Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff positioning weekend

We have had a taste of conference play among all the teams, but the real rubber hits the road this weekend with West Georgia traveling to West Florida for the first game at Blue Wahoo this season and big brother Valdosta State traveling to West Alabama in a matchup of unbeatens.

The visiting team has won every game between West Georgia and West Florida and the Argos look to break that unusual streak.

West Alabama has only beaten Valdosta 5 times in the last few decades and they put their best start ever on the line Saturday against a Blazer team that looked on fire last week.

I have gone with the favorites, but would not be surprised at all if there were a different result in either game. This is the first big weekend with the top four squaring off against each other and playoff seedings will certainly be on the minds of everyone playing and watching.

The weather forecast looks good 6 days out with no rain expected at either game.

A look at the remaining round robin schedule between the four teams shows West Alabama with the most favorable schedule.

West Alabama (GSC 4-2)

16: Lose to Valdosta at home
    23: Lose to Delta at home
    30: Beat North Greenville on road
    6: West Florida at home
    13: Mississippi College at home (NC)
    Already won on road over West Georgia.

West Georgia (GSC: 5-2)

16: Beat West Florida on road
    30: Lose to Valdosta on road
    13: Delta State at home (NC)
    Already lost to West Ala., beat Delta in conference and play Delta again last game in non conference.

Valdosta State (GSC: 5-0)

16: Beat West Ala. on road
    30: Beat West Ga. at home
    6: North Greenville at home
    13: West Fla. on road
    Already beat Delta at home.

West Florida (GSC: 4-1)

16: Lose to West Ga. at homecoming
    30: Beat Mississippi College on road
    6: West Ala. on road
    13: Valdosta at home
    Already beat Delta on road.

After 10-30 games the GSC title narrows down to the season finale at West Florida between the Argos and the visiting Blazers assuming both win their games on 11-6. Blazers can clinch on 11-6 with win against North Greenville and an Argo loss to West Ala.

If Valdosta loses final two games and West Ala. beats West Florida then you have a four way tie with all four at 5-2 and West Ala. playing Mississippi College and West Georgia playing Delta in non conference final games of regular season. The playoffs would determine bragging rights to title in that unlikely event.
    Last edited by Argonut; 10-31-2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

The mental game will be just as challenging as physical. Do you know your assignments? Do you know where you are suppose to be on the field?
      And then, don't let the outside distractions turn your head. Mentally, from here on out, every week will be a challenge.

#BlazerNation

Comment

I'd say expect one upset every week. the team that can get through unscathed should get a 1 seed and home games throughout the playoffs but that tends to be a trap. I'd be happy with a single loss as long as it's not to you know who :)

Comment

The rest of the season should be a lot of fun.
          Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

After another surprise upset, DSU 35 UWA 30 the playoff picture got a little more interesting. This weekends games get started with West Alabama @ North Greenville at 11CT, that is followed by Shorter @ Delta State at 3CT, West Florida @ Mississippi College at 6CT and then the GSC game of the Week West Georgia travels to "Title Town" to face off against the Blazers. Should be one heck of a game. If the favorites all win then VSU will have positioned itself as the frontrunner for the GSC championship and a #1 seed in the playoffs. On the other hand if there are upsets then the playoff picture could get even more difficult to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
              After another surprise upset, DSU 35 UWA 30 the playoff picture got a little more interesting. This weekends games get started with West Alabama @ North Greenville at 11CT, that is followed by Shorter @ Delta State at 3CT, West Florida @ Mississippi College at 6CT and then the GSC game of the Week West Georgia travels to "Title Town" to face off against the Blazers. Should be one heck of a game. If the favorites all win then VSU will have positioned itself as the frontrunner for the GSC championship and a #1 seed in the playoffs. On the other hand if there are upsets then the playoff picture could get even more difficult to figure out.
              This week, it's about winning the Peach Basket. For this week, nothing else matters.

Whoever wins, the basket stays at that school for a year!

#BlazerNation

Comment

If UWA can upset UWF, I think a two loss UWA still gets into the playoffs (assuming they beat NG and MC (again)). It will be interesting to see if VSU can run the table, if so, where would a potential 3 loss UWF fit into the mix. This doesn't seem like a year where 4 GSC teams will be able to make it into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplant Tiger View Post
                  If UWA can upset UWF, I think a two loss UWA still gets into the playoffs (assuming they beat NG and MC (again)). It will be interesting to see if VSU can run the table, if so, where would a potential 3 loss UWF fit into the mix. This doesn't seem like a year where 4 GSC teams will be able to make it into the playoffs.
                  I would guess a 3 loss GSC team getting in would depend on what happens in the SAC. I think Bowie State and Albany State are all but guaranteed a playoff spot barring a huge upset and even then if it were Bowie they would still only have 1 D2 loss and would certainly get in over a 3 loss team from either the SAC or the GSC. ASU played 3 GSC schools OOC and only lost to VSU so they too would probably still be in with another loss. If Wingate wins out then I believe the other SAC teams would have at least 3 losses which would probably help the GSC's case in getting a 3 loss team in. If one of the other SAC teams wins out or if they split then who knows what the playoff picture will look like. Once again there is far too much football left to be played to know with any certainty what will happen in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

I would guess a 3 loss GSC team getting in would depend on what happens in the SAC. I think Bowie State and Albany State are all but guaranteed a playoff spot barring a huge upset and even then if it were Bowie they would still only have 1 D2 loss and would certainly get in over a 3 loss team from either the SAC or the GSC. ASU played 3 GSC schools OOC and only lost to VSU so they too would probably still be in with another loss. If Wingate wins out then I believe the other SAC teams would have at least 3 losses which would probably help the GSC's case in getting a 3 loss team in. If one of the other SAC teams wins out or if they split then who knows what the playoff picture will look like. Once again there is far too much football left to be played to know with any certainty what will happen in the coming weeks.
                    From the looks of it, I agree that Bowie and Albany State are virtual locks. Bowie has two cupcakes followed by the CIAA championship. Albany's schedule isn't much tougher. Wingate plays LR this weekend. With a win, they're locked but with a loss, I don't see a 2-loss SAC team getting in, especially because Wingate has a very bad OOC loss. Seeding will also come into play because conference opponents can't match up in the first round. It'll be fun to watch for sure.

Comment

From the looks of it, I agree that Bowie and Albany State are virtual locks. Bowie has two cupcakes followed by the CIAA championship. Albany's schedule isn't much tougher. Wingate plays LR this weekend. With a win, they're locked but with a loss, I don't see a 2-loss SAC team getting in, especially because Wingate has a very bad OOC loss. Seeding will also come into play because conference opponents can't match up in the first round. It'll be fun to watch for sure.
                      I think they try not to match conference foes in the first round but I don't think it's prohibited in any way.

Comment

Wingate would not be a lock with a win this week, with Newberry and Mars Hill left on the schedule.

Comment

This is what each team needs to get into the PO, assuming all 2 loss GSC teams would qualify (the gauntlet games in bold type)

Valdosta State needs to win 1 game, with home games against West Ga. and North Greenville and a road game against West Fla.

West Georgia needs to win 1 game, with a home game against Delta State and a road game against Valdosta St.

West Florida needs to win 2 games, with a home game against Valdosta State and road games against Mississippi College and Delta State

West Alabama needs to win all 3 games, with home games against West Florida and Mississippi College, and a road game against North Greenville

Of course the easiest way to be sure you get a ticket to the dance is to win em all

Comment

If LR and Newberry win out they are in the po in my opinion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X