Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ASUN

As most are aware, the ASUN (FCS) will be looking to expand this season and beyond. Several schools in the GSC fit the profile that the ASUN is aiming for (public schools with 10K+ enrollment). West Florida, West Georgia, and Valdosta State have all been mentioned as potential targets. What is the probability that UWF, UWG, and/or VSU get the call and pull the trigger?

A very low probability. Valdosta State and West Georgia do not meet the D1 sports requirement of 7/7 or 6m/8w. VSU has 6/6 and UWG has 5m/9w. So until VSU adds 2 sports and UWG adds a men's sport, neither are going to D1.Those two would also have to deal with the USG. I haven't heard much interest in D1 from West Florida since they got football started.

The impression I get when people mention D2 schools for D1 expansion is they are only repeating what someone else said or are just looking at a map. They ignore or don't know that the school does not actually meet basic D1 requirements and/or if the school has any interest in D1.

Comment

There is a fairly easy resolution for these teams to get to the D1 minimum threshold. UWG would need a Track and Field (M) team. Most mid-major schools have the same coach for men and women, so this is also a relatively low-cost addition to get them to the threshold.

Both schools have the support and resources to make it happen, the hold up could most certainly be the USG and their willingness to allow the institutions to explore this option.

Comment

I remember hearing rumors about UWF making the leap to D1 and the ASUN when I was a student back in the 90's. These rumors were always from those affiliated with the ASUN and never came from the University of West Florida. I believe there was a study done when UWF was looking into adding football. From what I remember the choice was to add football and stay D2 or go D1 and join the ASUN and not add football. If UWF decides to go D1 it won't be anytime soon, they tend to take their time and do things right, which is one of the reasons they have been so successful in most sports. After all it took close to 20 years for the Argos to actually start a football team so I can't really see them jumping into anything. I filled out the original feasibility study when I was a student and pledged my support if UWF added football, this occurred while we were transitioning from NAIA to D2 and joining the Gulf South Conference. Personally I am perfectly content with D2, and honestly I prefer the nuances of it as compared to D1.

Comment

I'm completely happy at D2. I echo everything Uwfalum98 said and I think it's how everyone affiliated with UWF feels. I don't have any interest in the ASUN. Until we are ready for the SEC, ACC or Big 12 lets just stay in the GSC. I love the GSC and D2 and hope we are in both for many years to come! I will say though that it's awesome to know that we might be wanted by D1 conferences. It speaks volumes about everything going on in Pensacola right now.
          * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
          * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
          * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

If you haven't already done so, check this thread out. https://csnbbs.com/thread-912233.html

At the current time, it has 361 posts and it feels like West Florida has been mentioned about 300 times.

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
              I'm completely happy at D2. I echo everything Uwfalum98 said and I think it's how everyone affiliated with UWF feels. I don't have any interest in the ASUN. Until we are ready for the SEC, ACC or Big 12 lets just stay in the GSC. I love the GSC and D2 and hope we are in both for many years to come! I will say though that it's awesome to know that we might be wanted by D1 conferences. It speaks volumes about everything going on in Pensacola right now.
              Yeah, all three of those conferences are looking to pick up a team from D-II.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                If you haven't already done so, check this thread out. https://csnbbs.com/thread-912233.html

At the current time, it has 361 posts and it feels like West Florida has been mentioned about 300 times.
                Great link, I enjoyed reading all of that. Really is awesome that West Florida is getting so much love and respect.
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Yeah, all three of those conferences are looking to pick up a team from D-II.
                  I don't understand sometimes how grown-ups can't read. I'm not sure how to respond to your comment. I don't think those 3 conferences want a D2 team just as I don't want to join the ASUN. Give it 20 years and maybe West Florida is in the SEC, you don't know. Texas A&M is in the SEC, you wouldn't have known that 20 years ago. Things happen man. You aren't being a rational observer and we really need you to be a rational observer. A lot depends on you being able to do that and a lot of people are counting on you.
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

ASUN Announces Exploration of Expansion & Building New NCAA Division I Multisport Conference

https://asunsports.org/general/2019-...20200122lh6utq

Comment

Guessing this is where the West Florida, West Georgia and Valdosta State rumors started.

The ASUN's ambitious expansion plan, explained:

Did you not really understand the press release? You're not alone. This might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
                        ASUN Announces Exploration of Expansion & Building New NCAA Division I Multisport Conference

https://asunsports.org/general/2019-...20200122lh6utq
                        That was the plan that got this started but it got tossed in the bin when NJIT left. All the activity going on now is Plan B.

Comment

Here is another ASUN realignment thread. It's over 300 posts.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-915446.html

This was posted this morning and parts of it might look familiar. I do need some help in knowing how Jacksonville State is a former rival of West Florida since JSU left the GSC in 1993 and UWF joined in 1994. UWF and uca were in the same conference for about ten years but were in different divisions and didn't face each other very often.
                          There are talk on D2 forums that West Georgia, Valdosta State and West Florida could be interested in joining the ASun. West Georgia needs to add 2 men's sports and one women's sports. Men's tracvk and men's tennis can be coached by the women's coach without hiring a new coach, and the volleyball coach can coach beach volleyball for the women's. Valdosta State can do the same with men's tennis. They could add both men and women's wrestling, beach volleyball and 1 other women sports. West Florida is set at 15 with 7/8. They seemed to be interested because of former rivals of Jacksonville State, North Alabama, UCA and interested in when North Florida will add football. With Kennesaw State already there, you tend to get a tight knit football there. They are the larger schools that could make the jump.

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

I don't understand sometimes how grown-ups can't read. I'm not sure how to respond to your comment. I don't think those 3 conferences want a D2 team just as I don't want to join the ASUN. Give it 20 years and maybe West Florida is in the SEC, you don't know. Texas A&M is in the SEC, you wouldn't have known that 20 years ago. Things happen man. You aren't being a rational observer and we really need you to be a rational observer. A lot depends on you being able to do that and a lot of people are counting on you.
                            Your post implied that UWF should stay in the GSC until either the SEC, ACC, or Big 12 invites them to join.

UWF's entry into football has been an amazing success story, but thinking it is a clear pathway for an invitation from a Power-5 conference is beyond even message board fantasy.

Comment

The GSC has been so unstable in recent years that perhaps VSU, UWG, and UWF should consider it, but it's a huge move financially. I don't know what the politics are for UWF, but last year there were rumblings that the USG may close some campuses altogether due to the economic fallout from COVID. After all, if students are forced into online classes, why do you need a bunch of institutions offering them when they could be consolidated? VSU and UWG would probably be spared in such a move, but it would make adding sports politically difficult.

On the athletics front, having UWG, VSU, Mercer, Samford, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State all at the same scheduling level would be fun. Road trips to Chattanooga and Charleston probably offer more options than a road trip to Livingston.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X