Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

Can a scholarship be divided up? Could it say , pay for books or half of tuition? Always wondered that.

p.s. ** It looks like Tate Lehtio , is a grad student and will graduate.? I sure hope so. He'll be in the NFL one day.
    This page explains D2 scholarships: http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i...olarship-model

But yes, the scholarships are divided among players.

Lehito is a grad student. That means he already graduated (earned his Bachelor's degree), so he's been working on his Master's degree. To be eligible a player has to carry 12 hours/credits as an undergrad. A grad student will need to be enrolled in 9 hours/credits.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

• Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

Can a scholarship be divided up? Could it say , pay for books or half of tuition? Always wondered that.

p.s. ** It looks like Tate Lehtio , is a grad student and will graduate.? I sure hope so. He'll be in the NFL one day.

Just think of a scholarship as a dollar amount that can be applied to any educational expense.

Comment

• I was talking with B.L. she heard some strange ways to divide it up. I am glad the NCAA is flexible in that. Allows more kids access to college they might not have had.
        <>

Comment

• Yes Lehtio has exhausted his eligibility, will be strange not seeing 88 out there. Going to be some enormous shoes to fill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
            Yes Lehtio has exhausted his eligibility, will be strange not seeing 88 out there. Going to be some enormous shoes to fill.
            Loved watching him play, he's a gamer and will be in NLF no doubt.
            <>

Comment

• The Coach Shinnick Show - December 25 -- National Champion Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

The reason D2 schools will not get those types of players is simple... Scholarships. At the D2 level, football teams are allotted 36 scholarships. Those 36 scholarships can be allocated to players as the Coach sees fit. So that means most of the players on the team are getting partial scholarships (1/4, 1/3, 1/2, etc). Now, some players may get offered a full ride, but it is rare. At the D2 level you have to be able to balance those 36 scholarships (along with financial aid) among a full roster of 90+ players at times. Obviously, at the D2 level, not every player is getting school payed for.

D1 FBS = 85 athletic scholarships
                D1 FCS = 63 athletic scholarships
                D2 = 36 athletic scholarships
                D3 = 0 athletic scholarships
                NAIA = 24

Of course winning is important, but taking care of family is important, too. Why would a player choose to go D2 where the player/player's family will have to pay out of pocket? That same player can go to a D1 school and not have to pay a dime. A lot of it will depend on the family; if the player's family has money, then sure, why not stay home and play. But if the family struggles financially, it's a no brainer to go D1 and have everything paid for.

That's also why depth is so important when D2 plays FCS, and FCS plays FBS. You'll often times see the lower level schools hanging around for the 1st and 2nd quarter, but after half time the depth just becomes too much and they get blown out. Not always, of course, but a lot of times that's why.
                Side note: Proud to say during my time at DSU we beat both FCS schools that were on our schedule (Stephen F. Austin '06 and Jackson State '07). JSU won the SWAC the year we beat them.
                Great response!
                * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Yes Lehtio has exhausted his eligibility, will be strange not seeing 88 out there. Going to be some enormous shoes to fill.
                  We don't even know West Florida football without #88 out there, we've never played a year without him. It'll take me a while to get used to that. Honestly, it may sound ridiculous, but if it was my call I'd retire his jersey. I think he has meant that much to the program.
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post

We don't even know West Florida football without #88 out there, we've never played a year without him. It'll take me a while to get used to that. Honestly, it may sound ridiculous, but if it was my call I'd retire his jersey. I think he has meant that much to the program.
                    If y'all have a hall of fame I'd imagine he'll be in there as soon as he's eligible.

He's definitely a force for opponents to reckon with (and IMO the best receiver we played against this year).

Comment

• Clutch = 88

Comment

• Might want to keep an eye on his little brother, Tai Lehtio, #89, redshirt freshman at Florida Tech. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Comment

• Editorial: UWF's championship is a win beyond football

Coach Pete Shinnick and his record-shattering program have been a true gift to our community.

Comment

Oh, you will get to see him play again. No doubt.
                            <>

Comment

Might want to keep an eye on his little brother, Tai Lehtio, #89, redshirt freshman at Florida Tech. Will be interesting to see how he develops.
                              I know of a better D2 school in the state of Florida he could be playing at. Come put on the blue and green Tai!
                              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Coach Shinnick a guest on the Paul Finebaum Show

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X