Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
    Blazer fans, are you feeling more confident about this coaching staff and the direction of the team?
    No - But to be fair, I wasn't sold on Kerwin Bell his first couple of years either, and that worked out okay. Proud of the effort. The Blazers left it all on the field. Glad to see some of the guys who were riding the pine finally getting a chance to play! I think he finally realizes that some of the players he brought in are too slow!
    Last edited by vsuman; 11-07-2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

No - But to be fair, I wasn't sold on Kerwin Bell his first couple of years either, and that worked out okay. Proud of the effort. The Blazers left it all on the field. Glad to see some of the guys who were riding the pine finally getting a chance to play! I think he finally realizes that some of the players he brought in are too slow!
      Hope ALL of our seniors get to play Saturday!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
        Blazer fans, are you feeling more confident about this coaching staff and the direction of the team?
        No, I need to see more.
        Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

And that is why I question his ability to coach. It took him too long to see that they were too slow. I still wish they'd make a change. I have a feeling we will be at the same place next year when he doesn't have an offense.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUFOOTBALLFAN View Post
            I have a feeling we will be at the same place next year when he doesn't have an offense.
            I’m a lot less concerned about next years offense than our defense.

I think skill wise that we should have the makings of a great offense next year. WR - should return Hurst, Allen and Jaques. All the tight ends are back. Bud Chaney and Tisdale should be back at RB. Sammy Edwards will be great at QB (I believe he’d be starting and excelling at most any other school in the conference). He’s a more traditional QB such as Rogan or Cayden Cochran (which is what we’ve had in our NC winning years). Of the 2 deep on our o-line only 3 of the 10 finish this year. Should have experienced guys back there.

My greater concern is defense. We have 24 guys listed on the roster at DL (which seems like a crazy big number). 6 of the 8 on the 2 deep are finished (including all of the Mesa guys Jackson brought in). We weren’t real effective there this year. That’ll be a re-build, but if some of the other 18 can play maybe we can supplement with a couple of transfers and be much better there.

I heard a HC on TV make the statement this weekend that games are won or lost in the trenches. I agree. We were ranked 162 out of 163 in rushing defense when I looked last week. That starts with the D-Line and LB’s.

Of the 2 deep at LB 4 of the 6 should return. 7 of 9 on the roster appear eligible to return. 2 freshmen and 2 sophmores got significant playing time this year.

We’re young in the defensive backfield (only 1 senior out of the 8 on the 2 deep listing). I thought we were pretty good in that area this year.

A big question mark revolves around the portal. Will it be difficult to get guys to buy in and transfer to VSU given what happened this year? Will it be difficult to get guys to buy in and stay after this year. Given our heavy commitment to the portal can we get high school guys to come and be developed (we need those as a base/foundation)? Can you get guys from the portal (that don’t know each other) and quickly build a family type atmosphere on the team?

I honestly don’t know the answers to all that. We’ll have to wait for it to unfold to see.

Coaching? That’s outside my pay grade. That’ll be up to Herb and Jackson.
            Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 11-07-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

I think skill wise that we should have the makings of a great offense next year. WR - should return Hurst, Allen and Jaques. All the tight ends are back. Bud Chaney and Tisdale should be back at RB. Sammy Edwards will be great at QB (I believe he’d be starting and excelling at most any other school in the conference). He’s a more traditional QB such as Rogan or Cayden Cochran (which is what we’ve had in our NC winning years). Of the 2 deep on our o-line only 3 of the 10 finish this year. Should have experienced guys back there.

My greater concern is defense. We have 24 guys listed on the roster at DL (which seems like a crazy big number). 6 of the 8 on the 2 deep are finished (including all of the Mesa guys Jackson brought in). We weren’t real effective there this year. That’ll be a re-build, but if some of the other 18 can play maybe we can supplement with a couple of transfers and be much better there.

Of the 2 deep at LB 4 of the 6 should return. 7 of 9 on the roster appear eligible to return. 2 freshmen and 2 sophmores got significant playing time this year.

We’re young in the defensive backfield (only 1 senior out of the 8 on the 2 deep listing). I thought we were pretty good in that area this year.

A big question mark revolves around the portal. Will it be difficult to get guys to buy in and transfer to VSU given what happened this year? Will it be difficult to get guys to buy in and stay after this year. Given our heavy commitment to the portal can we get high school guys to come and be developed (we need those as a base/foundation)? Can you get guys from the portal (that don’t know each other) and quickly build a family type atmosphere on the team?

I honestly don’t know the answers to all that. We’ll have to wait for it to unfold to see.
              Thanks hope you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

I heard a HC on TV make the statement this weekend that games are won or lost in the trenches. I agree. We were ranked 162 out of 163 in rushing defense when I looked last week. That starts with the D-Line and LB’s.

Coaching? That’s outside my pay grade. That’ll be up to Herb and Jackson.
                You're also assuming all of the coaches return. Hopefully the offensive coordinator stays.

Comment

You're also assuming all of the coaches return. Hopefully the offensive coordinator stays.
                  Not really assuming anything on the coaches. While I have some opinions on the job the coaching staff has done this year that’s really not my place. Herb’s exceptionally good at what he does.

That said Bowie (OC) is an extremely bright young mind that’s deeply steeped in the Air Raid offense. Pretty sure he came in without a lot of experience in his specific role as OC. But he knows his football.

I did feel we underperformed on offense at times, particularly earlier this year, which put a lot of pressure on our defense (reference all the field goals early (a field goal is the result of a drive that stalled out)). I also believe that our poor defensive play put a lot of pressure on our offense (we’ve given up 38 points a game and have played from behind a lot).

I believe we’ll be throwing the ball more next year without our triple threat rushing the ball. If I were a receiver looking for a home to transfer to VSU would be a place I’d seriously look at. Sammy Edwards will be dynamic.

I think 2022 will be very good for Bowie as he continues to develop ( I envision him in a few years as an OC at a significant FBS program).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X