Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post

I think fans are being more vocal everywhere.......maybe there's some kind of virus in the air........ lol.....
    Haha!
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post

Would you say and just your opinion. Has the overall transfer to D1-FCS been worth it from a success Stand point? Does anyone there mention / Miss D2 our is it just the good old forgotten days?
      I think success is measured differently than wins when transitioning from D2 to D1. The university has upgraded several facilities (especially Flowers Hall) and has just announced record enrollment. They also just announced record fundraising and rumor of finally building an on-campus stadium.

But that four year process is brutal and could be cut in half soon. Since UNA played Liberty for the ASUN hoops title two seasons back and Bellarmine won the conference last year, there’s been a huge push to cut one or two years off the postseason ban for transitioning teams. That really affects recruiting especially in football.

I have enjoyed the move as a fan but I definitely miss the GSC. And so do some others. More so in football. I actually prefer the ASUN as far as the other sports and UNA has been competitive in most all sports at some point during the transition.

Many wish we had our old GSC rivals in the ASUN with us and UCA.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Whatever happened to that announcement you mentioned a few months back that was supposed to be out by now? ASUN vetting a couple of GSC schools.

Comment

I think success is measured differently than wins when transitioning from D2 to D1. The university has upgraded several facilities (especially Flowers Hall) and has just announced record enrollment. They also just announced record fundraising and rumor of finally building an on-campus stadium.

But that four year process is brutal and could be cut in half soon. Since UNA played Liberty for the ASUN hoops title two seasons back and Bellarmine won the conference last year, there’s been a huge push to cut one or two years off the postseason ban for transitioning teams. That really affects recruiting especially in football.

I have enjoyed the move as a fan but I definitely miss the GSC. And so do some others. More so in football. I actually prefer the ASUN as far as the other sports and UNA has been competitive in most all sports at some point during the transition.

Understand / glad to hear you have been competitive for the most part! Congrats on the success there. I bet that process does seriously hurt recruiting. It was a great game always in football with some classics. Also thanks for the reply. P.S. any word I possible FBS move up that was mentioned?

Comment

Has this man ever heard of football in the south? Lol. If he thinks fans aren’t going to have an opinion, he’s delusional.

D2 sometimes think they’re above the fray of online angst from golf-clapping fans and alumni. But they’re aren’t. UNA is getting a big taste of that right now. Folks want our coach fired and are finally getting vocal online!
            When I was listening to his show this morning, I hadn't read any of the comments on some of the FB group pages. Some of the fan comments were a little too crude for me. That may be what he was referring too.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
              With Blazers looking to be loosing so many on Offense after this year, but not sure if some have another year due to China virus. We will be fairly inexperienced on O side, Jackson better hope his phone is still ringing for some top players wanting to come. We need some players ready to step up. Unfortunately I’m hearing some unsettling things going on and a lack of discipline. One thing we need is some speed on D, MC ran away from us several times. Course correction of a ship takes time, but Jackson needs to start showing he’s captain and get the ship turning.
              We will be rebuldng next year it looks like.

Comment

Canceling Flosports for the rest of the year

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

Whatever happened to that announcement you mentioned a few months back that was supposed to be out by now? ASUN vetting a couple of GSC schools.

From what I’ve been reading and hearing, mainly via recent comments by Matt Brown, it doesn’t seem that any D2s are ready to pull the trigger just yet. I imagine most are still trying to recover from the instability of the pandemic.

I truly wish multiple GSC schools would come to the ASUN. It would allow for much better travel for the north and south geographic concentrations of the conference.

Some look at their D2 school and think it’s not possible or a good idea. One main thing I hear is lower enrollment as an obstacle for reclassifying but don’t get it twisted. There are a lot of small enrollment schools in FCS. The SoCon has five schools with less than 6k students. Two of them have less than 2k! Playing D1 sports and FCS football. Some are making football but playoff runs like Furman. Less than 3k students. Had over 4k at their game with The Citadel this past weekend. Wofford with 1800 students has been a regular in March Madness for the past decade beating Seton Hall in the opening round of 2019.

I've watched us, then Bellarmine, and now Queens out of Charlotte all vote and accept bids to the ASUN. They have both been competitive in certain sports from the jump! I just feel like several GSC schools could move up and compete. It would take some money for the entrance fee and facility upgrades. But it will take fans and alumni to make their interests known on the topic.
                  Last edited by UNALions; 10-17-2022, 08:44 PM.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post

P.S. any word I possible FBS move up that was mentioned?
                    It looks like CUSA is going to stick to 10 for a bit and maybe go to 12 eventually. But, UNA is in no way ready to go there. I hope the ASUN stabilizes in football like it is in the other sports and we are in FCS for a long while. But, in no way do I think realignment won't change every bit of that in the next year or so. CUSA will likely want to go to 14 after the P5 becomes the P3 because of the mega-conference mentality.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

Well Spencer called out all the fans this morning on his radio show for having an opinion. I didn't realize opinions were no longer allowed, even though this is a fan board. However, I agree, I don't see our offense being able to put up enough points next year to make up for the lack of run defense. I guess we're just spoiled!
                      I haven’t called for his head, but this is the worst d in 30 years. I’m not convinced our passing d is any better than than running d. What I know is we have the worst d in GSC. I’m not privy to what has been on Facebook but was told of negative things happening with in the team. Yes we’re spoiled, but I want to feel like we’re competitive and that’s not the case now.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post

I haven’t called for his head, but this is the worst d in 30 years. I’m not convinced our passing d is any better than than running d. What I know is we have the worst d in GSC. I’m not privy to what has been on Facebook but was told of negative things happening with in the team. Yes we’re spoiled, but I want to feel like we’re competitive and that’s not the case now.
                        I haven't called for anyone's job either; I will say however, there should not be this much of a drop off.
                        Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

I hope he starts letting the backup quarterback and the backup running backs play more. They are not getting much playing time because we are needing our starting offense in all the time to make up for the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer88 View Post
                            Canceling Flosports for the rest of the year
                            I enjoy Flo in the spring. They broadvcast the basketball championships. and other GSC championships.

Welcome to the board!!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X