Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingate vs West Florida (The Trilogy)

Both times West Florida has played Wingate in the playoffs the Argos have went on to play in the D2 National Championship.

2017 National Runner-Up: West Florida 31 @ Wingate 0 (First Round)
    2019 National Champions: West Florida 38 @ Wingate 17 (First Round)
    2022: @ Pensacola
    * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
    * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Weather forecast for next Saturday is good with sunny skies and temps in high 60’s to low 70’s and slight breeze. No rain!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
      Weather forecast for next Saturday is good with sunny skies and temps in high 60’s to low 70’s and slight breeze. No rain!!!
      Good!!
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Limestone was a common opponent that Wingate beat in OT by 7 and Argos won by more in regulation. Wingate run game shut down by Limestone, but Argos ran for over 200 on Limestone. Limestone also ran well on Wingate stingy run D for over 160 yards, so Argos should have some success on ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
          Limestone was a common opponent that Wingate beat in OT by 7 and Argos won by more in regulation. Wingate run game shut down by Limestone, but Argos ran for over 200 on Limestone. Limestone also ran well on Wingate stingy run D for over 160 yards, so Argos should have some success on ground.
          Wingate faced 4 of the top 10 rushers in the nation this year and gave up 120 yards in 3 of the 4. Kinda odd for a team with such a stout defense.

Comment

I’m sure the Argo coaches will be stressing the Newberry playoff game to the team and not to overlook Wingate The stats averages of the two prior playoff games with the Bulldogs are below for whatever it’s worth.

The 2022 Dogs rely on defense to win low scoring games where they score in the 20’s. I don’t think they will hold Argos in the 20’s and score in the 30’s unless they get a boatload of turnovers. The Dogs sack abilities don’t matter much against an Argo team that runs the ball and has a big running QB. The weather forecast is for perfect sunny, warm and dry conditions which will not encourage turnovers.

Avg. Points: West Fla./Wingate 34.5 / 8.5
            Turnovers: .5 / 3.5
            Penalties: 4-27.5 / 3-25.5
            TOP: 32.5 / 27.5
            Sacks: 5 / .5
            Rushing Yards: 162 / 135.5
            Passing Yards: 162.5 / 99
            Last edited by Argonut; 11-27-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I sure do enjoy reading you informative non biased posts Argonut. Actually, this scenario has played out before.

1958-- "I just hope our old dilapidated bus can make it to your field in Texarcana Saturday. We are going to borrow some jerseys from Davidson College
              so we won't look so bad playing against you fellows in our old ones. Best of luck to your boys and ours for a good safe and close ballgame.~~Coach D. Shoe
              (Texarcana was undefeated and averaged 50+ points a game. Wingate was 4-2*--Wingate won!)
              * not counting games against high schools
              Last edited by Bulldog Blue; 11-27-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I'm sure most people on this site believe the Argos faced and defeated the toughest possible foe in SR2 yesterday. I don't believe Coach Shinnick and his team are anywhere close to being finished with achieving their ultimate goal for this season.

Comment

Wingate brings an admirable 8-0 road record to Pen-Aire Field that includes holding 6 opponents to 10 or less points and the other two teams to 21 points.

Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, the Argos are 6-1 at home with a scoring average of 45 per game and the weather forecast for Saturday is perfect for scoring.

The 2022 average stats for each team and their opponents are below. One interesting stat is that both teams have run roughly the same number of plays in the same run heavy proportion and the Argos have produced 30 more touchdowns.

West Florida / Opponents

Pts.: 43 / 23
                  TDs: 64 / 34
                  Turnovers: 17 / 19 (+2)
                  Penalties: 65 / 62 yds./gm.
                  TOP: 30 / 30
                  Sacks: 17 / 8
                  FG: 14-18 / 10-13
                  Rushing: 252 / 167 yds./gm.
                  Passing: 214 / 209
                  Avg. Play: 7.6 / 5.5 yds.

