Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone at West Florida

The weather for Saturday’s game is 50 degrees with sunny skies going cloudy with 50% chance of late afternoon scattered showers. With 1 pm kickoff may just dodge the rain and sun in eyes of players.

Hey ~ congrats for winning ‘pick-em.'
    <>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post
      Hey ~ congrats for winning ‘pick-em.'
      Thanks. I’m probably going to close my eyes and throw darts at a dart board next year for point spread and see if it’s any better than educated guesses.

This year it seemed like nearly every time I picked a close game it was a blowout and vice versa. You could never make money betting the spread on GSC games.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Thanks. I’m probably going to close my eyes and throw darts at a dart board next year for point spread and see if it’s any better than educated guesses.

This year it seemed like nearly every time I picked a close game it was a blowout and vice versa. You could never make money betting the spread on GSC games.
        LOL.....

Good luck Saturday. Go GSC!!!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Go Argos!!!

This is UWF’s chance to make up for last year’s heartbreak down on the bay. First playoff game on campus!
          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Got my tickets today and even my daughter wants to go and she is not a football fan. I expect a bigger crowd than last year’s game because it’s on campus and the students will be there in droves.

Comment

Got my tickets today and even my daughter wants to go and she is not a football fan. I expect a bigger crowd than last year’s game because it’s on campus and the students will be there in droves.
              I’ll be watching from home out in Myrtle Grove! The games have looked really good on campus via the broadcast. No more net to mess with the camera focus.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Here is breakdown of roster numbers for two teams. Limestone is heavy (89) with SC players, but has 51 from 14 other states with the most from Georgia and North Carolina. They also have 19 D1 transfers.

Argos are heavy (78) with Florida players, but also have 36 from 11 states and Australia with the most from AL and TX. The Argos have 32 D1 transfers.

The rosters are pretty similar and both teams have a roster full of 300 lb. OL, but Limestone DL roster averages 260 lb. vs. Argo 300 lb. DL roster. Limestone runs a balanced run/pass offense and it will be interesting to see if they can run on Argos or stop the Argo run game.

Both the Limestone punters are freshmen, so we will see if that becomes a turnover factor under playoff pressure.

West Florida

Total: 115
                Sr: 23
                Jr.: 26
                So.: 30
                F: 36

QB: 6 (2 upperclassman)
                RB: 7 (5)
                WR: 18 (9)
                TE: 4 (1)
                OL: 19 (8)
                LS: 2 (1)
                K/P: 4 (2)
                DL: 18 (7)
                LB: 16 (8)
                DB: 21 (9)

Limestone

Total: 131
                Sr.: 31
                Jr.: 29
                So.: 22
                F.: 49

QB: 7 (4)
                RB: 13 (5)
                WR: 13 (7)
                TE: 7 (4)
                OL: 20 (9)
                LS: 1 (1)
                K/P: 6 (2)
                DL: 24 (13)
                LB: 18 (8)
                DB: 22 (7)

Comment

I thought I would look at the two offenses today. Both teams are similar in generating 470 yds./gm. through a roster full of 300 lb. linemen, but they differ in how they do it. The Argos are nearly perfectly balanced (243 run/230 pass) and the Saints lean to pass more. (200 run/271 pass).

They both have fumbled the ball away 7 times and the Argos give up fewer sacks. (4 v. 17) The TDs from run and pass are nearly identical, but the Saints have thrown more picks (14 v. 8) mainly because they have thrown 100 more passes.

The Limestone run game rests primarily on Tre Stewart who has run for over 1,400 yards with an 8 yard avg. The next RB has 480 followed by the QB with 200. Stopping Stewart will be job #1 for Argos D.

The Argos spread the run load between Mason (900 @ 8 avg.), Jarrett (640 @ 7 avg.), Hargrove (610 @ 8 avg.) and Wilson (300 @5.6 avg.). The Argos gave Sheffield and Johnson more work in last two games as they rested Mason and Hargrove for the playoff run, which is normal practice for Argos.

The Limestone passing attack is led by QB Noller who has passed for 2,200 yds. with 61% completion, 20 TDs and 151 efficiency rating. He spreads the ball around more than Argo QB with 7 WR having 200 or more yards for season and 7 more WR with catches for less than 200 yards. The backup QB Seter with 700 yards and 7 TDs is not listed on current roster.

The Argo passing game is lead by Jarrett who primarily throws deep to a handful of WR. Jarrett has thrown for 2,100 yards with 53% completion, 27 TDs and 157 efficiency rating. The Argo backup Rich has thrown for a couple of TDs in mop up duty and has looked good running the offense when he has been in the game.

Both defenses will have a challenging day stopping these productive offenses.

Comment

I thought I would look at the two offenses today. Both teams are similar in generating 470 yds./gm. through a roster full of 300 lb. linemen, but they differ in how they do it. The Argos are nearly perfectly balanced (243 run/230 pass) and the Saints lean to pass more. (200 run/271 pass).

They both have fumbled the ball away 7 times and the Argos give up fewer sacks. (4 v. 17) The TDs from run and pass are nearly identical, but the Saints have thrown more picks (14 v. 8) mainly because they have thrown 100 more passes.

