Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember where I read it or I would provide a link but there was an article recently talking about how the Texas/Oklahoma moves would create super conferences and start a domino effect that would have the Group of 5 create a separate championship which would bring in the top FCS programs which would lead to D2s leaving for FCS, etc, etc.

I, for one, am happy in D2 but not because of football but the other sports like baseball, softball and basketball. In D2 I know there is a chance(a slim one) but a chance to compete for a regional or national championship. I don't think that possibility exists for most FCS football schools. I dont see the Jax States knocking off Duke to win the regional in basketball or baseball or any other sport for that matter. I also know that doesn't matter to most but it is why I love to follow all UWA sports not just football because "you're saying there is a chance".

Comment

It's official. The ASUN unanimously vote to accept APSU into the conference. They will re-join former OVC foes Jacksonville State and Eastern Kentucky.
      Austin Peay State University is joining the exodus, leaving the Ohio Valley Conference for the ASUN Conference.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
        I can't remember where I read it or I would provide a link but there was an article recently talking about how the Texas/Oklahoma moves would create super conferences and start a domino effect that would have the Group of 5 create a separate championship which would bring in the top FCS programs which would lead to D2s leaving for FCS, etc, etc.

I, for one, am happy in D2 but not because of football but the other sports like baseball, softball and basketball. In D2 I know there is a chance(a slim one) but a chance to compete for a regional or national championship. I don't think that possibility exists for most FCS football schools. I dont see the Jax States knocking off Duke to win the regional in basketball or baseball or any other sport for that matter. I also know that doesn't matter to most but it is why I love to follow all UWA sports not just football because "you're saying there is a chance".
        I get what youre saying. Looking outside football its still the bigger "P5" schools winning in basketball and baseball. With a few exceptions like Gonzaga, Butler, VMU for basketball and CS Fullerton or Coastal in baseball. But I like having the opportunity to make March Madness or go to Omaha. FL Gulf Coast went to the Sweet 16 in 2013 and Mercer beat Duke in 2014. I know these are rare but its fun having that opportunity to be on a big stage. And those situations bring a lot of attention to the schools.

Comment

We looked at this hard when Will Hall was HC. It's all about the money. From an Athletics Dept and other perspectives we are not there yet, but I expect that to change over the next several years under President Kelly and AD Carmichael. They will work to get us in position with the NCAA and USG. Major changes are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf King View Post
            We looked at this hard when Will Hall was HC. It's all about the money. From an Athletics Dept and other perspectives we are not there yet, but I expect that to change over the next several years under President Kelly and AD Carmichael. They will work to get us in position with the NCAA and USG. Major changes are coming.
            I love the work AD Carmichael is doing. You can see the effort that he is putting into the program that we haven't had in the past. He will do big things.

Comment

So let's say theoretically Valdosta, UWG leave for ASun. What on earth would the other GSC schools do? I know they had 5 or 6 schools total for a bit when the Arkansas schools left, but obviously that's not optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                The ASUN will be the SEC of FCS. Great press conference this morning with presidents, ADs, and football coaches of UCA, EKU, JSU, UNA, and KSU all in Atlanta today for the event. Exciting!!

The main announcement was that UNA and KSU will continue in the Big South this fall while the other three will join the four teams moving from the Southland to the WAC to form a partnership league for one season. The winner with get an AQ into the playoffs. All ASUN team will play a conference schedule in 2022.
                The Missouri Valley Conference is the SEC of FCS now and in the future. I'll take North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, South Dakota, Illinois State and North Dakota over what the ASUN will have.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

The Missouri Valley Conference is the SEC of FCS now and in the future. I'll take North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, South Dakota, Illinois State and North Dakota over what the ASUN will have.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

MVC has 5 in the Top 18 this week (3 of the top 8) including usual also rans Southern Illinois and Missouri State. Matching the Mo Valley's depth on an annual basis will be tough and it's been that way since the Dakota schools moved up. Currently 10 straight national title game appearances for the league (NDSU, SDSU, ISU, YSU). ASUN will be a good but small league.

Comment

You forgot to thank Georgia Southern and Appalachian state for moving to FBS and allowing a conference other than the SoCon to have some glory for a while.

Comment

ASUN will be a good but small league.
                        If size matters, I guess the Big Sky is the best in FCS.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Last edited by Argonut; 09-24-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Here's some press about Commerce and their likely move. I'm not seeing any mentions of UWF as part of this, though.
                            A couple of news sources are reporting that the Texas A&M University-Commerce Lions will be leaving the Lone Star Conference in athletics to join the Southland Conference.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Where in the world did you get 15K stadium? Are you kidding me? Look around at FCS stadiums and see how many have stadiums that hold 15K. ACU new stadium holds 12K. Houston Baptist might hold 5K

Comment

Jax State headed to FBS and joining CUSA. That puts the ASUN back to 5 football schools.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/11/ja...rence-usa.html

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X