ourselves.

We run mostly triple option and use our prevent defense the entire game.
      Yes, because the fans on a message board discussing your team's style will somehow impact the game plan; you know, because the coaches won't watch any game film.

Comment

Originally posted by msumavfan View Post
        First off all congratulations on making the championship again. Just coming here to learn a little about your team. Looks like you guys have a real good defense and a pretty good offense, although not a super stellar running game. Care to tell us mavs fans a little more about your team? Feel free to ask us questions or go over to our forum
        UWF has had four games broadcast by ESPN this season; so, you can probably find some of those games archived. They have a good, young QB, and they can be tough to get off of the field on third down.

Coach Shinnick is a fantastic coach as both a program builder and in-game. UWF began playing football in 2016, and this is UWF's second National Championship appearance. Prior to UWF, he was the first coach at UNC-Pembroke, and he built them into a playoff team. He's had three losing seasons in 15 years as a head coach, and two of those seasons were the very first seasons of those programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

UWF has had four games broadcast by ESPN this season; so, you can probably find some of those games archived. They have a good, young QB, and they can be tough to get off of the field on third down.

Coach Shinnick is a fantastic coach as both a program builder and in-game. UWF began playing football in 2016, and this is UWF's second National Championship appearance. Prior to UWF, he was the first coach at UNC-Pembroke, and he built them into a playoff team. He's had three losing seasons in 15 years as a head coach, and two of those seasons were the very first seasons of those programs.
          Well there you go. Now they are going to win. Most of that was the secret information I was trying to hide from them.
          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Well there you go. Now they are going to win. Most of that was the secret information I was trying to hide from them.
            But you have uniforms...

Comment

But you have uniforms...
              Haha, it weird how jealous that makes you. It makes me like them even more. I bet you are the kind of person that hates the holidays and getting sand in the car.
              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Haha, it weird how jealous that makes you. It makes me like them even more. I bet you are the kind of person that hates the holidays and getting sand in the car.
                I'm not jealous at all. I'm amused.

Valdosta State: four championships
                North Alabama: three championships
                Troy State: two championships
                Jacksonville State: one championship
                Delta State: one championship

Mississippi College: one forfeited championship

Hopefully, UWF will add to that list.
                Last edited by Rational Observer; 12-14-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by msumavfan View Post
                  msumavfan, I'll help you fellow football fan,

The University of West Florida is located in beautiful Pensacola, FL located way out on the western part of the Florida panhandle. Pensacola Beach has some of the whitest sand in the world and the emerald waters make Jimmy Buffett's heart melt. The University was established in 1963, but it has changed very much over time. As I'm sure you have heard, we now have a football team. We are in our 4th year of the program. In the second year of the program, we reached the National Championship as well. We play our home games at Blue Wahoo Stadium. It sits on Pensacola Bay, which makes for unbeatable views as you see extra points splash into the water as sailboats go by. The campus is gorgeous. Picture walking through a state park, but add in college students and beautiful buildings.

Our quarterback that we had the last time we went to the Natty left to play at UConn (I still have incredible amounts of respect for him. He helped build this thing and will always be an Argo in the hearts of UWF fans), so we got a new QB. He's a freshman. I think he will win the Harlon Hill trophy someday. We have awesome receivers. If I get an email saying UWF needs help getting money from boosters to build a Tate Lehtio statue on campus I will send them money. He's one of my top 2 favorite wide receivers of all-time. The other was a high school player I idolized growing up as a little kid in a small town that coincidentally also wore #88. He's not the only receiver though by any means. Randolph is dynamic, Grant is 6'4" and very talented, Ashley and Coates are outstanding as well. I would have to guess as a package those 5 receivers would be the best in the country. (Zylstra looks awesome for you guys. I'm already terrified of him.) Good running backs and a very good O-line complete that side of the ball. Our D is very good and seems to adjust to different styles of play very well. I love our coaches. I hope Shinnick stays forever.

As far as you saying, "looks like you guys have a real good defense and a pretty good offense" I totally get why you would say that after watching today's game. I think if you watch last week's Lenoir-Rhyne game you would say our offense looks real good and we have a pretty good defense. It seems like depending on the game, our offense looks great or our defense looks great. There have been some games where both look great as well. I believe it will take both to be great to have a chance to beat you guys. Obviously, your Minnesota State Mavs looked unbeatable today. Hopefully, we can hang around better than Slippery Rock did.

