Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperation Scheduling Much?

So, West Alabama is hosting "North American University" out of Houston Thursday night, while Mississippi College is hosting the "University of Fort Lauderdale" on Saturday.

I get that it's hard to get non-conference games for GSC teams, but really? Are GSC teams that desperate to fill out their schedules that they'll play teams which are likely a notch or two below NAIA teams?
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    So, West Alabama is hosting "North American University" out of Houston Thursday night, while Mississippi College is hosting the "University of Fort Lauderdale" on Saturday.

I get that it's hard to get non-conference games for GSC teams, but really? Are GSC teams that desperate to fill out their schedules that they'll play teams which are likely a notch or two below NAIA teams?
    I would say they are. Delta State is traveling to West Georgia twice this season in order to have enough D2 games to remain eligible for the playoffs. Conferences that only play against their conference all season long aren't helping.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

West Florida plays Fort Lauderdale at home next week and without that game we would only have 4 home games. Hell considering what Jacksonville State did in Tallahassee, there's always a chance.

Comment

I wish that it weren't true that GSC teams were desperate. Fla Tech dropping out left some big holes to fill on schedules with little time to do so and few choices. I wish the NCAA would require in region, OOC games to qualify for playoffs, might help the scheduling problem.

OR

Now that Florida State has lost to an FCS school maybe they should try a D2 school with ties to Mickey Andrews...

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

I wish that it weren't true that GSC teams were desperate. Fla Tech dropping out left some big holes to fill on schedules with little time to do so and few choices. I wish the NCAA would require in region, OOC games to qualify for playoffs, might help the scheduling problem.

OR

Now that Florida State has lost to an FCS school maybe they should try a D2 school with ties to Mickey Andrews...
          UWA beat FSU, back in 1949, so maybe we could do it again as bad as their playing. Coach Bowden is prob spinning in his grave right now.

Comment

If GSC wanted to backfill the spot left open by FIT, who would be candidates? Are there any D2 schools that dont have football that may be looking to add it? First to come to mind for me is Columbus State. I have no idea if they want to but would be a natural rival for UWG.

Comment

OR

I keep forgetting that Florida Tech dropped football... I can't imagine how much worse it could get if Conference Carolinas decides to start a football league and plucks North Greenville out of the SAC.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

One of the current non-football members would be ideal as in Montevallo(no chance), Lee(talked about it but decided against) or Union(believe they had it and dropped it, could be wrong).

Comment

One of the current non-football members would be ideal as in Montevallo(no chance), Lee(talked about it but decided against) or Union(believe they had it and dropped it, could be wrong).
                  A close friend of mine was a GA at Lee when they had the discussions. The answer of why no to football was "the culture that it would bring is not something we want on our campus".

can someone say cringe?

Comment

Its not just a GSC problem unfortunately. Back in 2019, C-N was supposed to have Virginia Union complete the 2nd half of a home and home and they backed out from what I was told. C-N had at least 4 or 5 different schools with game contracts in hand back out at the last minute. Thats why they ended up just taking a bye week after playing the Argos.

And scheduling for GSC teams is going to get even harder come nexr year and then especially 2024. Barton and Erskine are joining the SAC as affiliate football members and the SAC is going to divisions and a championship game. When Anderson joins, if the other two stay, the SAC will be at 13 and looking for a 14th football school from what I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                      Its not just a GSC problem unfortunately. Back in 2019, C-N was supposed to have Virginia Union complete the 2nd half of a home and home and they backed out from what I was told. C-N had at least 4 or 5 different schools with game contracts in hand back out at the last minute. Thats why they ended up just taking a bye week after playing the Argos.

And scheduling for GSC teams is going to get even harder come nexr year and then especially 2024. Barton and Erskine are joining the SAC as affiliate football members and the SAC is going to divisions and a championship game. When Anderson joins, if the other two stay, the SAC will be at 13 and looking for a 14th football school from what I have been told.

That is why I think there should be a GSC and Conference Carolinas football merger. NGU is already a football member of the GSC with all other sports in CC. Erskine, Barton, Chowan, and UNCP are all CC members that have football (either playing in or will be playing in a conference: EC/BC in the SAC as affiliates, Chowan in the CIAA, and UNCP in the MEC). This would put the GSC football conference at 12. No more D2 or regional scheduling issues.

The GSC could also look to some of the NAIA programs in the SE to gauge interest in moving to D2, but I think a GSC/CC football merger makes the most sense.

Comment

This is tough because we have three CIAA schools with open dates this week that would have made for better matchups. I'm sure Virginia State would have jumped at the opportunity after Tuskegee screwed them out of their game.

Comment

Yes, absolutely. It's one of the reasons UNA left.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Naw, you were just afraid of VSU. ; ^ )
                            <>

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Speaking of the snoils, how is everyone at UNA liking FCS?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X