Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSU Spring Practice

The National Champion Valdosta State Blazers have begun Spring practice and have a new head coach in charge. I don't really have any information other than that just thought I would let our local newspaper and University Sports information Department know about that. Of course we will get plenty of stories about women's soccer, dance team, softball, etc but nothing about spring football.
    My top story lines for spring practice:
    1. Does the new offense keep rolling with the new system? all the parts are there (except maybe a OL spot or two)
    2. Do we find a way to get Durham involved in the new system. I honestly believe we may have 2 of the top 5 qb's in all of division 2 on our team and we need to find ways to get the ball in Ivory Durham's hands.
    3. Can the Defense improve or at least maintain the success they had last year?

Re: VSU Spring Practice

Originally posted by deanmachine View Post
    The National Champion Valdosta State Blazers have begun Spring practice and have a new head coach in charge. I don't really have any information other than that just thought I would let our local newspaper and University Sports information Department know about that. Of course we will get plenty of stories about women's soccer, dance team, softball, etc but nothing about spring football.
    My top story lines for spring practice:
    1. Does the new offense keep rolling with the new system? all the parts are there (except maybe a OL spot or two)
    2. Do we find a way to get Durham involved in the new system. I honestly believe we may have 2 of the top 5 qb's in all of division 2 on our team and we need to find ways to get the ball in Ivory Durham's hands.
    3. Can the Defense improve or at least maintain the success they had last year?
    Good post I was going to post pretty much the same thing and I like Wells at quarterback but the position shouldn't be automatically giving to him and by reading the paper he's already the starting quarterback when the talented upcoming sophomore have the better arm and speed and playmaker ability and I agree he's to talented to be on the sidelines and inspite of his height he's a true quarterback and Goff can't let small town politics dictate what's best for the team he already got big shoes to fill and with all this talent he will be giving a short leash if this team don't succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollodex View Post
      Good post I was going to post pretty much the same thing and I like Wells at quarterback but the position shouldn't be automatically giving to him and by reading the paper he's already the starting quarterback when the talented upcoming sophomore have the better arm and speed and playmaker ability and I agree he's to talented to be on the sidelines and inspite of his height he's a true quarterback and Goff can't let small town politics dictate what's best for the team he already got big shoes to fill and with all this talent he will be giving a short leash if this team don't succeed.
      well I am not sure if we are on the same page because rogan wells is our starter and showed himself to be the best qb in D2 last season. But i do agree we need to mix in Durham and find other ways to get him on the field as well. I thought Kerwin did a great job of that last year and I hope Goff is creative enough to do the same type of things. I also hope we do not have any major academic casualties this year as well.

Comment

Seems our secondary has some open positions. This is one of my main concerns. Thoughts.
        <>

Comment

Originally posted by deanmachine View Post
          well I am not sure if we are on the same page because rogan wells is our starter and showed himself to be the best qb in D2 last season. But i do agree we need to mix in Durham and find other ways to get him on the field as well. I thought Kerwin did a great job of that last year and I hope Goff is creative enough to do the same type of things. I also hope we do not have any major academic casualties this year as well.
          I agree the championship game he was a beast and most of the season but no lie young Bell said to me and others he the better talent and arm just didn't know the offense well enough to be the starter but too good to redshirt. I just hope he don't transfer I'm pretty sure our rival West Georgia would love to have him. Outside of Rivers our secondary might be shacky.

Comment

Wells should definitely come in as starter and I'm sure Durham will have every opportunity to win the job. It's really not that complicated, for Durham to win the job it will have to be obvious even to Wells. If it's close then the job is Wells' and Durham should be given one or two meaningful drives (outcome still in doubt) and all of the mop up time each game.

If Durham has in fact mastered the playbook and their performance is close I don't see a problem implementing a two quarterback system. It could be a week to week decision based on their strengths & weaknesses verses that week's opponent or it could be drive by drive. I don't know about play by play swaps.

The Ole ball coach sometimes had a two QB system, who better to emulate:laugh:
            Last edited by boyblue; 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

1st Scrimmage report from the Spectator.

http://www.vsuspectator.com/2019/04/...Plo3P-6qQV3QiE

Also shout out to former Spectator sports writers now writing for the VDT!

#BlazerNation

Comment

I like what Mazone said about the defense. I think they needed improve from last year, and I think it will ....

<>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post
                  I like what Mazone said about the defense. I think they needed improve from last year, and I think it will ....
                  Offensively, they are probably learning Goff's system in stages. I don't think they will have the full system in play by the Spring Game, but it will give us a chance to see the players and some of our transfers.

Time for the returning players to step up to leadership roles. They know now what it takes to win a NC. The challenge will be to repeat -- a worthy goal to be the first team in VSU history to go back to back!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
                    Offensively, they are probably learning Goff's system in stages. I don't think they will have the full system in play by the Spring Game, but it will give us a chance to see the players and some of our transfers.

Time for the returning players to step up to leadership roles. They know now what it takes to win a NC. The challenge will be to repeat -- a worthy goal to be the first team in VSU history to go back to back!
                    I've been to several practices. I thought they looked pretty smooth on offense to be so early with a new coaching staff. A lot of talent. I like the way the o-line guy coaches his guys up. Depth looks a little thin there at this point. I think some injuries. Have heard have some transfers coming in on o-line.

Hard to tell on defense. Very athletic. D-line gets after it hard. DC coaches coaches em with a lot of intensity. Continuity in d-line coach. We'll see how that shapes up but I think we'll be fine on defense.

Biggest thing to be seen (and a huge factor last year and in '12) is who'll step up to become the on the field leaders. Championships aren't won without those leaders.

On the quarterback situation, does anyone really think they're going to sit Rogan down? He was the runner up for Harlon Hill (and is better (more well rounded) then the guy who won it).

Here's 2018 for Rogan: Had 732 yards rushing , 3075 yards passing and 25 receiving yards. That's 3832 yards that he accounted for. More impressively he accounted for 50 (FIFTY) touchdowns. FIFTY!!! That's 11 rushing, 38 passing and 1 receiving (and that one was exciting).

I think Durham will be an important contributor, but the only way I think he starts is if Rogan can't.
                    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 04-18-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
                      Here's 2018 for Rogan: Had 732 yards rushing , 3075 yards passing and 25 receiving yards. That's 3832 yards that he accounted for. More impressively he accounted for 50 (FIFTY) touchdowns. FIFTY!!! That's 11 rushing, 38 passing and 1 receiving (and that one was exciting).

That's counting from high school, right?! Unbelievable , I had no idea. I think Goff will use Durham pretty much like old what'-his-name-did. :)
                      <>

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
                        I've been to several practices. I thought they looked pretty smooth on offense to be so early with a new coaching staff. A lot of talent. I like the way the o-line guy coaches his guys up. Depth looks a little thin there at this point. I think some injuries. Have heard have some transfers coming in on o-line.

Hard to tell on defense. Very athletic. D-line gets after it hard. DC coaches coaches em with a lot of intensity. Continuity in d-line coach. We'll see how that shapes up but I think we'll be fine on defense.

Biggest thing to be seen (and a huge factor last year and in '12) is who'll step up to become the on the field leaders. Championships aren't won without those leaders.

On the quarterback situation, does anyone really think they're going to sit Rogan down? He was the runner up for Harlon Hill (and is better (more well rounded) then the guy who won it).

I think Durham will be an important contributor, but the only way I think he starts is if Rogan can't.
                        That sounds good.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X