Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay Lindsey View Post

One could argue, looking back, that UWF at VSU 2nd round game was the national championship game. I think a lot of people felt the winner of that game would go all the way. Call me crazy.
    Agreed. In our two games with UWF we beat them for 3 quarters and they beat us for 5 quarters (VSU owned the first half of first game (along with the end of the 4th quarter) and the 4th quarter in second game).

For entertainment I'd have liked to have seen Mankato play Ferris and UWF play Slippery Rock in the semi's.

I think the former would be a slobberknocker. Also would have been fun to watch Reed and Rivers shoot it out.

But regardless, congratulations to UWF. Great season (and particularly impressive run through the playoffs (in some ways reminds me of VSU NC in 2012, which was a whole lot of fun).

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Lindsey View Post

One could argue, looking back, that UWF at VSU 2nd round game was the national championship game. I think a lot of people felt the winner of that game would go all the way. Call me crazy.
      That long memorable last drive in the West Florida/Valdosta State game, that included some 4th down situations, ended up being for all the marbles.
      * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
      * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
      * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Agreed. In our two games with UWF we beat them for 3 quarters and they beat us for 5 quarters (VSU owned the first half of first game (along with the end of the 4th quarter) and the 4th quarter in second game).

For entertainment I'd have liked to have seen Mankato play Ferris and UWF play Slippery Rock in the semi's.

I think the former would be a slobberknocker. Also would have been fun to watch Reed and Rivers shoot it out.

But regardless, congratulations to UWF. Great season (and particularly impressive run through the playoffs (in some ways reminds me of VSU NC in 2012, which was a whole lot of fun).
        Ferris State and Minn State were both way better than Slippery Rock. SR scored 15 points against MSM. Our D would have shut them down like we did against Ferris and our O probably would have put up 60 before calling off the dogs. We would have taken The Rock to pound town. That would have been a terrible match-up. The score would have been worse than 58-15, why would you want to watch that?
        * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Comment

Comment

Argos definitely improved tremendously from loss to Carson Newman and close win in Overtime at home to Mississippi College.

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

Ferris State and Minn State were both way better than Slippery Rock. SR scored 15 points against MSM. Our D would have shut them down like we did against Ferris and our O probably would have put up 60 before calling off the dogs. We would have taken The Rock to pound town. That would have been a terrible match-up. The score would have been worse than 58-15, why would you want to watch that?
                "Pound town"? Really?

We're back in middle school again. : - )

I personally would have enjoyed seeing those teams play each other. Particularly the Ferris/Mankato.

But nothing would change the outcome. UWF is still and would be the national champion for 2020 (but winning back to back championships has only happened 8 times in the history of the D2 NC - it's a tough hill to climb (you'll have a target on your back every game)).

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

"Pound town"? Really?

We're back in middle school again. : - )

I personally would have enjoyed seeing those teams play each other. Particularly the Ferris/Mankato.

But nothing would change the outcome. UWF is still and would be the national champion for 2020 (but winning back to back championships has only happened 8 times in the history of the D2 NC - it's a tough hill to climb (you'll have a target on your back every game)).
                  Two things. #1.) We are the champions for 2019. Even I'm not claiming a 2020 National Championship. #2.) Pound town. We would have pounded them. Why is that middle school? Sounds like you got your head in the gutter, mister.
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Everett View Post
                    you were fortunate to get past Lenoir-Rhyne. Would definitely rank the top five teams right now as WF,Valdosta,Minnesota State,Lenoir Rhyne, Ferris State.
                    It was 40-24 at one point in the 4th. I don't know that I would say we were fortunate to beat L-R. I think L-R was fortunate to be in the game with us at the end and make the score look respectable.
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
                      To recap and update the Argo Storm Trooper legend.

14-3 Overall record in all whites.
                      9-1 Playoff record- highest D2 win %.
                      8-0 Playoff record on opposing team fields.
                      4-0 Playoff record against #1 seeds.
                      3-0 Playoff record against GSC and SAC teams.
                      2-0 Playoff record in 30 degree temps.
                      1-1 Playoff record in Natty.

All playoff records accomplished in only 2 playoff appearances and as underdog in every game!

Gooo Arrrgggooosss!!!
                      What was their record in days games in August?

Comment

I always wondered if he was supposed to resemble Don Mattingly.

* 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

LR driving to win game in last two minutes. UWF you know kinda like the way you guys did to Valdosta except you scored. Congratulations on the championship of WF.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Everett View Post
                            Argos definitely improved tremendously from loss to Carson Newman and close win in Overtime at home to Mississippi College.
                            North Greenville pulled within three points late in the game here in P'cola and recovered an inside onside kick with less than 2 mins to go but the Argos D held.

The Crusaders also played VSU close but finished 8th in the conference.

The GSC should be very interesting in 2020.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

Two things. #1.) We are the champions for 2019. Even I'm not claiming a 2020 National Championship. #2.) Pound town. We would have pounded them. Why is that middle school? Sounds like you got your head in the gutter, mister.
                              Nothing at all gutterish in my thoughts. Just thought the terminology (drama) was funny. Still, probably shouldn't have thrown the middle school jab in there. Sorry about that.

And yes, you are the national champions (from now through the 2020 championship, when hopefully someone else will be (naturally my hope is VSU)).

Will be interesting to see how things go next year. You have a lot of talent coming back (but you had a lot of guys finish this past Saturday as well). Only 8 repeats in the history of D2. Looking back 20 years, the same 4 teams have won 14 of the last 20 NC's (going back to 2000 - that's NWMSU, GVSU, VSU and Minn Duluth). Then there were 4 other folks that won one (of course ND State moved up and continued their winning ways in FCS). Now UWF has claimed one. Time will tell if UWF is a one hit wonder or a factor every year in the championship

Interestingly, what UWF has just done reminds me a lot of VSU's path. UWF made it to their first championship in 2017 and lost (VSU did that in 2002). Two years later UWF made it again and won it (VSU did that in 2004). In 2012 a 2 loss VSU team won the championship (and UWF did it in 2019).I just see a lot of parallels between the accomplishments of the two teams.

I think UWF has some pieces in place to continue that (and in my mind it isn't all tied to Reed). I think it's tied to how you fill the gaps on the offensive and defensive lines (which is where championships are won or lost). Also if you keep the coaching staff intact (one thing I love about Shinnick's in game coaching style is that he attacks the field (same with K Bell). They aren't just running plays, they're in attack mode. I think that's the way football was meant to be played). Anyway, people love to hire away folks that have broken the code of how to win championships. Time will tell if that happens at UWF.

Speaking of the coaching staff, I look at the job Kaleb Nobles has done in coaching up Reed. Nothing surprising to me there. In 2012 Kaleb was a freshman at VSU but was a coach on the sidelines during that championship run. Besides being a great guy he's a phenomenal competitor. Super football mind and talent. I imagine a fine recruiter. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shinnick stay at UWF a few more years and when he leaves Kaleb become the heir to that top spot (Hal Mumme laid the foundation at VSU in the mid 90's, and then Chris Hatcher became the HC at VSU at age 27 in 2000. That started a nice run for the Blazers).

Anyway, congratulations to all the West Florida fans. You are the champions for the next 12 months. You are the last man standing out of 167 or so teams. And you are officially "The Man".
                              Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 12-24-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X