Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delta dawn View Post

I don’t think they do. Almost sure. I will check and post the answer
    I think you are right. They only do GSC championships, not the NCAA level.

#BlazerNation

Comment

UWF appears to be broadcasting their own game via Argos All-Access.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Please tell us exactly what should be done? Where is the GSC going to find any new teams? What leverage does it have to convince NAIA or D-III teams to increase their spending and join D-II? What leverage does it have to convince a non-football GSC team to add football?

The University of New Orleans student body just voted down an athletic fee increase to fund football.

I can not answer that question because I do not know what has been done. If you do, please explain what, and how you have that knowledge?

Look, scheduling is difficult, but playing duplicate games is the easy answer. It is hurting the conference. The same mindset has migrated to basketball and it needs to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
          SAC had a limit of 25 for YEARS. I still don't know how many were using that much less 36 now

Comment

IMHO teams should get bonus points for OOC games, something to incentivize against SILO scheduling. With GAC getting 1 team and MIAA only two teams in PO maybe the sting will get some hit back on the conference. Could have a rule if no OOC games you can’t get a 1-4 seed I.e. no home games.

Comment

If the goal is for the best 7 teams in the Super Region to be in the playoffs it seems a bit off that they’d put a 3 loss Limestone team in ahead of a 2 loss West Georgia team.

West Georgia had a 1 point loss to MC and lost outright to W Fla, but finished the season with 5 straight wins, including a strong win over Delta.

Regardless, I’ll be deer hunting all weekend cause my team has a bye for the rest of the season.

Comment

Check this but the GSC just went 4-16 in crossover games with women’s basketball with no other option for games that count outside the conference. Now conference play will begin and good luck for any good program who may end up on the bubble. Just like West Georgia Football. The conference thinks it’s hip to ignore outside competition.

Delta beats West Florida, West Florida beats West Georgia, West Georgia beats Delta State. And West Georgia is at home because of conference policies.
                Last edited by Will Call; 11-14-2022, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Well with UWG out I can pull for a GSC team to make the final four. At least if Delta State wins we can say we were the only team they did not beat. Go Okra and fight, fight , fight….😄

Comment

Originally posted by Will Call View Post
                    Check this but the GSC just went 4-16 in crossover games with women’s basketball with no other option for games that count outside the conference. Now conference play will begin and good luck for any good program who may end up on the bubble. Just like West Georgia Football. The conference thinks it’s hip to ignore outside competition.

Delta beats West Florida, West Florida beats West Georgia, West Georgia beats Delta State. And West Georgia is at home because of conference policies.
                    Our girls played in a tourney with Fla schools recently, but we use to play just a variety of 4-5 schools before conference games.

#BlazerNation

Comment

The mindset that only 1 or 2 teams from a conference are selected is crazy. The selection process should the top 7 teams no matter which conference. There should be a set list of standards including a ranking formula and a transparent process.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
                        The mindset that only 1 or 2 teams from a conference are selected is crazy. The selection process should the top 7 teams no matter which conference. There should be a set list of standards including a ranking formula and a transparent process.
                        I agree there should be more transparency but also don't think the playoff field should be stack with teams from one or two conferences. However I do like the fact the conference "champion" does not get an automatic bid (There was couple wacky SIAC championships games due to how they only counted divisional games vs conference games) But every level of football has a representative from a certain division or conference in the playoff. (of course except the FBS playoff).

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Please tell us exactly what should be done? Where is the GSC going to find any new teams? What leverage does it have to convince NAIA or D-III teams to increase their spending and join D-II? What leverage does it have to convince a non-football GSC team to add football?

The University of New Orleans student body just voted down an athletic fee increase to fund football.

I know these are rhetorical but...

I don't think they have any leverage at all and the convincing is more difficult bc of rumored defections along with the struggles that Shorter has gone through.

I don't see any current GSC members adding football. IMO, Lee and Union would do well if they added football. Most of their programs do well in the GSC, I see no reason they would be any less committed to football. Publicly, they along with Montevallo, say they don't want football to change the culture of their campus. UAH would never be allowed by the UA Board to start football. I am not sure about AUM, but I think a program in a metro area would do well.

That leaves the GSC with convincing an NAIA or D3 member to join us. That group mostly consists mostly of private schools so the GSC can't point to Shorter's experience as an incentive. And there are only a few that I think would be "fits".

Here is my list and it consists of nothing more than my "arm chair commissioner" opinion. My 10 minutes of research comes from Wikipedia(so the facts must be true) the rest is strictly my opinion done more for fun than anything else. In other words, don't get your delicates in a bunch if you disagree.

D3 - Belhaven, Huntingdon, Maryville College, Berry, and Lagrange College all play D3 football. Belhaven being the largest and Huntingdon the smallest. Belhaven would be my most likely candidate from this group. Birmingham Southern and Milsaps both play football but it would be hard to see them jumping to D2. Centenary College in Louisiana is adding football if we want to expand the GSC footprint to Shreveport.

NAIA - If I were trying to convince an NAIA member to start football and join us, Middle Georgia State would be at the top of my list, then Dalton State and William Carey. 2 publics and one private with D2 type enrollment numbers.

Faulkner University(Al), Bethel U (Tn), Cumberland (Tn), already have football and play in a conference of mostly Kentucky schools. In Georgia Point U (Ga) along with Reinhardt have football programs and Thomas U is adding football.

Here is my new GSC under Commissioner UWAAlum

Delta
                          MC
                          Shorter
                          Valdosta
                          UWA
                          UWF
                          UWG
                          Belhaven
                          Faulkner

Maybes:
                          Middle Ga State
                          William Carey
                          Huntingdon
                          Bethel
                          Cumberland
                          AUM

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post

I agree there should be more transparency but also don't think the playoff field should be stack with teams from one or two conferences. However I do like the fact the conference "champion" does not get an automatic bid (There was couple wacky SIAC championships games due to how they only counted divisional games vs conference games) But every level of football has a representative from a certain division or conference in the playoff. (of course except the FBS playoff).
                            I get you, but I fuss about the softball playoffs every year too.....lol.... If you want a true champion, then best teams need to be playing each other.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post

I get you, but I fuss about the softball playoffs every year too.....lol.... If you want a true champion, then best teams need to be playing each other.
                              The selection committee has been infiltrated with politically correct people who want diversity not the best teams. It the way things are now for better or worse and opinions will very accordingly. I personally think if the GSC has four teams better than any other conference in SR2 they should be in po. That goes for any conference in D2. I think Fayetteville state was given the po spot and did not earn it. I also have the same issue with Limestone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

The selection committee has been infiltrated with politically correct people who want diversity not the best teams. It the way things are now for better or worse and opinions will very accordingly. I personally think if the GSC has four teams better than any other conference in SR2 they should be in po. That goes for any conference in D2. I think Fayetteville state was given the po spot and did not earn it. I also have the same issue with Limestone.
                                Bingo! D2 should do away with regionalization and put the best teams from across the country in the field.

This year, with the alphabetical regional "rankings" and not allowing the data to be seen in some weeks, has proven that the D2 Football Committee has jumped the shark.
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X