I look forward to a week of getting to know you guys. I watched all of the Slippery Rock game today. Holy Toledo. Ya'll are good.
                  Last edited by West Florida; 12-14-2019, 09:58 PM.
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

It's like the angels in the outfield though. The jerseys can't help you win the championship. That is what went wrong the last time. They can only help get us there. 8-0 all-time on the road in the playoffs while wearing the all-whites. The mystical all-whites have helped us, no doubt. Now though, it's on a neutral field for the Natty. It's going to come down to our guys vs theirs. I still like our chances.
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Valdosta State: four championships
                      North Alabama: three championships
                      Troy State: two championships
                      Delta State: one championship

Mississippi College: one forfeited championship

Hopefully, UWF will add to that list.
                      You left off Jacksonville St., one championship

Comment

msumavfan, I'll help you fellow football fan,

The University of West Florida is located in beautiful Pensacola, FL located way out on the western part of the Florida panhandle. Pensacola Beach has some of the whitest sand in the world and the emerald waters make Jimmy Buffett's heart melt. The University was established in 1963, but it has changed very much over time. As I'm sure you have heard, we now have a football team. We are in our 4th year of the program. In the second year of the program, we reached the National Championship as well. We play our home games at Blue Wahoo Stadium. It sits on Pensacola Bay, which makes for unbeatable views as you see extra points splash into the water as sailboats go by. The campus is gorgeous. Picture walking through a state park, but add in college students and beautiful buildings.

Our quarterback that we had the last time we went to the Natty left to play at UConn (I still have incredible amounts of respect for him. He helped build this thing and will always be an Argo in the hearts of UWF fans), so we got a new QB. He's a freshman. I think he will win the Harlon Hill trophy someday. We have awesome receivers. If I get an email saying UWF needs help getting money from boosters to build a Tate Lehtio statue on campus I will send them money. He's one of my top 2 favorite wide receivers of all-time. The other was a high school player I idolized growing up as a little kid in a small town that coincidentally also wore #88. He's not the only receiver though by any means. Randolph is dynamic, Grant is 6'4" and very talented, Ashley and Coates are outstanding as well. I would have to guess as a package those 5 receivers would be the best in the country. (Zylstra looks awesome for you guys. I'm already terrified of him.) Good running backs and a very good O-line complete that side of the ball. Our D is very good and seems to adjust to different styles of play very well. I love our coaches. I hope Shinnick stays forever.

As far as you saying, "looks like you guys have a real good defense and a pretty good offense" I totally get why you would say that after watching today's game. I think if you watch last week's Lenoir-Rhyne game you would say our offense looks real good and we have a pretty good defense. It seems like depending on the game, our offense looks great or our defense looks great. There have been some games where both look great as well. I believe it will take both to be great to have a chance to beat you guys. Obviously, your Minnesota State Mavs looked unbeatable today. Hopefully, we can hang around better than Slippery Rock did.

I look forward to a week of getting to know you guys. I watched all of the Slippery Rock game today. Holy Toledo. Ya'll are good.

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

You left off Jacksonville St., one championship
                          Thanks. I thought of them and then neglected to add them to the list. I have added them now.

Comment

It's going to be a war between two scary good teams!

#BlazerNation

Comment

UWF is big and stout on their defensive line. Also big and stout on their offensive line. Has tall receivers that run and catch very well. A freshman QB that can get them the ball.

Their best RB (IMO) is out for the year (Shomari Mason). The other two are workman like. I view that they use the running game just to set up the pass.

Their defense creates lots of turnovers (ask Ferris).

They're well coached and generally well executed.

They play as a team for each other and their coaches.

I think the Mavs have an awesome team and really enjoyed the folks up there on our trip in 2012. Great atmosphere and great folks.

I'm not a "pull for the GSC team cause they're a GSC team" kinda guy. That said, Kaleb Nobles (former VSU quarterback and now UWF's QB coach) is a super guy and has a lot going on in his life right now. Would love to see him and his team win the whole thing, but won't be upset if the Mav's win it either.
                              Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 12-15-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X