Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train wreck inevitable

The GSC top five teams all look impressive, they're all undefeated and beginning this coming week the annual carnage will begin.

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
    The GSC top five teams all look impressive, they're all undefeated and beginning this coming week the annual carnage will begin.
    There will be carnage indeed. I mentioned in another thread... The top two teams are UWF and VSU. If the GSC gets a third team into the playoffs, it is going to be an absolute fight for that extra spot. UWA, UWF, NGU, DSU.

I don't like that DSU has to travel to UWG twice. I like that Cooley is willing to play a tough team, but I wish it was a home and away deal.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

There will be carnage indeed. I mentioned in another thread... The top two teams are UWF and VSU. If the GSC gets a third team into the playoffs, it is going to be an absolute fight for that extra spot. UWA, UWF, NGU, DSU.

I don't like that DSU has to travel to UWG twice. I like that Cooley is willing to play a tough team, but I wish it was a home and away deal.
      We were against the ropes with scheduling. I think he took what he could get.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I'm honestly not sure about those two top spots, I could see UWG winning at UWF or VSU. If they win both, I see them losing the rematch in the playoffs though. If any team gets through the gauntlet undefeated, they'd have to be a number 1 seed and probably NC, but I expect the conference champion will have a minimum of 1 loss.

I expect that 2 of the 3 lesser teams (DSU, UWA and NGU) will upset at least one of the top 3, actually they all could get a marquee win.

Not wishing harm on them, but if the schedule is right, UWF isn't taking a week off. Probability of injury to 1 or 2 key players will cost them.

I am a bit more worried about UWG because Coach dean's teams tend to play better when they're underestimated. I expect UWG to be conference champs.

VSU could get the QB play necessary to become a dominating team and run the table but with so many good teams, it's likely that VSU will need a win against UWF in the final game to be guaranteed a playoff spot. We'll then ride the momentum from that win to another NC.

I'm putting all of this down because it'll be fun to look back and see how my prognostications match the eventuality.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure about those two top spots, I could see UWG winning at UWF or VSU. If they win both, I see them losing the rematch in the playoffs though. If any team gets through the gauntlet undefeated, they'd have to be a number 1 seed and probably NC, but I expect the conference champion will have a minimum of 1 loss.

I expect that 2 of the 3 lesser teams (DSU, UWA and NGU) will upset at least one of the top 3, actually they all could get a marquee win.

Not wishing harm on them, but if the schedule is right, UWF isn't taking a week off. Probability of injury to 1 or 2 key players will cost them.

I am a bit more worried about UWG because Coach dean's teams tend to play better when they're underestimated. I expect UWG to be conference champs.

VSU could get the QB play necessary to become a dominating team and run the table but with so many good teams, it's likely that VSU will need a win against UWF in the final game to be guaranteed a playoff spot. We'll then ride the momentum from that win to another NC.

I'm putting all of this down because it'll be fun to look back and see how my prognostications match the eventuality.

Comment

Comment

Ivory is improving and I believe he could get to that level but it will take work on his part. UWF might be as advertised but something Shinnik said concerns me. It gave me the impression that because of his team's early success he believes winning at this level is easy. That overconfidence (in my estimation) could lead to lackadaisical preparation.

Or it may indeed be that UWF is as advertised and the rest of us have no hope :-)

The old way was that coaches would down play their team's abilities pointing out their underachievement. Maybe Shinnick is dialed into these millennials' psyche and understands that if you tell a guy he's all world, he will more likely play all world. I certainly can't ignore his success, no doubt he is a really good coach.
              Last edited by boyblue; 09-13-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Ivory is improving and I believe he could get to that level but it will take work on his part. UWF might be as advertised but something Shinnik said concerns me. It gave me the impression that because of his team's early success he believes winning at this level is easy. That overconfidence (in my estimation) could lead to lackadaisical preparation.

Or it may indeed be that UWF is as advertised and the rest of us have no hope :-)

The old way was that coaches would down play their team's abilities pointing out their underachievement. Maybe Shinnick is dialed into these millennials' psyche and understands that if you tell a guy he's all world, he will more likely play all world. I certainly can't ignore his success, no doubt he is a really good coach.

Comment

. It gave me the impression tThat overconfidence (in my estimation) could lead to lackadaisical preparation.

<>

Comment

Originally posted by debergfan

Shouldn't you be more pissed about the Jackson St game?
                    Why would I be upset about that?
                    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

You're right it wasn't an overt statement, but I'll try to find the statement that gave me that impression.

Found it!

And of course it's not as bad as I took it, commenting on their performance against McNeese State, He said "We felt we could play against any team in the country". Y'all already know how I took it.

Last edited by boyblue; 09-14-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

If you haven't watched the GSC media day interviews you should, it was really well done. The one thing that every coach said was that their 2021 team was deeper and more talented than the 2019 version. If that's not just coach-speak then we are in for one hell of a competitive and entertaining season.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
                          If you haven't watched the GSC media day interviews you should, it was really well done. The one thing that every coach said was that their 2021 team was deeper and more talented than the 2019 version. If that's not just coach-speak then we are in for one hell of a competitive and entertaining season.
                          Nah, I believe it. With the extra year, the average team age has gone up 25% so I expect play to improve if only for this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X