Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss Florida Tech Football

Am I the only one? I know COVID caused a lot of uncertainty, and I get why they folded. However, I really liked having two teams in Florida and Florida Tech always played DSU hard (as well as UWF obviously). Anyone know if they are going to try to restart? They were doing good things before the end. An overall record of 44-35 over their first 7 seasons isn't bad.

Here's a nice article for anyone wanting to read: https://www.alligator.org/article/20...ll-of-covid-19

Good article- thanks for sharing. Anytime a school has to drop football I am sadder for it. Reminds me that the Jacksonville dolphins dropped football at the FCS level. It would be nice if they restarted it but without a sugar daddy it probably won't happen.

Comment

I seem to remember rumblings from the FIT fans that the President of the University wasn't a fan of having football and that Covid19 gave him the excuse he needed to end the program. That being said those were the opinions of some of the Tech posters on this mb so it's hard to say if there is any truth to it. It seems more likely that the travel costs and the fact that all of their other sports teams compete in the Sunshine State Conference that led to footballs demise.

Comment

They made the GSC stronger and were on their way to being a contender.

Comment

West Florida and Florida Tech played for the "Coastal Classic" trophy in which the Argos held a 3-1 record. The first 3 games were decided by 3 points or less and came down to the last play in regulation. FIT was the first "ranked" team that UWF defeated in their inaugural season of D2 football. It was a great series and it's a shame that they no longer have a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
            I seem to remember rumblings from the FIT fans that the President of the University wasn't a fan of having football and that Covid19 gave him the excuse he needed to end the program. That being said those were the opinions of some of the Tech posters on this mb so it's hard to say if there is any truth to it. It seems more likely that the travel costs and the fact that all of their other sports teams compete in the Sunshine State Conference that led to footballs demise.
            I got that impression as well. When football was dropped, it marked the 3rd straight year of sports being cut.

Comment

They won the women's golf championship after they announced they were dropping women's golf.

Comment

It must have been a different administration that killed the program because who would go through all that's necessary to start a program, have moderate success from early on and then shut down. Funny thing is the program was a net revenue generator, the person responsible had to be really committed; firing a bunch of people and disrupting so many kids' lives.

It would be great to have FIT back, they were competitive and getting better. If not them, we could use another Florida school in DII, it just makes sense. Not every athlete can compete at the DI level, so there should be a few schools in the state that would want to provide these kids with an opportunity and bring enjoyment to their student body.

Comment

Englehart to lead FCS Presbyterian.

https://www.presby.edu/about/2022/01...ootball-coach/
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post
                    Am I the only one? I know COVID caused a lot of uncertainty, and I get why they folded. However, I really liked having two teams in Florida and Florida Tech always played DSU hard (as well as UWF obviously). Anyone know if they are going to try to restart? They were doing good things before the end. An overall record of 44-35 over their first 7 seasons isn't bad.

Here's a nice article for anyone wanting to read: https://www.alligator.org/article/20...ll-of-covid-19
                    Good article. Very sad.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Speaking of FIT I read today that Steve Englehart is now the new HC at Presbyterian.

Good coach that can build a team.

Hope it goes well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X