Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf South of Old

Back when I was playing, the Arkansas schools were still in the GSC. Ever since those schools joined the GAC, Ouachita Baptist and Harding have really come on the national scene. Both schools seem to have top 25 teams every year. I know some of the Arkansas schools were competitive while in the GSC, but I don't recall this level of success.

If the Arkansas schools were still in the GSC, would they be having the same success they've enjoyed since joining the GAC?
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

In my opinion no and that was one of the underline reasons they left the GSC.

Comment

Lord no, which is why they left. They may rank in polls but haven't done much in the post-season likely because of their weak conference.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
        Back when I was playing, the Arkansas schools were still in the GSC. Ever since those schools joined the GAC, Ouachita Baptist and Harding have really come on the national scene. Both schools seem to have top 25 teams every year. I know some of the Arkansas schools were competitive while in the GSC, but I don't recall this level of success.

If the Arkansas schools were still in the GSC, would they be having the same success they've enjoyed since joining the GAC?
        The Arkansas teams now have winning records because they don't have to play the UNA, DSU, and VSU anymore. UWA and UWG weren't as good back then. The Big Three all had national championships while the Arky teams were in the conference.

Comment

No. In my opinion they don't deserve to be ranked that high either. Yes they win games (against inferior opponents), but look at their post-season performances. I'm fairly certain that a GAC team has never won more than one game in the playoffs. I might also be a bit bitter about them leaving, for less green pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

No. In my opinion they don't deserve to be ranked that high either. Yes they win games (against inferior opponents), but look at their post-season performances. I'm fairly certain that a GAC team has never won more than one game in the playoffs. I might also be a bit bitter about them leaving, for less green pastures.
            I think Harding made it to the semis last year or year before. I’ve always been impressed with them and their rushing attack and strong defense.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

I think Harding made it to the semis last year or year before. I’ve always been impressed with them and their rushing attack and strong defense.
              Harding made it to the semis in 2017. They beat Indianapolis, Ashland, and Ferris State prior to losing to Texas A&M-Commerce.

There have been a few GAC quarterfinal teams.

Comment

I tend to agree with the thoughts already stated in this thread.
                I do think they would still be competitive in the GSC, but I don't think they'd be winning the GSC or be consistent playoff teams like they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

That option is effective. I’m pretty sure I was there when they beat UNA in Florence the last time they played each other back in the day. It was impressive. But, it’s hard for them to get over the hump in the post season.

Also, giving credit where it’s due, Central Arkansas became very competitive on their way out of the GSC to FCS. UNA is back in the same conference with them in the ASUN.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I tend to agree with the thoughts already stated in this thread.
                    I do think they would still be competitive in the GSC, but I don't think they'd be winning the GSC or be consistent playoff teams like they are now.
                    I agree.
                    Only place they are winning versus GSC is at the gas pump.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

That option is effective. I’m pretty sure I was there when they beat UNA in Florence the last time they played each other back in the day. It was impressive. But, it’s hard for them to get over the hump in the post season.

Also, giving credit where it’s due, Central Arkansas became very competitive on their way out of the GSC to FCS. UNA is back in the same conference with them in the ASUN.
                      From what I've been hearing the ASUN with football is a dumpster fire. Teams are coming and going so fast teams can't make a schedule. The other sports seem to be doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

From what I've been hearing the ASUN with football is a dumpster fire. Teams are coming and going so fast teams can't make a schedule. The other sports seem to be doing fine.
                        Lol. Coming and going? Only Jax State. No issues with scheduling. What you described did actually happen with the Southland conference just before the season though.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I wonder what the Arkansas schools' thoughts are on this. In particular Harding, Henderson, and Ouachita Baptist.

Comment

With Delta State seeming to be a likely playoff team, it's quite possible we could see them matched up with a GAC team in the first round since quite a few SR2 teams are outside 600 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                              With Delta State seeming to be a likely playoff team, it's quite possible we could see them matched up with a GAC team in the first round since quite a few SR2 teams are outside 600 miles.
                              I don't think that's how that works, unless the rules have been changed... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X