Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWF Spring Game 2022

I attended the UWF spring game tonight at the on campus Pen Air Field and these are my thoughts and impressions of the game and team. It rained all day in Pensacola, but it did not rain at the game tonight where there was a good crowd of about 2,000 watching in humid temps in the 60's. The band, cheerleaders, food truck and alumni and swag tents were present along with a half dozen low riser bleachers on the home side. There was no score kept and the defense was on one side of the field and the offense on the other with the coaches rotating the 1st through 3rd teams into the game.

The team ran kickoff, punt and FG plays with no tackling of the returners. The kickers kicked competently and there were no blocked kicks.

My general impression of the game is that the defense was way ahead of the offense with the D harassing, sacking, picking and near picking all of the three QBs who played in the game. Both the LB and the DB had multiple picks and the QB were running for their lives for most of the game no matter which defense was on the field. The QB did run a lot of effective designed runs, but I don;t know if that was the result of the D or a new plan for the season. There were a lot of dropped passes by the receivers and the QBs finally started connecting with deep balls and TDs in the red zone by the end of the game. This was not the Austin Reed show we Argo fans are used to seeing.from the Argo offense.

The Argos have four QBs from last year on this year's roster and three played with #12 Wilsher dressed and limping around on the sideline with some kind of injury and did not play. Of the three QBs who played, #11 Wyett Egat (grad transfer from Tenn.-Martin via Calif.) looked the best at moving the offense and throwing the ball. The highlight of the offense was RB Shomari Mason who looked in mid-season form and gashed the D whenever he got the ball handed to him. The grad transfer from Florida State, Sheffield, looked good as the big back running between the tackles. None of the receivers consistently stood out and David Durden did not play. The receivers finally started to hang on to the ball by the end of the game and scored a couple of TDs and caught some deep balls.

Overall, it looks like the Argos will have to rely on their D and running game early in the season against the cupcakes until they find a QB to get the passing game and offense running like we have seen in the past. Delta State comes to Pen Air Field in the 3rd game of the season and the Argos better find their QB by then or it will be a long ugly game against the Delta D.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X