Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DSU ALUM View Post
    We ALWAYS have respect for Valdosta, but it does feel oh so good to be 5-0! Been a LONG time!
    I think your team has all the ingredients for a Championship team.. This was great payback from last year 55 - 0 drubbing.
    <>

Comment

• Deleted
      Last edited by vsuman; 10-02-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• The Gulf South Conference just posted:

"For the first time in 21 years a team scored 70 or more points in a GSC conference game. The last time it happened (Oct. 6, 2001) Valdosta State scored 70 at Delta State."

I looked at the game history and it was a 70-12 win by VSU. Just more of the back and forth history between the schools.
        RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

• Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
          The Gulf South Conference just posted:

"For the first time in 21 years a team scored 70 or more points in a GSC conference game. The last time it happened (Oct. 6, 2001) Valdosta State scored 70 at Delta State."

I looked at the game history and it was a 70-12 win by VSU. Just more of the back and forth history between the schools.
          Coaches and teams remember ridiculous mud stomping and they can motivate teams to greater heights. West Georgia’s mud stomping of Argos 69-0 at Blue Wahoo in final game of inaugural season was, according to coach Shinnick, the impetus for their record breaking title game appearance in 2017. It will be interesting to see Blazer team response next week.

Comment

• We play. West Alabama ... all bets are off.
            <>

Comment

• Dr. Jekyll plays Mr. Hyde- time to flip a coin to pick a winner and throw a dart at dart board for the point spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
                The Gulf South Conference just posted:

Did you notice it was the year after we won the NC….?

My my my…

Comment

• Originally posted by vsuman View Post

We didn’t have a lot of turnover. I believe Kerwin Bell and Gary Golf were first year coaches at VSU with completely new staffs but I also get your point.
                  Based on the articles I’ve read, there are 55 players who put on the Blazer jersey for the first time this season. Only TWO of the defensive starters are returners. I think that would qualify as a lot of turn over. According to camp notes and coaches interviews, the majority was due to graduation and transfer portal.

I agree wholeheartedly that the performance last night was embarrassing. These kids, coaches, and fans love football- but sometimes- the other team is just flat out better! Those that truly watched the game, saw key players get hurt early. I’m agree that the expectation should always be “next man up” and that isn’t a reason to accept defeat, however, it’s not like our offense was shut out. We still put up 31 points with over 400 yards in offense which in MOST football games would be pretty impressive stats.

Kickoff coverage team has definitely been a weak link, many missed tackles and the kicker has two tackles already! I’m one who wishes we would kick deep and take the touchback, but in todays game, many players are still choosing to bring the ball out for a return even when 5 yards deep in the end zone, which means it’s safer to kick out of bounds and or the short sky kicks to give greater chance of a fair catch until the coverage team starts making stops.

Until the defense gels and gets stronger, I’d like to see Jackson take a more hands on approach since he’s previously stated he lets his coordinators run their side of the ball and he truly only coaches the special teams unit that has blocked 2 kicks so far.

Just my perspective from a new Blazer fan perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by NewBlazer2022 View Post

Based on the articles I’ve read, there are 55 players who put on the Blazer jersey for the first time this season. Only TWO of the defensive starters are returners. I think that would qualify as a lot of turn over. According to camp notes and coaches interviews, the majority was due to graduation and transfer portal.

I agree wholeheartedly that the performance last night was embarrassing. These kids, coaches, and fans love football- but sometimes- the other team is just flat out better! Those that truly watched the game, saw key players get hurt early. I’m agree that the expectation should always be “next man up” and that isn’t a reason to accept defeat, however, it’s not like our offense was shut out. We still put up 31 points with over 400 yards in offense which in MOST football games would be pretty impressive stats.

