Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

Maybe wishful thinking on your part but I don't see VSU moving to ASUN or any other conference anytime soon.
    ?I see an announcement coming within the next 24 weeks that Valdosta State last season as a member of the GSC will be 23-24 season.

Herb, will be great leading the school through the transition if he so wants to or if he decides to retire.

All Blazer fans need to get on board with this potential announcement.

The Blazers can be just as good at an higher level, if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post

?I see an announcement coming within the next 24 weeks that Valdosta State last season as a member of the GSC will be 23-24 season.

Herb, will be great leading the school through the transition if he so wants to or if he decides to retire.

It's sure been a good move for UNA. Former multiple D2 NC winner.

Comment

Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post

Comment

Any word on new coaching staff additions? I'm a little concerned about recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

It's sure been a good move for UNA. Former multiple D2 NC winner.
            As bad as I hate to keep on losing to Valdosta on the football field, I hope they stay put in D2 in the GSC. UNA is still quite a way from being competitive in men's sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

As bad as I hate to keep on losing to Valdosta on the football field, I hope they stay put in D2 in the GSC. UNA is still quite a way from being competitive in men's sports.
              "Quite a way from being competitive" is very kind.

I wonder if somewhwere in this "Blazers getting on board" there isn;t a tiny, tiny smidgin of misery loving company.

Comment

Originally posted by crashandannie View Post
                under $3.8 million
                Where is that number coming from? This site says it's over $7 million and actually one of the few school's in the country making money. But, maybe the figures are off for VSU. It does have McNeese State with $11 million. Of course, North Dakota State's is $27.4 million! (Yikes.)

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/

Even this article from back in 2013 says the VSU budget was $3.7 million back then.

https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/s...34fffb3d9.html

Also, it's pretty common to add sports for a transition. UNA added women's golf and beach volleyball. Some schools go the route of adding Track & Field (as the indoor and outdoor squads are considered different teams). Of course, budgeting is an issue but much of it is made up in money-games from FBS or top men's basketball programs.
                Last edited by UNALions; 01-10-2022, 06:48 PM.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

"Quite a way from being competitive" is very kind.

I wonder if somewhwere in this "Blazers getting on board" there isn;t a tiny, tiny smidgin of misery loving company.
                  I dunno. The UNA men's basketball team was one win away from March Madness this past year if they had been eligible. Would have also made the NIT (if not in transition) as the ASUN runner-up. Baseball has beaten ranked Ole Miss, took CWS-bound Auburn to extra innings. Sadly, football is the team most impaired by the chains the NCAA puts on transition teams. Yet, playoff-bound Big South champ Kennesaw State had to score in the last minute to come from behind and beat the Lions in football a couple months back. All of these teams have a ways to go to win consistently but we're just thankful that it's the last year of the four-year transition. There is talk by the NCAA of shortening this period.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I dunno. The UNA men's basketball team was one win away from March Madness this past year if they had been eligible. Would have also made the NIT (if not in transition) as the ASUN runner-up. Baseball has beaten ranked Ole Miss, took CWS-bound Auburn to extra innings. Sadly, football is the team most impaired by the chains the NCAA puts on transition teams. Yet, playoff-bound Big South champ Kennesaw State had to score in the last minute to come from behind and beat the Lions in football a couple months back. All of these teams have a ways to go to win consistently but we're just thankful that it's the last year of the four-year transition. There is talk by the NCAA of shortening this period.
                    I was wondering, totally about football.
                    As someone old as dirt and a GSC(and all it's predecessors) follower, I wish UNA the very best.

Comment

Where is that number coming from? This site says it's over $7 million and actually one of the few school's in the country making money. But, maybe the figures are off for VSU. It does have McNeese State with $11 million. Of course, North Dakota State's is $27.4 million! (Yikes.)

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/

Even this article from back in 2013 says the VSU budget was $3.7 million back then.

https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/s...34fffb3d9.html

Also, it's pretty common to add sports for a transition. UNA added women's golf and beach volleyball. Some schools go the route of adding Track & Field (as the indoor and outdoor squads are considered different teams). Of course, budgeting is an issue but much of it is made up in money-games from FBS or top men's basketball programs.
                      https://www.valdosta.edu/administrat...et-summary.pdf

Comment

Interesting. Not sure what that number indicates really. But according to the national database where schools report to, VSU's athletic expenses were $7,330,472 for the 2019-20 reporting period. They also reported revenue of $7,748,920 for a profit of $418,448.

Via this link, which is what that site I shared used to reference their figures.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Not at all trying to be a jerk. I haven't seen any basketball since they left the GSC. I did catch a baseball game to see a family friend play. Baseball has lost almost 100 games since leaving, with one shortened season. Women's Softball and Basketball haven't been bad at all but UNA always had good women's sports.

The TUNA's that I know hate it but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

Not at all trying to be a jerk. I haven't seen any basketball since they left the GSC. I did catch a baseball game to see a family friend play. Baseball has lost almost 100 games since leaving, with one shortened season. Women's Softball and Basketball haven't been bad at all but UNA always had good women's sports.

The TUNA's that I know hate it but to each his own.
                            And yet baseball still beat ranked Ole Miss and took CWS-bound Auburn to extra innings. Otherwise, baseball has sucked since D2. Keene needs to be fired. Many TUNA's don't like anything that isn't Alabama and Auburn.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Interesting. Not sure what that number indicates really. But according to the national database where schools report to, VSU's athletic expenses were $7,330,472 for the 2019-20 reporting period. They also reported revenue of $7,748,920 for a profit of $418,448.

Via this link, which is what that site I shared used to reference their figures.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

Comment

The figure you quoted from the budget summary is very similar to the number listed as "Non Allocated Expenses" on that site I linked to. So, that could be the updated figure of that type of budget item for the current year.

It certainly takes money to compete in D1 but VSU isn't far off from the McNeese budget, etc.
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X