Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Florida vs Minnesota State for the Natty!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Florida vs Minnesota State for the Natty!

When I think of Minnesota State I think of Hayden Fox and the great TV show I grew up watching named Coach.

Pete Shinnick vs Hayden Fox. The best two coaches in the history of D2 football in my incredibly biased opinion. I don't know if this is even real life anymore. Argos going to the National Championship again! We come into your trap, we take over your trap!

What a time to be alive!!!

We are going to Texas. I'm watching Varsity Blues tonight. It's the most Texas-y football thing I can think to do. Go Argos!!!!!
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

There is no need for the players to go. They can just send their uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
      There is no need for the players to go. They can just send their uniforms.
      NO KIDDING.
      <>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

NO KIDDING.
        See. I knew you guys would eventually become believers. 8-0 all-time in the all-whites on the road in the playoffs. 4-0 against undefeated teams in the playoffs. Those all-white get-ups are so Arete.

(I'll wait for the rebuttal from the 2 people left on planet earth who think neutral field games count in the category as road games despite FBS, FCS and D2 schools, as well as the AP, all making the separation between home, away and neutral.)
        * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

(I'll wait for the rebuttal from the 2 people left on planet earth who think neutral field games count in the category as road games despite FBS, FCS and D2 schools, as well as the AP, all making the separation between home, away and neutral.)
          Flat Earthers?

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

Flat Earthers?
            I think you may be onto something.
            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Since Minnesota seeded above Argos does that mean Argos wear Storm Troopers in Title game too?

Comment

They did last time. I assume they will.
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Has anyone thought about what Wingate must be thinking? In 2017 and 2019 they have great years and earn high seeds in SR2. Both years they get a match-up first round against West Florida on the Argos way to the Natty. Both of those years their reward for a great season was to host the greatest road playoff team of all-time. Geesh.
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                    Has anyone thought about what Wingate must be thinking? In 2017 and 2019 they have great years and earn high seeds in SR2. Both years they get a match-up first round against West Florida on the Argos way to the Natty. Both of those years their reward for a great season was to host the greatest road playoff team of all-time. Geesh.
                    So excited for you guys. There is nothing like experiencing a NC weekend at a really great venue!!! Take it all in!!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Argos troop off to Texas for the second time and for the title game for the second time to face another strong and run heavy balanced team in the Mavs of Minnesota State Mankato. The stat page doesn't look good for the Argos and they will have to play another outstanding game on all three teams to have a chance at bringing home the golden fleece of the National Title Trophy. My initial impressions of game are as follows:

1. Weather/Field-

The field is turf and the weather is forecast to be sunny and 64 degrees. Perfect weather for both teams and Argo passing game. No advantage for either team.

2. Coaches-

Both coaches are experienced and successful in the playoffs and with creating and/or turning programs around into winners. Both have been to the title game and lost and know the title week routine and prep. No advantage for either team.

3. Roster-

The Mavs are made up of upper midwest players and are big on both sides of line. The Argos are from Florida and also big on both sides of line. There are no reported stats for team speed, but given past experiences a Florida passing team would have the potential of being faster overall than an upper midwest running team. Potential edge to Argos.

4. Playoff history/title week-

The Mavs have lost early in playoffs 7 times and gone deep 4 times including 13-0 loss in title game in 2014. The Argos have gone deep both times and lost 37-27 to Texas A & M Commerce in 2017. Mavs also lost to Commerce in 2017 playoffs by 10, which is only common opponent of recent history. Argos probably have more players and starters on roster who have been through title week experience. Slight edge to Argos.

5. Points/TDs/TOP-

Mavs score 13 more per game, and give up 5 less than Argos. They also have scored more TDs by run than pass (57/28) than Argos who are more balanced (29/35). Mavs give up way less on ground (4-21) than Argos, but Argos are much stingier in air than Mavs (9-18). They are fairly equal in time of possession with Mavs having slight edge (32/30).

6. Run Game-

The Mavs are another productive run heavy team than defends the run well and outgains the Argos by 160 yds. and is a 100 yards stingier per game on D. Advantage to Mavs.

7. Pass Game-

The Argos pass more and for 40 more yards than Mavs and both give up the same amount of pass yards and throw the same amount of low pics. (10) The Mavs throw for slightly more yards per completion (16-14), but give up more TDs on D. (18-9) Advantage to Argos.

8. Conversion-

The teams are equal on 3rd down conversion % and 4th down conversion D with Argos better on 4th down conversion (75-58) and Mavs better on 3rd down conversion D. (26-42) No edge to either team.

9. TO/Ball security/Sacks-

Both teams stingy on ball security and give up same amount of fumbles (9). Mavs get more pics (22-13) and Argos force and recover more fumbles (21-12). Mavs get more sacks (47-31) and protect QB a little better (14-19), but this may be due to throwing it less than Argos. Slight edge to Mavs.

10. Penalties/Red Zone-

Argos slightly better on flag yardage (54/60) and teams identical on Red Zone scores and TD percentage. Mavs slightly better on Red Zone score D and Argos slightly better on Red Zone TD defense. No edge to either team.

11 Kicking-

Mavs slightly better on punt and kick returns and Argos much better on punting. Mavs better at FG, but Argo FG much better in playoffs than regular season. Maybe slight edge to Mavs.

12. Close games/outcome-

Mavs have been blowing out all teams all season, except for two close games where they led and were never behind. Argos have played and won numerous close games including playoff thrillers and have much more experience in close games and coming from behind. In the two close games for Mavs the opposing teams were pass heavy, which gives good reason to believe that the Argos can stick close to Mavs all game and make them nervous enough to make some mistakes that the Argos can exploit. Mavs look vulnerable to pass TDs which the Argos do well and the weather will be perfect for the Argo passing attack. The trenches look equal for both teams, so it will probably be the skill players that make the difference. Mavs look to be favored by experts again due to their run game advantage, but Argos have been in this position before and have won as underdogs all playoffs long. It should be another run vs. pass thriller and I'm riding with Argos to last second in another close toss up game.
                      Last edited by Argonut; 12-15-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Comment

I think Minnesota going to be to slow for your team

Comment

Early line is in, Massey has Mankato as a 7.5 point favorite and gives them a 72.6% probability of winning the championship.

Comment

I wanted to take advantage of the ridiculous -19.5 +800 vs Ferris State but couldn't find a place that actually had it.
                              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X