Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

I'd much rather live in Florence than Pensacola, but that's just me.

As for scheduling, UWG, VSU, and UWF are all in a precarious position, and each would be better off, for football, in FCS.
    I love Florence! It’s beautiful there. And while not around mountains, it’s got beautiful foothills of the Appalachians and I love walking alongside the Tennessee River. It’s a fishing mecca.

My family still owns farmland up on the Tenn state line and I love going back to visit the peace and quiet.

And, yes, I definitely agree with your last statement.

I was told earlier today that Harding may be looking to move to the ASUN and FCS. Seems UCA is trying to recruit a school close to them to join.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I love Florence! It’s beautiful there. And while not around mountains, it’s got beautiful foothills of the Appalachians and I love walking alongside the Tennessee River. It’s a fishing mecca.

My family still owns farmland up on the Tenn state line and I love going back to visit the peace and quiet.

And, yes, I definitely agree with your last statement.

I was told earlier today that Harding may be looking to move to the ASUN and FCS. Seems UCA is trying to recruit a school close to them to join.
      Thanks for clarifying the no mountains part, too many folks were painting the area as Gatlinburg. That being said, it is a wonderful place. So many things have been a part of that region.
      From music and science, to pioneers in social change, Helen Keller, WB Handy, so many other wonderful people and events that called the region home.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Yeah, I mean not to offend the beach lovers out there but not everyone loves the beach. There are a lot of people that love the mountains. I’m not sure a recruit today gives two craps about the weather or environment. They care about NIL, they care about benefits ie facilities, they care about the coaches that recruited them, they care about how they will fit into the system and playing time, they care about winning which leads to accolades for them, oh and they care about the pretty girls in college, perhaps not in that order. That’s it I believe for the majority. Their not thinking about tanning on the beach during the summer or white water rafting in the mountains in regards to their decision making I don’t think. As far as a coach goes, I imagine it’s salary, their perks, their assistants salaries, and how much control their going to have of their program, along with their relationship with AD and Pres. Again, weather, white sand nor rocky cliff trails plays a role in their thinking imo.
        If a 5 Star recruit takes two craps just off a mountain trail, do they make a noise? Piss off a bear?

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

If a 5 Star recruit takes two craps just off a mountain trail, do they make a noise? Piss off a bear?
          Haha

Comment

Yeah, I mean not to offend the beach lovers out there but not everyone loves the beach. There are a lot of people that love the mountains. I’m not sure a recruit today gives two craps about the weather or environment. They care about NIL, they care about benefits ie facilities, they care about the coaches that recruited them, they care about how they will fit into the system and playing time, they care about winning which leads to accolades for them, oh and they care about the pretty girls in college, perhaps not in that order. That’s it I believe for the majority. Their not thinking about tanning on the beach during the summer or white water rafting in the mountains in regards to their decision making I don’t think. As far as a coach goes, I imagine it’s salary, their perks, their assistants salaries, and how much control their going to have of their program, along with their relationship with AD and Pres. Again, weather, white sand nor rocky cliff trails plays a role in their thinking imo.
            While I agree with some of your points, location is a factor for some recruits.

I'm from Southern California, born and raised near the beach. When I was being recruited, Colorado Mesa (Mesa State at the time) flew me out to their campus for a visit. The problem was, they flew me out in the middle of December and walked me around campus in the freezing cold. There was snow on the ground and everything. They offered me a partial scholarship during the trip and I couldn't decline fast enough. I was not going to live in weather like that.

Minot State visited the JUCO I attended. I was invited to their campus and quickly declined when I found out they were in North Dakota. I wasn't even going to entertain them. Again, this Southern California kid was not going to spend two years in a place where it's freezing cold and it snows.

I had a few other small schools recruiting me, but none located in climates like the above two schools.

I absolutely believe weather and location play a factor for some recruits. Especially if those recruits are from an area with nice weather. It may be more difficult to lure them to a cold weather school.
            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

While I agree with some of your points, location is a factor for some recruits.

I'm from Southern California, born and raised near the beach. When I was being recruited, Colorado Mesa (Mesa State at the time) flew me out to their campus for a visit. The problem was, they flew me out in the middle of December and walked me around campus in the freezing cold. There was snow on the ground and everything. They offered me a partial scholarship during the trip and I couldn't decline fast enough. I was not going to live in weather like that.

Minot State visited the JUCO I attended. I was invited to their campus and quickly declined when I found out they were in North Dakota. I wasn't even going to entertain them. Again, this Southern California kid was not going to spend two years in a place where it's freezing cold and it snows.

I had a few other small schools recruiting me, but none located in climates like the above two schools.

