Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 spring football

I know there has been a lot of talk and articles written on some FBS conferences keeping the hope alive for spring football, but I haven't been able to find near as much on D2 for the spring. Anyone know if there is a legit shot at trying to do that or is it just kind of looking like next fall?
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
    I know there has been a lot of talk and articles written on some FBS conferences keeping the hope alive for spring football, but I haven't been able to find near as much on D2 for the spring. Anyone know if there is a legit shot at trying to do that or is it just kind of looking like next fall?
    As of now the RMAC is planning on spring football but there will be no conference championship. They are letting each school create their schedule against both conference and non-conference teams. It will certainly not be a real season that takes place, no playoffs, just a glorified scrimmage schedule is what I guess most will attempt.

https://rmacsports.org/news/2020/8/1...all-udate.aspx

Now, keep in mind that until there is a vaccine readily available nothing really changes so spring ball could very likely not happen but it's on for now in some conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

As of now the RMAC is planning on spring football but there will be no conference championship. They are letting each school create their schedule against both conference and non-conference teams. It will certainly not be a real season that takes place, no playoffs, just a glorified scrimmage schedule is what I guess most will attempt.

https://rmacsports.org/news/2020/8/1...all-udate.aspx

Now, keep in mind that until there is a vaccine readily available nothing really changes so spring ball could very likely not happen but it's on for now in some conferences.
      Thanks for that info! Gosh, yeah that's not the exciting D2 football format that we all love.
      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Champions like to play for championships. I don't see why anyone would give up a year of eligibility to play a "glorified scrimmage season".

My guess is many (particularly seniors) will sit it out and it'll become more like a JV league rather than a regular football season.

Comment

Seems like playing all sports in the spring will be a logistical nightmare. Some sports share facilities and certainly all of them share A.Ts., SIDs, campus police, etc. That is a problem for a small budget D2 program.

I don't think we play anything that even closely resembles a fall football season if we play in the spring. If I had to place a bet, it would be no football this year.

Hate it for the players, hate it for the small businesses that count on the extra game day business, hate it for the refs that get screamed at to help put Jr. through college, hate it for me cause i will probably have to go shopping or visiting or weddings with my wife on Saturdays rather than tailgate and watch football!

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
            Seems like playing all sports in the spring will be a logistical nightmare. Some sports share facilities and certainly all of them share A.Ts., SIDs, campus police, etc. That is a problem for a small budget D2 program.

I don't think we play anything that even closely resembles a fall football season if we play in the spring. If I had to place a bet, it would be no football this year.

Hate it for the players, hate it for the small businesses that count on the extra game day business, hate it for the refs that get screamed at to help put Jr. through college, hate it for me cause i will probably have to go shopping or visiting or weddings with my wife on Saturdays rather than tailgate and watch football!
            Well said. Scared that my fate will be the same with my wife.
            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

I noticed that Shorter has a game scheduled to host Limestone on March 6.
              �After the traditional fall season was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Limestone University unveiled a reduced spring football schedule featuring six games, including four South Atlantic Confe
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

It appears the GSC will not have conference football in the spring.

Wallace and Gilliland plan to hold an abbreviated football season next semester with a possibility of two, or three, contests. The hurdle is finding teams who are willing to play.
                Without football, UWA coach Brett Gilliland found the most positive thing to come from the pandemic is family time.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                  It appears the GSC will not have conference football in the spring.

Wallace and Gilliland plan to hold an abbreviated football season next semester with a possibility of two, or three, contests. The hurdle is finding teams who are willing to play.
                  If the NCAA is allowing another year of eligibility, why not play an abbreviated season. 400k to test athletes 3x a week. That is incredible. Come on vaccine!

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

If the NCAA is allowing another year of eligibility, why not play an abbreviated season. 400k to test athletes 3x a week. That is incredible. Come on vaccine!
                    The NCAA says 3 tests per week if you have competition. That is quite expensive for a D2 school

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
                      Champions like to play for championships. I don't see why anyone would give up a year of eligibility to play a "glorified scrimmage season".

My guess is many (particularly seniors) will sit it out and it'll become more like a JV league rather than a regular football season.
                      They won't be giving up their eligibility. They can play "glorified" spring scrimmages if able to when we get to spring without losing eligibility. This year is a no count for eligibility. It will also give coaches the opportunity to see the young guys under game conditions. If they are actually able to play in the spring (we shall see) it will be a good opportunity for the young guys to get experience without it counting. Older players will probably play a little to keep up their chops but probably not a ton of playing time to avoid injury.

Comment

Coach Shinnick has stated in recent interviews that UWF is planning to have 2-3 scrimmages against other teams in the spring if they can schedule them. My guess is that these games will not be at Blue Wahoo due to expense and conflict with Blue Wahoos baseball team. They would be held at UWF practice field or away at scheduled teams field.

Comment

Pensacola native Devin Gibson stood in the middle of euphoria Friday night at Blue Wahoos Stadium, wearing a smile as big as the massive bling on his finger.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                            UWF football: Argos receive massive national title rings at long last
                            https://www.pnj.com
                            Pensacola native Devin Gibson stood in the middle of euphoria Friday night at Blue Wahoos Stadium, wearing a smile as big as the massive bling on
                            it is a Nice Ring!

Comment

The SAC has a spring schedule.

https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...ball-divisions

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X