Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Florida will be Reed-iculous again next year

We lose a lot of legends, but the speculation that Austin Reed will go back to D1 is something I don't see happening. What could be more fun than playing the next 3 years where you are already a hero? If the bookstore starts selling white #14 UWF jerseys they will sell out of them in a week. Leaving for D1 would not do anything for this young gunslinger. In my opinion, he is the front runner for the Harlon Hill next year (with all due respect, he's easily better than the QB that won it this year). Staying in Pensacola where he is the man, instead of going to a D1 where anything can happen to his career is the obvious move to me. In 2017, we lost to QB Luis Perez in the D2 National Championship. He was drafted by the Rams a few months later. Any goal Austin Reed could possibly dream of can best be achieved by staying on the beautiful Florida panhandle.

We return Ashley and Coats at WR and all of our RBs. Hopefully, we can add some weapons like we did this year and hit the ground running.
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Who is saying he'd transfer back to D1? That's silly. He'd have to sit a year.

This year's squad was successful mainly due to the time he had to throw as gifted by those big, experienced offensive linemen - many of which started almost every game the Argos have ever played. If Shinnick can replace them, it should be another good year for the Argos. Of course, lots of other talented players graduating (like Lehtio). This was the year Shinnick built this team for since he got to Pensacola. Trying to keep that going will be interesting to watch.

From Senior Day notes:

SPECIAL DAY FOR 25 UWF SENIORSTy Cox, Ethan Cruz, Andre Duncombe, Jr., Devin Gibson, Kevin Grant, Ed Kinnon, Gage Krull, Tate Lehtio, Stephen Mathews, Quentin Randolph, Jerel Ricketts, Chris Sakamoto, Josh Smiley and Darryl Wilson.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
      We lose a lot of legends, but the speculation that Austin Reed will go back to D1 is something I don't see happening. What could be more fun than playing the next 3 years where you are already a hero? If the bookstore starts selling white #14 UWF jerseys they will sell out of them in a week. Leaving for D1 would not do anything for this young gunslinger. In my opinion, he is the front runner for the Harlon Hill next year (with all due respect, he's easily better than the QB that won it this year). Staying in Pensacola where he is the man, instead of going to a D1 where anything can happen to his career is the obvious move to me. In 2017, we lost to QB Luis Perez in the D2 National Championship. He was drafted by the Rams a few months later. Any goal Austin Reed could possibly dream of can best be achieved by staying on the beautiful Florida panhandle.

We return Ashley and Coats at WR and all of our RBs. Hopefully, we can add some weapons like we did this year and hit the ground running.
      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Reed is good but one game against a slower over hyped defense doesn't make him a Harlon Hill winner. He didn't and couldn't put up these kind of numbers against no Gulf South opponent. Quit hating on Rivers.

Comment

You just hated on Rivers by saying he couldn't put up those ridiculous numbers on the GSC. But I do think that Reed will at least be in the conversation for preseason consideration, but sooo much is dependent upon team chemistry, success, and injuries. Remember, after we were runner-up in '17, Mike Beaudry missed all but six minutes of '18 with injuries. Also, didn't Dusty Bonner put up some insane numbers at Valdosta State?

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
            You just hated on Rivers by saying he couldn't put up those ridiculous numbers on the GSC. But I do think that Reed will at least be in the conversation for preseason consideration, but sooo much is dependent upon team chemistry, success, and injuries. Remember, after we were runner-up in '17, Mike Beaudry missed all but six minutes of '18 with injuries. Also, didn't Dusty Bonner put up some insane numbers at Valdosta State?
            Yes, 20 years ago. It's been 17 seasons since the GSC has had a Harlon Hill winner. Will Hall in 2003. The conference won five between 1994 and 2003. None since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Hill_Trophy
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Yes, 20 years ago. It's been 17 seasons since the GSC has had a Harlon Hill winner. Will Hall in 2003. The conference won five between 1994 and 2003. None since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Hill_Trophy
              My final comment was that Bonner put up ridiculous numbers, at that time, against GSC foes. So if it happened 17 years ago, it could happen again.

Comment

Have no clue what next year looks like for UWF, but Shinnick has some work to do.

You won't have Lehtio, Randolph or Grant at receiver (that's pretty significant - you average 280 a game and those three guys account for 180 of that. Losing them is pretty significant). You also lose 3 of your starters on the o-line (center and left side of the line).That's pretty significant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Have no clue what next year looks like for UWF, but Shinnick has some work to do.