I absolutely believe weather and location play a factor for some recruits. Especially if those recruits are from an area with nice weather. It may be more difficult to lure them to a cold weather school.
              Interesting. Well that does make sense the way you put as well as speaking from experience as a former recruit. Do you think that percentage is high though with most recruits in that weather and location is top on their list? Would a FL d2 and FCS recruit take a d2 partial at UWF to a full ride at UNA or Maine? My guess is the latter. Benefits surpass location and weather, but I could be wrong. Larold, can you do a quick survey of 1000 freshmen d2 and FCS and fbs players and get that answer back to me and CalifOkra by Friday? Thanks

Comment

Interesting. Well that does make sense the way you put as well as speaking from experience as a former recruit. Do you think that percentage is high though with most recruits in that weather and location is top on their list? Would a FL d2 and FCS recruit take a d2 partial at UWF to a full ride at UNA or Maine? My guess is the latter. Benefits surpass location and weather, but I could be wrong. Larold, can you do a quick survey of 1000 freshmen d2 and FCS and fbs players and get that answer back to me and CalifOkra by Friday? Thanks
                I wouldn't say most recruits have weather/location at the top of the list, but I do think it's on the list for some. You are 100% right regarding the full ride vs partial. Truth be told, I never took a visit to Delta. I was offered a full scholarship and I signed a few days later. You are definitely right, though. If a cold weather school offered me a full ride, and a warm weather school offered only a partial, I would 100% take the full ride and freeze. However, if all things were even, I'm going to the nice weather school. I believe UWF, and a couple of other GSC schools, will be on an even playing field with UNA in the near future... As much as I hate to say it. I don't know what DSU and UWA are going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I wouldn't say most recruits have weather/location at the top of the list, but I do think it's on the list for some. You are 100% right regarding the full ride vs partial. Truth be told, I never took a visit to Delta. I was offered a full scholarship and I signed a few days later. You are definitely right, though. If a cold weather school offered me a full ride, and a warm weather school offered only a partial, I would 100% take the full ride and freeze. However, if all things were even, I'm going to the nice weather school. I believe UWF, and a couple of other GSC schools, will be on an even playing field with UNA in the near future... As much as I hate to say it. I don't know what DSU and UWA are going to do.
                  I don’t know either. It’s very concerning. At least DSU has a historically top notch athletic program. What does that mean really, I don’t know. UWA on the other hand doesn’t. Almost think UWA will either wind up independent in d2(is there such a thing), or go back to NAIA like it was in during early 70’s and prior. The GSC has always had a history of changing though, and I suppose every conference has. I definitely don’t see either of these two programs in jeopardy of shutting down, but more reclassification, new conf or Indy. I could actually see DSU going to the GAC where all the army schools are. Isn’t Cleveland pretty close to all those army schools? Then UWA goes Indy or naia. Now here is a thought, the GSC, if they have some wise creative leadership, perhaps going after highly successful d3 and naia schools in the southeast, but I’ve been disappointed in GSC leadership for a very long time. You don’t hear anything coming out of that office in regards to getting new football schools to the GSC from any level and before you know it, perhaps tomorrow, you could be looking at DSU, UWA, MC, shorter and NGU with VSU, UWG and UWF waiving bye to us. I say to GSC leadership now, go and find some new freaking members. Belhaven, Birmingham Southern, Faulkner and those are just a few I know of. Knock on every football school in our region in d3 and naia if you must.

Comment

I don’t know either. It’s very concerning. At least DSU has a historically top notch athletic program. What does that mean really, I don’t know. UWA on the other hand doesn’t. Almost think UWA will either wind up independent in d2(is there such a thing), or go back to NAIA like it was in during early 70’s and prior. The GSC has always had a history of changing though, and I suppose every conference has. I definitely don’t see either of these two programs in jeopardy of shutting down, but more reclassification, new conf or Indy. I could actually see DSU going to the GAC where all the army schools are. Isn’t Cleveland pretty close to all those army schools? Then UWA goes Indy or naia. Now here is a thought, the GSC, if they have some wise creative leadership, perhaps going after highly successful d3 and naia schools in the southeast, but I’ve been disappointed in GSC leadership for a very long time. You don’t hear anything coming out of that office in regards to getting new football schools to the GSC from any level and before you know it, perhaps tomorrow, you could be looking at DSU, UWA, MC, shorter and NGU with VSU, UWG and UWF waiving bye to us. I say to GSC leadership now, go and find some new freaking members. Belhaven, Birmingham Southern, Faulkner and those are just a few I know of. Knock on every football school in our region in d3 and naia if you must.
                    GREAT post. You really hit it in the head. The GSC hasn't even be able to develope a good website.
                    I would think any member school should be able to request a GSC audit. I'd like to see where the money goes (it may all be perfectly alloted, but let's see)
                    What money was gained with the FLO Sports deal? What are the salaries(they may all be underpaid or volunteers, but let's see) of leadership?
                    What is the GSC Conference's 5 year plan? In very general terms and descriptions, share Conference activity related to growth of conference?

Comment

My initial hope was DSU moving up with those schools, but I doubt they have the money. Especially with declining enrollment. But then I think, Mississippi Valley State is FCS. Their budget can’t be too much more than ours and a similar enrollment. I don’t know how they’re maintaining their FCS status. DSU would be more competitive than MVSU.

I was thinking joining another conference, too. A drop to D3 wouldn’t work. I doubt many athletes would want to play in Cleveland with no scholarship money. NAIA would be better than that. D2 does have independents, but from what I’ve noticed, teams don’t stay long in independent status.
                      Last edited by CalifOKRA; 11-03-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

GREAT post. You really hit it in the head. The GSC hasn't even be able to develope a good website.
                        I would think any member school should be able to request a GSC audit. I'd like to see where the money goes (it may all be perfectly alloted, but let's see)
                        What money was gained with the FLO Sports deal? What are the salaries(they may all be underpaid or volunteers, but let's see) of leadership?
                        What is the GSC Conference's 5 year plan? In very general terms and descriptions, share Conference activity related to growth of conference?
                        It’s always better to be proactive than reactive. I’m curious if the GSC is doing anything to be proactive, or if they’re just waiting for stuff to happen.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X