Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Florida at McNeese State

Last edited by Argonut; 08-25-2021, 10:37 AM.

Was just looking over the Argo roster and noticed that last years backup QB J.C. Robles is not listed. I see a grad transfer from UT Martin, 2 Redshirt Freshman and 2 Freshman behind Reed. Does anyone have any info on who will be the new backup qb?

Comment

We are still rebuilding. The game is at noon because the light standards are not up. The light standards are up yet beause two of the lights were on top of the pressbox. The present pressbox is condemned and not usable. It will be torn down after the season and a new improved pressbox will be built. Then the lights will go back up. They are supposed to go with LED lighting when they go back up. The football field which is below ground level (thus the nickname for the stadium is "The Hole" had about two feet of on the field. The turf was replaced before the 2021 spring season was played.

The basketball building which it now called the Legacy Center due to a $2.5 million dollar naming rights deal, won't be back together until mid January. The building was only two years old and was heavily damaged by the two hurricanes only 6 weeks apart. With the roof damage, there was 6 inches of water on the basketball court.

There is still damage to all of the other athletic facilities and other buildings on campus. Our new more aggressive administration is taking this opportunity to rebuild back by making things even better. When you get lemons, you need to make lemonade. :)

Plus, I tell people that I refuse to participate in hurricane season this year. :)

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post

We are still rebuilding. The game is at noon because the light standards are not up. The light standards are up yet beause two of the lights were on top of the pressbox. The present pressbox is condemned and not usable. It will be torn down after the season and a new improved pressbox will be built. Then the lights will go back up. They are supposed to go with LED lighting when they go back up. The football field which is below ground level (thus the nickname for the stadium is "The Hole" had about two feet of on the field. The turf was replaced before the 2021 spring season was played.

The basketball building which it now called the Legacy Center due to a $2.5 million dollar naming rights deal, won't be back together until mid January. The building was only two years old and was heavily damaged by the two hurricanes only 6 weeks apart. With the roof damage, there was 6 inches of water on the basketball court.

There is still damage to all of the other athletic facilities and other buildings on campus. Our new more aggressive administration is taking this opportunity to rebuild back by making things even better. When you get lemons, you need to make lemonade. :)

Plus, I tell people that I refuse to participate in hurricane season this year. :)

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
          Was just looking over the Argo roster and noticed that last years backup QB J.C. Robles is not listed. I see a grad transfer from UT Martin, 2 Redshirt Freshman and 2 Freshman behind Reed. Does anyone have any info on who will be the new backup qb?
          Fall fan scrimmage is tomorrow night at 7 pm at Pen Air field, so we might find out about the backup QB tomorrow.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea that McNeese had sustained that much damage from the storms. I was a student at UWF in 95 when Erin and Opal hit Pensacola about a month apart. It was a mess, while we didn't have a football stadium , I believe the Field House (gym) and other athletic facilities took significant damage. Hopefully we will all avoid that this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Fall fan scrimmage is tomorrow night at 7 pm at Pen Air field, so we might find out about the backup QB tomorrow.
              Cool, do you happen to know if they are going to stream it on youtube or something?

Comment

Some of the good transfers we have gotten since the spring season are fitting in well. We definitely needed the help on the offensive line. We got better with each game in the spring season but look to be even better this fall season.

Doc

Comment

I attended the fan fall scrimmage tonight and the alumni reps and the team photographer didn't know anything about the game being cancelled due to the hurricane. The storm model tracks have shifted more east and may spare Lake Charles, but if it closes down I-10 in southeast LA it may not matter if Lake Charles is dry and undamaged, I guess no decision will be made until after the hurricane hits Sunday or Monday and the damage is assessed.

There was a good crowd and a temporary chain link fence has been erected all around the field for the first home game on campus after the road game at McNeese State. There is a tall scaffolding on the visitor side that I assume will be the press box for the home game and the alumni rep said there will be temporary grandstand metal bleachers on the home side for the season ticket holders, but that was not present tonight.

