Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Coach Shinnick Show - November 6

UWF Athletics went 7-0 last week, and we cover it all on the Coach Shinnick Show! #GoArgos�

Comment

The Coach Shinnick Show - November 13

It's Wednesday, so it's time for a new edition of the Coach Shinnick Show! #GoArgos

Comment

The Coach Shinnick Show - November 20

It's postseason time @UWF! We cover all the action on the Coach Shinnick Show this week. #GoArgos

Comment

The Coach Shinnick Show - November 27

Comment

The Coach Shinnick Show - December 4

Comment

Is there ever a way we recruit and get guys like Damean Bivins from Pace or Earnest Stallworth from Pensacola? I know we get some great transfers, which I really love, but do we ever get to the point we can get them out of high school as well? The guys who are lower-level FBS kind of players. I'm playing devil's advocate when I say this a little bit, but what do you get out of going and playing for a team that went 1-7 in the Sun Belt for example like Bivins is for South Alabama. Those kinds of guys could stay in Pensacola and play for West Florida and be absolute studs.

I'm not saying any of that in a way that implies our coaches should do a better job recruiting those guys. We've got the best coaches we could ever ask for. I'm asking more from a standpoint of if the appeal to play for West Florida ever starts to become better than going to schools like South Alabama. In 4 years we've gone to the "final 4" twice. Isn't that more fun than playing for a terrible South Alabama team and there being absolutely no glory ever?
              Last edited by West Florida; 12-11-2019, 10:49 PM.
              * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
              * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
              * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Freshman QB Austin Reed shatters records as West Florida wins Division II national title

QB Austin Reed broke the Division II national championship game records for passing yards and touchdowns in West Florida's win over Minnesota State.

Comment

Check out these record-setting numbers from the 2019 DII football championship game

West Florida defeated Minnesota State 48-40 to win the 2019 DII football championship. Argos quarterback Austin Reed led a record-setting attack en route to the program's first national championship.

Comment

UWF With Reed-iculous Win Over Minnesota State For National Title

MCKINNEY, Texas���Redshirt freshman Austin Reed had a record-setting performance and senior Quentin Randolph saved his best for last as 20th-ranked UWF defeated fourth-ranked Minnesota State, 48-40, for the program's first Division II National Championship at McKinney ISD Stadium Saturday.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                            Is there ever a way we recruit and get guys like Damean Bivins from Pace or Earnest Stallworth from Pensacola? I know we get some great transfers, which I really love, but do we ever get to the point we can get them out of high school as well? The guys who are lower-level FBS kind of players. I'm playing devil's advocate when I say this a little bit, but what do you get out of going and playing for a team that went 1-7 in the Sun Belt for example like Bivins is for South Alabama. Those kinds of guys could stay in Pensacola and play for West Florida and be absolute studs.

I'm not saying any of that in a way that implies our coaches should do a better job recruiting those guys. We've got the best coaches we could ever ask for. I'm asking more from a standpoint of if the appeal to play for West Florida ever starts to become better than going to schools like South Alabama. In 4 years we've gone to the "final 4" twice. Isn't that more fun than playing for a terrible South Alabama team and there being absolutely no glory ever?
                            UNA faced and still faces this issue. Many D2/FCS schools do. Some kids only want to play FBS.

Similar in other sports. UNA is now getting recruits that wouldn't consider them in prior years just because of the D1 label.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post

The reason D2 schools will not get those types of players is simple... Scholarships. At the D2 level, football teams are allotted 36 scholarships. Those 36 scholarships can be allocated to players as the Coach sees fit. So that means most of the players on the team are getting partial scholarships (1/4, 1/3, 1/2, etc). Now, some players may get offered a full ride, but it is rare. At the D2 level you have to be able to balance those 36 scholarships (along with financial aid) among a full roster of 90+ players at times. Obviously, at the D2 level, not every player is getting school payed for.

D1 FBS = 85 athletic scholarships
                              D1 FCS = 63 athletic scholarships
                              D2 = 36 athletic scholarships
                              D3 = 0 athletic scholarships
                              NAIA = 24

Of course winning is important, but taking care of family is important, too. Why would a player choose to go D2 where the player/player's family will have to pay out of pocket? That same player can go to a D1 school and not have to pay a dime. A lot of it will depend on the family; if the player's family has money, then sure, why not stay home and play. But if the family struggles financially, it's a no brainer to go D1 and have everything paid for.

That's also why depth is so important when D2 plays FCS, and FCS plays FBS. You'll often times see the lower level schools hanging around for the 1st and 2nd quarter, but after half time the depth just becomes too much and they get blown out. Not always, of course, but a lot of times that's why.
                              Side note: Proud to say during my time at DSU we beat both FCS schools that were on our schedule (Stephen F. Austin '06 and Jackson State '07). JSU won the SWAC the year we beat them.
                              Last edited by CalifOKRA; 12-26-2019, 10:49 AM.
                              RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                              Delta State University, GSC

Comment

• Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

The reason D2 schools will not get those types of players is simple... Scholarships. At the D2 level, football teams are allotted 36 scholarships. Those 36 scholarships can be allocated to players as the Coach sees fit. .

Can a scholarship be divided up? Could it say , pay for books or half of tuition? Always wondered that.

p.s. ** It looks like Tate Lehtio , is a grad student and will graduate.? I sure hope so. He'll be in the NFL one day.

Last edited by Wide_Right; 12-26-2019, 12:33 PM.
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X