You won't have Lehtio, Randolph or Grant at receiver (that's pretty significant - you average 280 a game and those three guys account for 180 of that. Losing them is pretty significant). You also lose 3 of your starters on the o-line (center and left side of the line).That's pretty significant as well.
                  I wonder if Shinnick goes the JUCO route or if he has guys on the roster ready to fill those positions.
                  RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                  Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

My final comment was that Bonner put up ridiculous numbers, at that time, against GSC foes. So if it happened 17 years ago, it could happen again.
                    I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I'm just saying that it hasnt happened in 17 seasons, so it's unlikely, especially if he didn't do it this year with the most experienced o-line and receivers in the country. It could happen, but probably not.

And, not trying to be rude, but almost everything you two UWF fans are saying was said by VSU fans last year. "Why would Bell leave, he loves it here?", "Wells will be the early favorite for the Harlon Hill", etc., etc.

Bell left, Wells was a finalist but didn't win, no title repeat, and so on. I've watched the GSC since '85 and covered it for the past five seasons until this year. It's just very difficult to dominate the conference enough to get the stats needed to truly compete for the Hill Trophy since greater parity arrived in the league.

All that said, I've lived in Pensacola for over 15 years and just thrilled college football is here and doing well. If UWF sucked, the locals would still be completely blinded by their FBS loyalties. Now, my wish is for a real marching band. Lol. #BandGeekAlert
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Oh, I agree. Nobody has more respect for these seniors than me. My subject for this thread was just referring to Reed coming back to UWF. Once the celebrating settles, West Florida has a ton of work to do. I haven't forgot the 2018 season. We started that year ranked #1. We didn't make the playoffs. You've got to earn it every year. I can't imagine a situation where we are as talented at WR next year as what we were this year.
                      * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                      * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                      * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

To recap and update the Argo Storm Trooper legend.

14-3 Overall record in all whites.
                        9-1 Playoff record- highest D2 win %.
                        8-0 Playoff record on opposing team fields.
                        4-0 Playoff record against #1 seeds.
                        3-0 Playoff record against GSC and SAC teams.
                        2-0 Playoff record in 30 degree temps.
                        1-1 Playoff record in Natty.

All playoff records accomplished in only 2 playoff appearances and as underdog in every game!

Gooo Arrrgggooosss!!!

Comment

To be fair, VSU probably wins it all if UWF doesn't knock them off. I still think they were the best team the Argos played all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
                            To be fair, VSU probably wins it all if UWF doesn't knock them off. I still think they were the best team the Argos played all year.
                            One could argue, looking back, that UWF at VSU 2nd round game was the national championship game. I think a lot of people felt the winner of that game would go all the way. Call me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I'm just saying that it hasnt happened in 17 seasons, so it's unlikely, especially if he didn't do it this year with the most experienced o-line and receivers in the country. It could happen, but probably not.

And, not trying to be rude, but almost everything you two UWF fans are saying was said by VSU fans last year. "Why would Bell leave, he loves it here?", "Wells will be the early favorite for the Harlon Hill", etc., etc.

Bell left, Wells was a finalist but didn't win, no title repeat, and so on. I've watched the GSC since '85 and covered it for the past five seasons until this year. It's just very difficult to dominate the conference enough to get the stats needed to truly compete for the Hill Trophy since greater parity arrived in the league.

All that said, I've lived in Pensacola for over 15 years and just thrilled college football is here and doing well. If UWF sucked, the locals would still be completely blinded by their FBS loyalties. Now, my wish is for a real marching band. Lol. #BandGeekAlert
                              I understand what you're saying, but make sure you you understand what I said abut Reed and the HH. He'll receive "preseason consideration" and a host of caveats have to be in place for further consideration. I never said he'd be a favorite or winner, but his last performance against MSM in the championship game means he will be given preseason or very early season consideration, given a whole host of things that have to fall in place. Also, Bonner put up his numbers after the wild success of UNA and a Delta State natty, with up and coming VSU making noise in the conference and nationally. If it happened before, it could happen again. That's all I inferred.

I don't think I made any comments about Shinnick, but I hope he returns since UWF tends to hold on to their coaches, even after championships. Yes, football and the pay can be a different animal, but Bell's history as an HC is not the same as Shinnick's. We shall see,,,,

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X