Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    Guessing this is where the West Florida, West Georgia and Valdosta State rumors started.

The ASUN's ambitious expansion plan, explained:
    Yeah, that's all from January of last year. None of that applies any longer. As for adding sports, UNA added Beach Volleyball and Women's Golf (as someone mentioned would be easy to add for VSU, etc.) and that instantly solved the minimum sports issue. The bigger obstacle for some schools when considering reclassifying to D1 is the fee.

The ASUN has just recently announced that former GSC teams Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas will be joining the ASUN along with Eastern Kentucky with the main goal of forming an FCS football conference with UNA and Kennesaw State. A lot of schools have been mentioned, as you can see on those threads, but it's doubtful that a D2 school will be one of them at this time. The conference needs one more FCS team to earn an Automatic Qualification in the FCS Playoffs and a team in transition wouldn't help that goal up front.

One other item of interest for D2 schools looking to reclassify is that a vote will be held soon to reduce the number of years of post-season bans from four to three and would be just in time for UNA to cut a year off this horrible transition process.

Selfishly, I'd love for UWF to join the ASUN so I could go see UNA and other teams come to town for games in all sports.
    Here's a look at a few benefits for Jacksonville State with its move to the ASUN Conference.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

This was a brief update blog I wrote the night before the announcement was made that UCA, JSU, and EKU were joining.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I contacted the athletic department at UWF about the rumors and this is the response I received.

".Our name comes up in connection to the Atlantic Sun Conference on a routine basis. We have had great success at Division II and the Atlantic Sun is a quality Division I conference that has added Football to its sports membership. So, we are often linked in conversations together. However, to answer your question, we are not exploring any moves to Division I at this time. Hope you are well and staying healthy."

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
          I contacted the athletic department at UWF about the rumors and this is the response I received.

".Our name comes up in connection to the Atlantic Sun Conference on a routine basis. We have had great success at Division II and the Atlantic Sun is a quality Division I conference that has added Football to its sports membership. So, we are often linked in conversations together. However, to answer your question, we are not exploring any moves to Division I at this time. Hope you are well and staying healthy."

Great work. Very informative!
          * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
          * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
          * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
            A very low probability. Valdosta State and West Georgia do not meet the D1 sports requirement of 7/7 or 6m/8w. VSU has 6/6 and UWG has 5m/9w. So until VSU adds 2 sports and UWG adds a men's sport, neither are going to D1.Those two would also have to deal with the USG. I haven't heard much interest in D1 from West Florida since they got football started.

The impression I get when people mention D2 schools for D1 expansion is they are only repeating what someone else said or are just looking at a map. They ignore or don't know that the school does not actually meet basic D1 requirements and/or if the school has any interest in D1.
            How does small DSU offer more sports than both VSU and UWG?

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

How does small DSU offer more sports than both VSU and UWG?
              Actually, you don't. In total sports count, DSU has 1 more sport than VSU and 1 less sport than UWG. Delta State has 7m/6w so you wouldn't be eligible for D1 either until a women's sport is added. Why is there no Fighting Okra Women's Volleyball?

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Actually, you don't. In total sports count, DSU has 1 more sport than VSU and 1 less sport than UWG. Delta State has 7m/6w so you wouldn't be eligible for D1 either until a women's sport is added. Why is there no Fighting Okra Women's Volleyball?
                I just counted on the website and it says we have 8m/7w, but our cheerleading squad hasn't gone to the national competition in a while, so that may not count. Volleyball is still a fairly young sport in Mississippi. We as a state are holding on to girls slow pitch softball with a death grip. Some schools are transitioning from slow pitch to volleyball, slowly. So my assumption is with a lack of history and a small recruiting base, it wouldn't be very successful. We have a successful men's golf team, I think we'd do better to add lady's golf, but again, recruiting would have to happen outside of Mississippi. But at least we have swimming and diving!

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

I just counted on the website and it says we have 8m/7w, but our cheerleading squad hasn't gone to the national competition in a while, so that may not count. Volleyball is still a fairly young sport in Mississippi. We as a state are holding on to girls slow pitch softball with a death grip. Some schools are transitioning from slow pitch to volleyball, slowly. So my assumption is with a lack of history and a small recruiting base, it wouldn't be very successful. We have a successful men's golf team, I think we'd do better to add lady's golf, but again, recruiting would have to happen outside of Mississippi. But at least we have swimming and diving!
                  Yes, cheerleading is a sport but as far as the NCAA is concerned it might as well be a club. The NCAA only counts sports in which they sponsor a championship with the designated emerging sports counted separately. Emerging sports can be used for T9 purposes but not towards minimum sports sponsorship because if that sport fails to reach championship status some schools might become non-compliant of that rule. Equestrian was nearly dropped 3-4 years ago and is still just hanging on.

That's surprising about the state of those sports in Mississippi. I did live in Greenville for a couple years in the mid-70s but was too young (about 10) to really learn about the state. Maybe I should talk to some family members who have lived in a few towns around the state for over the last 50+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Your post implied that UWF should stay in the GSC until either the SEC, ACC, or Big 12 invites them to join.

UWF's entry into football has been an amazing success story, but thinking it is a clear pathway for an invitation from a Power-5 conference is beyond even message board fantasy.
                    I was just implying that as a joke. I just was meaning until that day comes 20 years from now (or doesn't come) I like where we are at over jumping to a conference like the ASUN. I'm not predicting an invite just to be clear, I just am very content and happy right now with us playing in the SEC of D2 and would like to just stay there for quite a while.
                    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

The ASUN will be the SEC of FCS. Great press conference this morning with presidents, ADs, and football coaches of UCA, EKU, JSU, UNA, and KSU all in Atlanta today for the event. Exciting!!

The main announcement was that UNA and KSU will continue in the Big South this fall while the other three will join the four teams moving from the Southland to the WAC to form a partnership league for one season. The winner with get an AQ into the playoffs. All ASUN team will play a conference schedule in 2022.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

An update from the ASUN:

The new league setup features two six-team divisions. JSU will side with North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, Lipscomb and Bellarmine. The eastern division will feature Kennesaw State, Liberty, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast.

And from the rumors online: UT-Chattanooga was being recruited hard but has decided against a move to the conference. It is possible/probable/rumored by the interwebz that Austin Peay and West Florida will be invited to join after next season.
                        JACKSONVILLE � Jacksonville State University athletics are officially back home as members of the ASUN Conference with July 1 marking the start of the 2021-22 academic and athletic year for
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

More rumors from the ASUN.

Last edited by UNALions; 09-17-2021, 09:43 AM.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

From Matt Brown's newsletter:

I asked around, and can confirm that the ASUN has engaged in vetting with Queens University (a non-FB playing D-II school in Charlotte) and Valdosta State. I was also told that another school on the ASUN radar is West Florida, a D-II conference-mate of Valdosta State and West Georgia. Before COVID, the ASUN had conversations with some of these programs and initially planned on looking at D-II schools to reach their original goal of a 20-team league, but COVID and budget crunches changed those plans in the short term.

There's no immediate timetable for adding any D-II callups, and ASUN administrators will want to monitor the realignment landscape, to see if other potential FCS options present themselves.

Here's what I know about realignment moves impacting the WAC, ASUN, OVC and more:
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

This is all a waste of time. There is going to be massive realignment.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X