As for the Argo scrimmage I stayed for 2 hours until heavy rains ran off the crowd and me at the end. The scrimmage roster program didn't match many of the numbers of the players so this is my best guess about who was who. The teams played clean with very few penalties called by the refs and there was no hitting the QBs and short whistles on the punt and kick returns when someone broke free for a long gainer which happened quite a bit. I don't know if that was good play on the returners or bad play by the cover team and the coaches ran the returns again some of the time after a big gainer. I didn't see a field goal attempted and the kickers just punted, kicked off and kicked extra points.

QB Reed looked good and threw 3 deep TDs to WR Durden, who looks to be his favorite go to and is the fastest player on the team per the players. The starting WR rotation looks to be Durden, Coates, Ashley and Channell. All of the 3 QB who played threw short, middle and deep to the WR and a lot to the RB on designed quick throws to them in space. Reed even threw a deep ball to the TE Jackson up the middle, which is something we didn't see at all last year. As for the other QB they were mis-numbered on the program and my best guess is that Nezat ran the second team offense against the first team defense and Wilsher ran the first team offense against the second team defense when Reed was not on the field. Nezat had constant bad snaps to deal with and the first team defense had their way with the second team offense. Wilsher looked good and a clone of Reed running the first team offense on a long scoring drive that ended with a 10 yard TD run by RB Mason. All of the offensive plays were of the vanilla Argo variety with no trick plays or reverses. The only unusual thing I noticed with the offense was the emphasis on the quick throws to the scatback RB in space and the one deep ball to the TE who caught a high one in traffic with 2 DBs hanging all over him. The whole team cheered the TE on that catch.

The first team returning RB (Johnson, Mason and Newton) were correctly numbered, looked good and had space to run up the middle. The other 3-4 RB were mis-numbered so it was hard to know who was who, but some of those RB made plays too. Both the first and second team DB's made picks with a pick 6 among the plays. Both the first and second team LB and DL made run stuffing plays and harassed all of the QB- forcing them out of the pocket and throwing the ball away or making bad throws. Reed and Wilsher were better able to find an outlet receiver when a play broke down. The starting OL was mis-numbered, so I don't know who was who other than returning starter Dilla. The second team OL struggled against the first team defense on the run and in protecting the QB.

The punter was the Australian Dawson and the placekickers were rotated among all of the kickers for kickoffs and extra points and didn't miss any. It looks like Ashley and Channell are the starting punt returners and Durden is the starting deep kickoff returner. Bottom line is the starting offense and defense had their way with the second teams and looked good with few mistakes. A lot of new players on both sides of the ball made big plays too, but due to the mis-numbering I'm not sure who they were other than they were not starters on the 2019 team. The team looked good, had a lot of energy on all of the teams and everyone seemed to play with a lot of confidence and no finger pointing at each other about missed plays or mistakes. Durden looks very dangerous as a very fast receiver with very good hands and he is also a tough physical runner after the catch. I look forward to watching him play this year.

Comment

Glad to here the team looked pretty good. I watched a lot of Wilsher's high school highlights when he signed and he looked very impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the back up. Will have to wait and see what the storm does, current track has it making landfall near Houma just west of New Orleans but it's really too early to tell.

Comment

The hurricane looks like it will miss Lake Charles and assuming the roads and power allow the game to be played this is my guesstimate of the outcome on Sept. 4.

HOME FIELD- Argos

Computer matchup simulations project McNeese a one point favorite (25-24) instead of the usual 3-6 points for the home team. I don't know if the simulation takes the Argo road warrior expertise into account, but it certainly doesn't take into account the distraction of the hurricane to the Louisiana players on the McNeese roster. Edge to Argos.

ROSTER- Argos

Both teams are similar in makeup with Argos having slight edge (+10) in upperclassmen and D1 transfers (+5). McNeese lost a lot of players after the previous years' hurricanes due to the destruction of housing and have had to rebuild their roster with freshmen and transfers. Argos have had a stable roster from 2019 title team that they just reloaded for 2021. Slight edge to Argos and roster makeup below:

McNeese (Total 110) / West Florida (Total 120)

Sr. 22 / 27
                      Jr. 19 / 24
                      So. 25 / 24
                      Fr. 44 / 45

COACH- Argos

McNeese coach Wilson was long time SEC assistant RB coach after coaching in high school and this is his second D1 HC job. He is known as a good RB coach and recruiter in the LA area and won national asst. coach awards. He took USTA to two bowl games before taking the McNeese job and this is his first season at McNeese. Coach Shinnick has started two programs from scratch and taken both to the playoffs and one to the national title. Edge to Argos for championship HC experience.

