Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Georgia Football

From 2002 through 2013, West Georgia Football was overall both noncompetitive in the Gulf South Conference and nonexistent in the Division II Championship Series. In 2014, a new UWG President hired Will Hall to take over football and gave him autonomy from the athletic director. Hall began to quickly build a superior football program at UWG and went on to set a school record of what I believe to be 36 wins in 3 seasons. Hall had positioned UWG to be a national contender, although falling short in two national semi-finals.

In 2017, David Dead took over the football program at UWG and has subsequently made the playoffs in 2017, 2018, and 2021 (no football in 2020). Overall Dean has been a good fit at UWG and has done a good job. Last week David Dean became the winningest coach in West Georgia history. What took Hall 3 seasons to accomplish has taken Dean 4 seasons and 3 games to accomplish. I mention this not to impugn Dean but to simply state some facts. I am quite certain Dean was not given the autonomy nor budget that Hall received while at UWG. One week after setting the UWG all-time winning record, UWG lost its homecoming matchup against Mississippi College. Upsets happen everyday in college football, but this loss was very discouraging for a program that national pundits and peers were regarding as one of the top ranked teams in the country.

West Georgia Football has stabilized and is a much different look than it was 10, 15, or 20 years ago. However, it is now time for West Georgia to make some decisions. Is it a place that wants 36 wins in 3 seasons or 37 wins in 4+ seasons? Is it a place that wants to drop a homecoming contest or take care of business and set up the table to host playoff appearances? Is it a place that is satisfied with a 1st or 2nd round playoff appearance, or is it a place that is preparing to travel to McKinney, Texas? The great thing is David Dean has been there before and should know the way again.

The remainder of the 2022 football season (and beyond) is waiting to see what UWG decides.

We’ll take Dean back if you’re sick of him!

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post
      I took his post to be more about his suspicion that Dean is not being given the resources that Will Hall was given to win games that we have come to expect.

Comment

Your point is a good one.

UWG was courting Hall from UWA and he negotiated the autonomy and budget to make sure he was better off than at UWA. When Hall left and Dean was hired, Dean had lost his job as an assistant when the head coach was fired. Dean didn’t have the same negotiating power that Hall did bc he was out of work. Hall did it bc he wanted to win and move on, Dean took what he could get to get back on the sideline.

Can’t blame UWG for taking a cheaper deal with Dean even if the expected outcomes are the same.Happens in the workplace all the time at other jobs and it usually has the same result that UWG is seeing.

All that said I think you guys have one of best coaches in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
          Your point is a good one.

UWG was courting Hall from UWA and he negotiated the autonomy and budget to make sure he was better off than at UWA. When Hall left and Dean was hired, Dean had lost his job as an assistant when the head coach was fired. Dean didn’t have the same negotiating power that Hall did bc he was out of work. Hall did it bc he wanted to win and move on, Dean took what he could get to get back on the sideline.

Can’t blame UWG for taking a cheaper deal with Dean even if the expected outcomes are the same.Happens in the workplace all the time at other jobs and it usually has the same result that UWG is seeing.

All that said I think you guys have one of best coaches in D2.
          Emelle has told me ever since Hall left that the deal had been struck prior to the UWA/UWG game and was finalized right after the game. A day or so later,
          locals tracked the plane (owned by Company UWG's stadium is named for) from Carrollton to Meridian that picked Will (and maybe his family) up and flew back to Ga.

Dean is the best deal in D2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post
            No thanks, He's had his time here!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazetastic View Post

No thanks, He's had his time here!
              Much better than what you have now!

Heck, we’ll take Dean at UNA!! Lol
              Last edited by UNALions; 10-11-2022, 11:09 AM.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Dean took over at UWG with basically all of Hall's coaching staff. That staff was given time to find other jobs, but not the opportunity for one of the coordinators to get the head job. By 2019 UWG's program had declined and was no longer in the playoffs. Following a COVID break, UWG returned with a very respectable 2021 season; however, was blown out by Valdosta in the second round of the playoffs.

2022 is not going as planned for UWG. If anyone can put together a 5 game run it is David Dean. That is probably what it will take for UWG to make the playoffs. Dean has a history of being inconsistent and now UWG is behind the 8 ball. I am pulling for Dean and the UWG program to get it done. There is a lot of football left to be played in 2022.

I will say that if and when UWG decides to make a change, it will bring interest like no other program in the GSC, or many in the country can match. The question remains - is Dean handicapped or just not performing?
                Last edited by Will Call; 10-11-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Team is performing! The stats are good on the ground at least could it be just bad play calling on both sides of the ball?

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
                    Team is performing! The stats are good on the ground at least could it be just bad play calling on both sides of the ball?
                    You said that not me!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X