The Limestone run game rests primarily on Tre Stewart who has run for over 1,400 yards with an 8 yard avg. The next RB has 480 followed by the QB with 200. Stopping Stewart will be job #1 for Argos D.

The Argos spread the run load between Mason (900 @ 8 avg.), Jarrett (640 @ 7 avg.), Hargrove (610 @ 8 avg.) and Wilson (300 @5.6 avg.). The Argos gave Sheffield and Johnson more work in last two games as they rested Mason and Hargrove for the playoff run, which is normal practice for Argos.

The Limestone passing attack is led by QB Noller who has passed for 2,200 yds. with 61% completion, 20 TDs and 151 efficiency rating. He spreads the ball around more than Argo QB with 7 WR having 200 or more yards for season and 7 more WR with catches for less than 200 yards. The backup QB Seter with 700 yards and 7 TDs is not listed on current roster.

The Argo passing game is lead by Jarrett who primarily throws deep to a handful of WR. Jarrett has thrown for 2,100 yards with 53% completion, 27 TDs and 157 efficiency rating. The Argo backup Rich has thrown for a couple of TDs in mop up duty and has looked good running the offense when he has been in the game.

Both defenses will have a challenging day stopping these productive offenses.
                    Argonut hey I know we already have a GSC columnist but if he ever quits, I’m going to nominate you to Brandon. Your analysis is awesome to read each week about games.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Argonut hey I know we already have a GSC columnist but if he ever quits, I’m going to nominate you to Brandon. Your analysis is awesome to read each week about games.
                      I'll second that motion.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

At least he probably knows UWA ain't the Wolves.

Comment

On the defensive side of the ball the teams also share many similarities beginning with numbers of LB over 220 lbs. and DB over 6 feet to cover the same number of WR over 6 feet on opposing team. The teams also give up the same yardage per play, acquire roughly the same amount of fumbles and picks and give up the same amount of passing yardage. (215 v 221)

The biggest difference between the teams is the size and depth of the DL and this difference is reflected in a lot of the defensive stats. The Argos have 7 players over 300 lbs. with 13 over 280 lbs. The Saints only have 3 players over 300 lbs. and only 6 over 280 lbs. This size and depth disparity probably accounts for Argo edge in points given up (23 to 29), rushing yards (153 to 200), avg. rush (4 to 5), total yards (368 to 421), red zone TDs (21-29 to 28-43) and total TDs given up (29 to 43).

The Argo D is better at slowing down the run, keeping teams out of the red zone and scoring TDs once in the red zone. The Saints D have more sacks (22 to 15), but I don’t believe that has much relevance with Argo QB Jarrett, who is rarely sacked because of his running abilities.

The Argo DBs have been susceptible to the big play in the passing defense and given Limestone QB’s abilities in spreading the ball to a lot of WR, this could be the key matchup in the success of the Limestone offense. On the other side of the ball, the Argo run game should be very productive against the smaller DL of the Saints and this sets up prime conditions for the play action deep ball the Argos love to throw.

It will be an interesting game to watch all of the matchups between the high powered offenses and the defensive strategies the coaches use to counteract the offenses.

Comment

A look at the special teams of the Argos and Saints has to start with the #1 D2 punt returner, West Fla. WR David Durden, who leads the nation with a 20 yard average. By comparison, the Limestone returner averages 6 yards per return. Durden routinely turns no gainers into 20+ yard field flippers and he doesn’t even need blockers to do damage.

In the West Ala. game he made multiple highlight reel returns including one jaw dropper where he was hit by two tacklers upon the catch at the 50, didn’t fumble while being knocked backwards a couple of steps, regained his balance and shook off the tacklers, ran left and made a textbook open field stiff arm of a defender face first into the turf, ran another 15 yards down the sideline breaking multiple tackles before half the defense gang tackled him out of bounds. I was sitting behind a local youth football team and they went absolutely nuts over this play, especially the stiff arm they couldn’t stop talking about.

Durden is the best punt returner in the Argos short history and I imagine the Limestone coaches and their freshman punter will dread seeing #17 standing at midfield awaiting a kick and may just intentionally kick the ball 30-40 yards at an angle out of bounds to keep the ball out of his hands. Durden is a game breaker and the matchup between the Saints punter and Durden is a big one.

Apart from this special team advantage/disadvantage, the teams average similar yards in penalties, punting average, kickoff returns and KO coverage and neither team has attempted an onside kick this year. The Argo kickoff kicker averages 10 yards more (60 v 50) with more touchbacks (20 v 5), so the Argos will probably have more chances for a big return than the Saints.

The Argos also have an advantage with their FG kicker who is perfect on PAT ( Saints have missed 5 PAT) and has made a higher percentage and more FG from longer distances than the Saints kicker.

Statistically the 2022 Argos are the most productive and complete special teams unit in school history and I fully expect and can’t wait to see what David Durden is going to do this Saturday. It’s going to be cloudy the entire game, so he will not have any sun in his eyes to distract him from making another spectacular punt return.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                              Go Argos!!!

This is UWF’s chance to make up for last year’s heartbreak down on the bay. First playoff game on campus!
                              Not to worry LR put 50 on the Stones. Name your score here for it should be a blowout. How Limes got in po is puzzling to me with an 8-3 record.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X