Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC - Football Member Standards Question

Just curious, say if D3 Louisiana College (enrollment 1,200), or any other D3 school wanted to join the GSC, are there any minimum standards in the number of required offered football scholarships (be it 1 or 25) or standards for facilities presently in place?

Not that I'm aware of, but that's nothing official. Never heard it discussed back when PSAC and maybe others had 25 scholarship limit for conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      Just curious, say if D3 Louisiana College (enrollment 1,200), or any other D3 school wanted to join the GSC, are there any minimum standards in the number of required offered football scholarships (be it 1 or 25) or standards for facilities presently in place?
      If a D3 moves up to the GSC, it won't be Louisiana College. They're headed back to the NAIA this fall.

Comment

How about just contacting the GSC office.

Comment

Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
          How about just contacting the GSC office.
          Figured I would check with the D2 GSC fans, since they have a reputation of being very informed.

Hopefully the GSC conference has minimums in place for adding D3 schools. I've seen in the past where a D3 team had high aspirations of moving up a division but failed miserably, eventually had to drop back down.

Comment

Figured I would check with the D2 GSC fans, since they have a reputation of being very informed.

Hopefully the GSC conference has minimums in place for adding D3 schools. I've seen in the past where a D3 team had high aspirations of moving up a division but failed miserably, eventually had to drop back down.
            I believe the school would have to meet NCAA requirements and actually move up to D2 before they could actually join a conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

I believe the school would have to meet NCAA requirements and actually move up to D2 before they could actually join a conference.
              They have to have their application supported by a D2 conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

They have to have their application supported by a D2 conference.
                Unfortunately, other than that, it appears as though there's really no requirements or standards for a D3 school to transition to D2, not even scholarship allocation requirements. For the integrity of D2, I believe conferences must put minimums into place. There's lots of NCAA requirements for D2 schools to move to D1 status. Other than required academics, there's not much difference in the requirements for running a Division 2 football program than there is for a standard high school program. Time for changes.

Comment

Here's some info:

Becoming a Division II member institution
                  http://www.ncaa.org/governance/becom...er-institution

Divisional Differences and the History of Multidivision Classification
                  http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-are...classification

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
                  https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/mem...quirements.pdf

Division II Membership
                  http://www.ncaa.org/governance/membership?division=d2
                  RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                  Delta State University, GSC

Comment

So, other than filling out the right forms, attending meetings, meeting academic standards, and paying a fee, there's basically no difference between high school mandated requirements and NCAA Division 2 football minimum requirements and standards. I'm lobbying the SAC to implement a minimum standard of 10 football scholarships (should be at least 15) annually for participating conference schools. From what I understand Brevard College operated with only a couple of scholarships for years while they were members of the SAC, prior to dropping back to D3.

Comment

So, other than filling out the right forms, attending meetings, meeting academic standards, and paying a fee, there's basically no difference between high school mandated requirements and NCAA Division 2 football minimum requirements and standards. I'm lobbying the SAC to implement a minimum standard of 10 football scholarships (should be at least 15) annually for participating conference schools. From what I understand Brevard College operated with only a couple of scholarships for years while they were members of the SAC, prior to dropping back to D3.
                      It seems the amount of scholarships offered is up to the individual institution. Obviously DII schools are not making the money that DI schools make. More than likely, your lobbying of the SAC will fall on deaf ears. I do like the idea of having a minimum amount of scholarships to participate in a particular conference, especially one as competitive as the GSC, but that just doesn't align with the DII philosophy. Not all schools have the same funding, especially at the DII level with so many variances. This holds true when some schools have over 10k students and other schools in that same conference have under 5k students.

DII places more emphasis on academics than it does football scholarships, or athletics in general. Along with cost, academics is why they use a regional alignment. Unless you change the DII philosophy, arguing over DII scholarships is a moot point.

"keeps athletics participation in perspective within the educational mission;"

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/divis...ophy-statement

2. Academic emphasis.3. Athletics scholarships.4. Balanced Bottom Line. The median expense for Division II athletics departments with football is roughly $7.4 million, while that figure is about $20.1 million for Division I Football Championship Subdivision programs and about $80.8 million for programs in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.

http://www.ncaa.org/division-ii-facts-and-figures
                      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Unfortunately, other than that, it appears as though there's really no requirements or standards for a D3 school to transition to D2, not even scholarship allocation requirements. For the integrity of D2, I believe conferences must put minimums into place. There's lots of NCAA requirements for D2 schools to move to D1 status. Other than required academics, there's not much difference in the requirements for running a Division 2 football program than there is for a standard high school program. Time for changes.
                        What are these requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

What are these requirements?
                          To remain in Division I, a school must grant at least 50 percent of the maximum number of scholarships the NCAA allows in each sport. Alternatively, it can issue an NCAA-prescribed minimum dollar amount of aid to athletes, which as of the 2009-10 school year was about $1.15 million, with at least half going to women's sports. Or it can offer at least 25 men's and 25 women's scholarships in sports besides football and basketball (or 35 of each if the school doesn't play basketball).

FCS schools must meet only these criteria. FBS schools have additional requirements: provide 90 percent of the maximum allowable football scholarships and offer at least 200 scholarships or at least $4 million in total athletic scholarships across all sports.

Once every two years on a rolling basis, average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football games. This requirement applies only to FBS schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X