Kickoff coverage team has definitely been a weak link, many missed tackles and the kicker has two tackles already! I’m one who wishes we would kick deep and take the touchback, but in todays game, many players are still choosing to bring the ball out for a return even when 5 yards deep in the end zone, which means it’s safer to kick out of bounds and or the short sky kicks to give greater chance of a fair catch until the coverage team starts making stops.

Until the defense gels and gets stronger, I’d like to see Jackson take a more hands on approach since he’s previously stated he lets his coordinators run their side of the ball and he truly only coaches the special teams unit that has blocked 2 kicks so far.

Just my perspective from a new Blazer fan perspective.
                    Agree with you about the kickoffs. One time last night we did the short kick, got a penalty, so that DSU was starting their drive on our 40. Can't give the opposing team a starting point like that. What's that saying....."just because you can doesn't mean you should".......lol...

Welcome to the board!

#BlazerNation

Comment

• Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post

Agree with you about the kickoffs. One time last night we did the short kick, got a penalty, so that DSU was starting their drive on our 40. Can't give the opposing team a starting point like that. What's that saying....."just because you can doesn't mean you should".......lol...

Welcome to the board!
                      Absolutely, we’ve had a lot of penalties at critical times that has made me question how Disciplined our guys really are. I’d like to see us play much stronger in first half of games, so I’m not sure if that’s because our players are just slow to warm up, or if our coaches aren’t communicating effectively in the first half to make the necessary adjustments in the moment. But it seems once the evaluate the plays at halftime they have shown tremendous improvements in all 5 games second half.

Comment

Absolutely, we’ve had a lot of penalties at critical times that has made me question how Disciplined our guys really are. I’d like to see us play much stronger in first half of games, so I’m not sure if that’s because our players are just slow to warm up, or if our coaches aren’t communicating effectively in the first half to make the necessary adjustments in the moment. But it seems once the evaluate the plays at halftime they have shown tremendous improvements in all 5 games second half.
                        Well speaking from someone who has been watching Blazer football for 30+ years, I've never seen them this bad in all three phases 5 games into the season. Yes there has been a lot of turnover for whatever reason. I have not seen any progression at any position group from game 1 through current. It's the same issues over and over. By the way, a lot of the points were scored when the game was already over. Five touchdowns in the second quarter alone. Delta NEVER punted! When has that ever happened? Credit our guys for not completely shutting it down and continuing to fight at least on offense. I don't know what is going on with defense. Basic Fundamentals are missing. Somebody tell me the number of games that need to be played before I can say "Okay, he's had time but it's just not working".
                        Last edited by vsuman; 10-04-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I know a lot of schools are doing this, but I just wonder what is the philosophy behind these short kicks? To prevent a huge return? You're already giving up yardage with a short kick.
                          And what does that say about your kick off team? That they can't run down the field and nail the receiver at the 5 or 10 yard line? Put your fastest players on the kick off team, give'em their lanes and let them fly and get that receiver. No returns.
                          Or just kick it in the end zone..... :)

#BlazerNation

Comment

• Delta State played great! Delta State had a great game plan and executed it to perfection! On meaningful drive 10 out of 10. I have never seen No punts or field goals by DSU in a game. The team played hard and played for each other. Great to see! We made Ivory Durham uncomfortable or he looked it at least. A lot of his passes didn’t look thrown very well! Surprised he never ran the ball / took off with it! Also to me Valdosta looked small up front. And I told the person who was with me at times on D Valdosta looked out of sync like their head was spinning. Possible alignment / communication issue. Much respect to Valdosta program but 5-0 and our first win in 6 years feels good!

Comment

• Just in case anyone wants to watch Coach Cooley's press conference.
                              https://fb.watch/fWRGota8GH/
                              RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                              Delta State University, GSC

Comment

• Originally posted by vsuman View Post

Well speaking from someone who has been watching Blazer football for 30+ years, I've never seen them this bad in all three phases 5 games into the season. .[/FONT]
                                I think our tackling is abysmal. Again, comes down to coaching. (From a defensive coach.)

<>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X