Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta State vs West Alabama (15 Oct 22)

Kind of early in the week to post, but this game comes with some history.

Delta State has played West Alabama more times than any other team since starting football in 1926. First meeting in 1940, the game on Saturday will be the 68th football game played between Delta State and West Alabama. The teams have met every year since 1968. Saturday's game will mark 54 seasons in a row (excluding the 2020 COVID year). The two teams played twice in 2017, once in the regular season and the second time in the playoffs. DSU owns a 36-28-3 record against UWA.

Additionally, in 1970, DSU and UWA became charter members of the Gulf South Conference; known then as the Mid South Conference. Of the six charter members, DSU and UWA are the only schools that have held a continuous membership, making them the longest tenured schools in the GSC.

Lastly, the DSU vs UWA game is the longest continuous football game played in the GSC, and the GSC football game that has been played the most often. While DSU vs UWA isn't necessarily thought of as a significant rivalry, there is plenty of history between the two teams.

With DSU and UWA playing twice this season, it will only add to the GSC's oldest rivalry.

Football History vs University of West Alabama from Sep 20, 1940 - Oct 23, 2021
    https://gostatesmen.com/sports/footb...west-alabama/7

Game link:
    https://www.flofootball.com/live/42471

PREVIEW: #10 Statesmen Planning a Pink Out vs West Alabama
    https://gostatesmen.com/news/2022/10...t-alabama.aspx
    Last edited by CalifOKRA; 10-13-2022, 11:49 AM.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Love the history you have posted each week.
    Last edited by BlazerLady; 10-09-2022, 08:46 AM.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
      Kind of early in the week to post, but this game comes with some history.

Delta State has played West Alabama more times than any other team since starting football in 1926. First meeting in 1940, the game on Saturday will be the 68th football game played between Delta State and West Alabama. The teams have met every year since 1968. Saturday's game will mark 54 seasons in a row (excluding the 2020 COVID year). The two teams played twice in 2017, once in the regular season and the second time in the playoffs. DSU owns a 36-28-3 record against UWA.

Additionally, in 1970, DSU and UWA became charter members of the Gulf South Conference; known then as the Mid South Conference. Of the six charter members, DSU and UWA are the only schools that have held a continuous membership, making them the longest tenured schools in the GSC.

Lastly, the DSU vs UWA game is the longest continuous football game played in the GSC, and the GSC football game that has been played the most often. While DSU vs UWA isn't necessarily thought of as a significant rivalry, there is plenty of history between the two teams.

With DSU and UWA playing twice this season, it will only add to the GSC's oldest rivalry.

Football History vs University of West Alabama from Sep 20, 1940 - Oct 23, 2021
      https://gostatesmen.com/sports/footb...west-alabama/7

Game link:
      https://www.flofootball.com/live/42471
      Thanks for the great info.
      While I wasn't there for the 1926 game, I did see many Mid South Conference Games.
      Been fun watching both of these teams through the years.
      I watched DSU's NC game in 2000 while sitting in The Flora Bama Lounge. Before the game, few people had heard of DSU and The GSC. After about 100 beers(collectively) everyone in the place was yelling for The Statesmen.
      (BTW, my nephew was DSU HC)

Comment

The first of two trips to Delta this year. Thanks, GSC.

Comment

Thank you for educating me and others about the long history between the teams and the league. I didn’t know DSU and UWA were the Hatfields and McCoys of the GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
            Thank you for educating me and others about the long history between the teams and the league. I didn’t know DSU and UWA were the Hatfields and McCoys of the GSC.
            If a DSU grad marries a UWA grad, and they divorce, are they still brother and sister?

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

If a DSU grad marries a UWA grad, and they divorce, are they still brother and sister?
              LOL.....

#BlazerNation

Comment

The Statesman will be back home and the Fighting Okra fans will be in rare form. One memory I have of WAwirh the play where a player comes off the side line onto the field. This is how they win. always a trick play. We will be more than ready

Comment

Of course!

Comment

With West Georgia, West Florida, Mississippi College, North Greenville, and Shorter, it’s possible we win no more games.
                    <>

Comment

Thanks for the great info.
                      While I wasn't there for the 1926 game, I did see many Mid South Conference Games.
                      Been fun watching both of these teams through the years.
                      I watched DSU's NC game in 2000 while sitting in The Flora Bama Lounge. Before the game, few people had heard of DSU and The GSC. After about 100 beers(collectively) everyone in the place was yelling for The Statesmen.
                      (BTW, my nephew was DSU HC)
                      Mr. Larold, I did not know your nephew was the legendary Steve Campbell. I hated things didn’t work out for him at South Alabama. Is he retired now and if so, do you think he would ever consider getting back in as a HC somewhere, possibly D2 level?

Comment

As a player, I never payed attention to stuff like this. I was a JUCO transfer and only learned how big the UNA and VSU games were.

Now as an alumnus, and fan, it’s fun to see some of the history behind the conference and the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
                          The first of two trips to Delta this year. Thanks, GSC.
                          We had to travel to West Georgia twice last year.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

We had to travel to West Georgia twice last year.
                            Beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Mr. Larold, I did not know your nephew was the legendary Steve Campbell.

Mr. Larold also knows Captain Kangaroo.
                              <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X