Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalifOKRA
    replied
    It sucks to see DSU and UWA left out. Rightfully so, though, since DSU and UWA have much smaller enrollments, especially DSU.
    I definitely miss the old GSC. I worry about what the future holds for DSU and the GSC.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

For the smaller D2 teams, FCS is not an affordable option so it will be D3 or NAIA or no football. But you are right the only D1 xfers to D2 will be those that just want a chance to play or those that portal once and still don’t get to play. No more troubled stars, someone will take them.
    I agree with you. But it gets murky for schools like UNA, Jax State, UWG, VSU, and UWF as far as where they should or want to be in relation to college sports. Guess which of those schools is larger? Not the FCS schools. Jax State is the smallest of those mentioned as far as enrollment with just under 10K. UNA just announced a record enrollment of just over 10K. Jax State also averages 19K in football attendance at their two home games so far this season. UNA about 10K.

The three GSC schools, however, have over 12K/13K in enrollment. So, it's really all about the commitment from a financial standpoint and what the school's focus is as far as athletics.

Leave a comment:

• UWAalum
    replied
    Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I agree. CUSA is going to have tough sledding no matter who joins. I also seriously worry about FCS and D2. Since the portal, there's no longer a need to go D2 to avoid having to sit out a year. No longer will Janoris Jenkins need to transfer to UNA or Tyreek Hill to UWA. That saddens me and truly makes me worry about D2, especially in the southeast. Yet, if FCS is dried up in the south soon, there may be nowhere for current D2s to go anyway. Other than playing time, FCS has very little draw for a culture that has most student-athletes wanting "D1 or nothing".
    For the smaller D2 teams, FCS is not an affordable option so it will be D3 or NAIA or no football. But you are right the only D1 xfers to D2 will be those that just want a chance to play or those that portal once and still don’t get to play. No more troubled stars, someone will take them.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
    It is a treacherous time in FBS for those outside the power 5 with NIL, the portal, realignment and playoff expansion. I read an article that had Utah coach Kyle Whittingham’s thoughts that the top 25 will soon mirror the NIL top producers. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the lower tier bowls when the playoff is expanded.
    I agree. CUSA is going to have tough sledding no matter who joins. I also seriously worry about FCS and D2. Since the portal, there's no longer a need to go D2 to avoid having to sit out a year. No longer will Janoris Jenkins need to transfer to UNA or Tyreek Hill to UWA. That saddens me and truly makes me worry about D2, especially in the southeast. Yet, if FCS is dried up in the south soon, there may be nowhere for current D2s to go anyway. Other than playing time, FCS has very little draw for a culture that has most student-athletes wanting "D1 or nothing".

I feel like the small college football that we all love is on a steep decline in the south driven largely by money and the media conglomerates that run FBS.
    Last edited by UNALions; 10-11-2022, 07:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UWAalum
    replied
    It is a treacherous time in FBS for those outside the power 5 with NIL, the portal, realignment and playoff expansion. I read an article that had Utah coach Kyle Whittingham’s thoughts that the top 25 will soon mirror the NIL top producers. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the lower tier bowls when the playoff is expanded.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    North Al for sure not matching anywhere near D2 success yet. Nowhere near ready for FBS honestly
    I liked your post. But, to be fair, Bobby Wallace retired after the national title run in 2016 and well....it's just not been the same. We limped out of D2 5-5 in 2017 if you recall. Played a WR at QB the last game because we'd gone through five that season. I hear that our coach's days are numbered and we'll see about all the rest. We lost in double OT to Kennesaw State this past weekend and that sums up a lot of the games. Just couldn't get it done for the W. It's disappointing to watch for sure.

What I've learned is that success doesn't seem to matter when conferences want to call you up from another division. CUSA was in real trouble and is now poaching the ASUN to stabilize itself. But, in turn, has likely killed what could have been a great FCS conference.

The result will be that teams like UCA, APSU, and even UNA could end up in FBS wayyyyyyy at the bottom. Sigh.
    Last edited by UNALions; 10-11-2022, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• statesmen supporter
    replied
    North Al for sure not matching anywhere near D2 success yet. Nowhere near ready for FBS honestly

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    These would be good fits for CUSA! Be interesting to see if it happens.
    It's all crazy to think about really. I've heard for months that CUSA is going after all of the ASUN football teams after they poached Liberty and Jax State. I didn't believe it really, I guess. Then, Kennesaw State was rumored last week to be going to CUSA, and the GA Board of Regents is voting on that tomorrow. Now, this from Matt Brown today who I definitely trust on these matters.

UNA is in no way ready for FBS football. At all. But, folks in college football have lost their minds lately, obviously.

It was announced last week that the university had a record fundraising campaign and I heard yesterday that UNA has voted to move forward with building a new stadium on campus. Today, it was announced that the university has record enrollment this fall. So, maybe things are happening in Florence.

I'm not rich, so I just sit back for the ride as an alum and fan. Haha. Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• statesmen supporter
    replied
    These would be good fits for CUSA! Be interesting to see if it happens.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    I'm not so sure the ASUN will have football schools much longer. I'd heard this recently so I didn't respond to this post the other day.

But today I see...

FBS Expansion: Per Matt Brown of Extra Points, “Austin Peay, Central Arkansas and North Alabama” are top candidates for CUSA expansion. EKU being kept out of the league by WKU.

Leave a comment:

• crashandannie
    replied
    Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

Ya If I remember right USI said the same thing but there D1. It be stupid not to move up hell at this point VSU might as well move down to D3. Then again I can't really believe anything anyone says on these boards about "schools not moving up"
    There are many, many factors at play in a move up, including facilities, Title 9 parity, quality of program, getting an invitation, and especially finances. VSU would have to more than double the current athletic budget to be able to move up, in a time with less available funding. It is also a multi-year process.

Go take a look at the actual requirements. VSU will not be moving in the next 5 years, and unless the rules change not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Doesn’t matter if you “believe” or not. It is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• UISguy23
    replied
    Originally posted by crashandannie View Post
    VSU will not move up. Would need to add sports and a stadium at a time when athletic budgets are shrinking across the board.

We have seen many D2 teams move up with dreams of glory and athletic success in FCS. How many actually match or improve on their D2 performance? I think the VSU administration would rather be a big fish in the D2 pond than an also-ran in D1.
    Ya If I remember right USI said the same thing but there D1. It be stupid not to move up hell at this point VSU might as well move down to D3. Then again I can't really believe anything anyone says on these boards about "schools not moving up"

Leave a comment:

• UWAalum
    replied
    If it is only about football, a move to FCS makes sense. But D2 has strong basketball, baseball, soccer and women’s sports.

Leave a comment:

• crashandannie
    replied
    VSU will not move up. Would need to add sports and a stadium at a time when athletic budgets are shrinking across the board.

We have seen many D2 teams move up with dreams of glory and athletic success in FCS. How many actually match or improve on their D2 performance? I think the VSU administration would rather be a big fish in the D2 pond than an also-ran in D1.

Leave a comment:

• UISguy23
    replied
    As much as those D2 lovers would love for schools to stop moving up schools like Valdosta have grown or have been a success at the d2 level for a long period of time. Yes d1 is expensive but they get themselves out there to recruits, have a chance for TV exposure etc. Like what happens if d2 falls apart? What do they do at that point. I'd give it 2 years tops that VSU would win the Asun. Just like Uindy would win the OVC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X