QB- Argos

Both QBs for McNeese and Argos have extensive game experience with Orgeron running more than Reed and throwing the ball to the RB and TE as much as the WR. Reed doesn't run much, throws for more yards and to the WR 15X more than the RB and TE. When the pocket breaks down Orgeron runs and has tendency to fumble in critical points in game. On the other hand, Reed looks to throw rather than run and his tendency is to make clutch throws at critical points in the game. Reed is also bigger with bigger arm and all this gives edge to Argos at QB.

RB- McNeese

McNeese runs more and throws more to their RB than the Argos and both use RB by committee approach. Coach Wilson was a RB in college and has spent most of his coaching career as RB coach. Argos threw to RB more than usual in fall scrimmage, but McNeese has substantial edge until the Argos actually use the RB more in a actual game.

WR/TE- Argos

McNeese throws to TE more than Argos, but Argos throw substantially more and to more WR than McNeese. Argos also score more with WR than McNeese and clear edge to Argos.

OL- McNeese

Both teams have big and deep OL roster and both return 3 OL starters and are looking to fill in 3 more starters for 2021. Both units protect the QB about the same in terms of sacks and edge to McNeese since they run more than the Argos.

Kicking- Argos

The 2019 kicking stats are similar, but McNeese had problems in the spring 2021 making extra points and short field goals that cost them games. Argos replace 2019 starters with all conference D1 and D2 transfers so slight edge to them.

Returns- Even

The stats for both team are fairly equal and no clear advantage to either team.

DL- Argos

Argo DL roster is much bigger (290 avg. vs. 260 avg.) and deeper with more game experience. The returning 2021 spring starters for McNeese averaged less than 260 and were run on by opposing teams for 184 yds./game. Argo OL averages over 300 lbs. and it will be interesting to see if they exploit this advantage by running more than usual. Advantage to Argos.

LB- Argos

Argos LB roster has double the depth, 9X more upperclassmen and 5X more D1 transfers than McNeese LB. McNeese has one upperclassman and a small roster of 9 more freshman and sophomores. Substantial advantage to Argos and its no wonder that the Cowboys were run on for 184 yds./game in the spring with their undersized DL and inexperienced LB.

DB- Even

McNeese is deep with DB like the Argos with similar numbers of upperclassmen and a few more freshmen than the Argos. McNeese has more D1 transfers, but gave up more passing yards (256 v. 188) and TDs than the Argos DBs.

TO/Sacks- Argos

Both teams blitz and make lots of sacks, but the Argos force and recover more fumbles. Cowboys showed a tendency to fumble the ball away at critical points of games. Edge to Argos.

Conclusion-

If there ever were a time and circumstance for the Argos to steal a game from a D1 school it would be this game for a variety of reasons besides the ones listed above. The Argos are coming off a national title with an intact and reloaded team that is going against a team that had to be rebuilt with freshmen and transfers due to players leaving after last year's hurricanes in Lake Charles destroyed housing and facilities at McNeese. Both teams play a similar style on both sides of the ball so there is not as much to prepare for and its the first game of the year so more time can be found to prepare than a mid-season game. Argos have a hot QB with a deep experienced corps of WR and they also have a substantial size advantage with their OL vs. the McNeese DL. The Argos also have a knack for playing well on the road and creating turnovers that can turn momentum their way and they have done so in many recent road games. The Louisiana players on McNeese may also be more occupied with thoughts of hurricane damage from Ida and next week's game vs. LSU than playing the Argos on Sept. 4. Taking everything into account you have a perfect storm of circumstances for the Argos to steal a win on the road. Argos by 5.

Comment

Durden is going to be a problem for secondary's this season. Dude is Blazing! We need another WR to emerge and be another Tate as a safety blanket for Reed. Defense should be a a little better than the 2019 team with the LB transfers.

Comment

Is it looking like the game will still be a go on Saturday? Didn't know if anyone had heard anything due to the hurricane.
                          * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                          * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

* 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                            * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                            * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Is this game still being played?

Comment