Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinnick to UNA?

UNA has fired their head coach and one D2 name is on the lips of Lions fans!! No, there’s no rumors yet.

But, it seems Coach Shinnick and the current UNA President have ties from UNC-Pembroke. President Kitts was Provost at UNCP when Shinnick was HC there.

Could be an interesting choice. However, would he want to leave the beach? Also, UNA can’t wait for some long playoff run before they hire a HC. The portal will kill us if we wait too long.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
    UNA has fired their head coach and one D2 name is on the lips of Lions fans!! No, there’s no rumors yet.

But, it seems Coach Shinnick and the current UNA President have ties from UNC-Pembroke. President Kitts was Provost at UNCP when Shinnick was HC there.

Could be an interesting choice. However, would he want to leave the beach? Also, UNA can’t wait for some long playoff run before they hire a HC. The portal will kill us if we wait too long.
    I think that would be an outstanding move for UNA. However, if I'm Coach Shinnick, I'm staying at UWF.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I think that would be an outstanding move for UNA. However, if I'm Coach Shinnick, I'm staying at UWF.
      I agree with both statements.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

As we all know, the college football landscape is changing. That change is going to impact D2. A lot of larger D2 schools are going to move to FCS in the near future. Obviously this isn't some hot take, it's already happening. I think UWF will be one of the schools making that move, and I think it would benefit UWF to do all they can to keep Coach Shinnick along for that ride.

If I'm UWF, I'm offering Coach Shinick an extension and handing him a blank check; of course within the budget of the school, but you get the point. UNA will probably do the same if he's their #1 choice.
        RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

I'm reminded of the old joke about a person moving from one state to another and "the IQ went up in both states"

Risky move for both schools.
          While Shinnick is an outstanding coach, some of his recent success has to do with the quality athletes touring Pensacola and wanting to be there.He would improve UNA but will he have the same draw in Florence? Most highly talented players will go where success is already present, not wanting to spend 2, 3, or 4 years using their talent to rebuild a program.

Comment

I agree with both statements.
            If I was him, I’d leave because I prefer the mountains over the beach and it’s FCS, more scholarships and more money. Depends if he is beach bum or mountain man as well as what the money looks like. Who has deeper pockets, Tuna or UWF? I’d say tuna, and if he is a beach bum, he could still go to UNA and have a little bit of beach in Florence because he’d be coaching the Tunas. Go SNOILS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

I'm reminded of the old joke about a person moving from one state to another and "the IQ went up in both states"

While Shinnick is an outstanding coach, some of his recent success has to do with the quality athletes touring Pensacola and wanting to be there.He would improve UNA but will he have the same draw in Florence? Most highly talented players will go where success is already present, not wanting to spend 2, 3, or 4 years using their talent to rebuild a program.
              Not necessarily, look at Arch Manning going to TX. They have been in a drought for a while. Look at all those 5 stars at TX A&M, they haven’t done too much either in the win column. It’s about benefits and relationships today. JMO

Comment

He won in Pembroke, NC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

He won in Pembroke, NC.
                  Also at Azusa Pacific. He’s a program builder which is why he was hired at UWF. I’m sure he could take those same skills and rebuild a program.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

How is UNA recruiting going being in FCS? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

He won in Pembroke, NC.
                      Yes he did and did a great job building a strong D2 Program

D2 is still a long way from FCS (just ask UNA)

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Not necessarily, look at Arch Manning going to TX. They have been in a drought for a while. Look at all those 5 stars at TX A&M, they haven’t done too much either in the win column. It’s about benefits and relationships today. JMO
                        No doubt. Specifically about talking about UNA though, they went UP too soon, and it's been a LONG JOURNEY. Shinnick could no doubt develope a program there, just wonder how long it would take, more importantly, with all his previous success, would he want to spend the years proving something he's already proven? Maybe most importantly, are the powers that be at UNA (boosters, admin etc) willing to give him ever how many years it'll take on top of what they've already endured ?

Comment

I kind of see UNA as a lateral move for Shinnick at this point. Sure, the money may be better and it is technically a "step up" but there is a lot more going for UWF (in D2) than UNA (in FCS) IMO. UWF is the only D2 football playing school in FL and it is a public school along with a good location - which is why they are able to recruit the kind of players that they have been getting (it is an easier pitching recruits "coastal Florida" than it is to l the mountains of Alabama). UNA is not doing that. I honestly think UWF will be FCS in the not too distant future.

Comment

Yes he did and did a great job building a strong D2 Program

D2 is still a long way from FCS (just ask UNA)
                            I dunno. Tarleton, Lindenwood, and Texas A&M-Commerce don't seem to be having many issues with it.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
                              How is UNA recruiting going being in FCS? Just curious.
                              Got some great young playmakers on offense. Defense lost some guys from last year and it's been a rough season for them, which is part of why Willis lost his job early. He was our former DC.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X