Wingate/Opponents

Pts.: 25 / 11
                  TDs: 34 / 13
                  TOs: 19 / 18. (-1)
                  Pen.: 75 / 59
                  TOP: 33 / 27
                  Sacks: 46 / 15
                  FG: 9-15 / 5-8
                  Rushing: 158 / 68
                  Passing: 183 / 144
                  Avg. Play: 4.9 / 3.7

Comment

Both West Fla. and Wingate run more than they pass and their QB have similar stats, although Argo QB throws deeper for more TDs. The Argos averaged 43 points per game and the Dogs averaged 25 for the season and against their 4 toughest opponents.

(Delta X2, West Ga. and Limestone for Argos; Limestone, Newberry, Va. Union and Benedict for Bulldogs)

However, the Dogs rushed for 28 yds. under their season average against their toughest opponents and the Argos rushed for 43 yds. above their season average against their toughest teams. The 2022 offensive stats of their top producers are listed below.

Wingate

Rushing: 1742 yds. (158/gm.) @ 3.7 avg., 14 TDs
                    Passing: 2011 yds. (182/gm.) @ 6.9 att., 20 TDs

QB Crocker: 159-288-11, 182/gm., 55%, 129 efficiency

RB Wilson: 543 yds. @ 4.6 avg., 4 TDs
                    RB Clark: 483 yds. @ 3.5 avg., 1 TD
                    QB Crocker: 271 yds. @ 3.0 avg., 5 TDs
                    RB Barnett: 186 yds. @ 4.0 avg., 1 TD

WR Dillon: 31-381 yds. @ 12 avg., 5 TDs
                    WR Simmons: 22-338 yds. @ 15 avg., 2 TDs
                    WR Desor: 22-296 yds. @ 13 avg., 3 TDs
                    WR Grant: 17-284 yds. @ 16 avg., 4 TDs

West Florida

Rushing: 3027 yds. (252/gm.) @ 6.9 avg., 32 TDs
                    Passing: 2571 yds. (214/gm.) @ 8.5 att., 32 TDs

QB Jarrett: 144-282-8, 198/gm., 51%, 151 efficiency

RB Mason: 1053 yds. @ 7.7 avg., 8 TDs
                    RB Hargrove: 796 yds. @ 8.9 avg., 3 TDs
                    QB Jarrett: 692 yds. @ 6.2 avg., 8 TDs
                    RB Wilson: 449 yds. @ 6.1 avg., 12 TDs

WR Durden: 48-973 yds. @ 20 avg., 11 TDs
                    WR Leggett: 34-543 yds. @ 16 avg., 9 TDs
                    WR Rembert: 13-204 yds. @ 15 avg., 2 TDs
                    WR Howard: 9-187 yds. @ 20 avg., 2 TDs

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog Blue View Post
                      I sure do enjoy reading you informative non biased posts Argonut. Actually, this scenario has played out before.

1958-- "I just hope our old dilapidated bus can make it to your field in Texarcana Saturday. We are going to borrow some jerseys from Davidson College
                      so we won't look so bad playing against you fellows in our old ones. Best of luck to your boys and ours for a good safe and close ballgame.~~Coach D. Shoe
                      (Texarcana was undefeated and averaged 50+ points a game. Wingate was 4-2*--Wingate won!)
                      * not counting games against high schools
                      Wingate was a junior college until the eighties I thought.

Comment

This game just might surprise some people like last year with Newberry. The SAC is no longer a pushover when all we had was CN. LR Newberry and Wingate have had recent success against the GSC. Probably still a little behind on scholarships but things are closer than ten years ago in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                          This game just might surprise some people like last year with Newberry. The SAC is no longer a pushover when all we had was CN. LR Newberry and Wingate have had recent success against the GSC. Probably still a little behind on scholarships but things are closer than ten years ago in my opinion.
                          That’s good to hear. It definitely seems the SAC has become better. They seemed especially competitive this season.

How come North Greenville isn’t part of the SAC?
                          It seems they’d be a perfect fit. NGU is located in the SAC footprint and they’re a private school like the other SAC schools. Seems they’d fit in really well.
                          RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                          Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                            Wingate was a junior college until the eighties I thought.
                            True
                            The game was one of 2 Junior College Championships that year. The president of Wingate was so budget conscious that, at first, he refused to pay for the gasoline for the bus trip. The players raised money from parents, students and friends and sold doughnuts. There were no football scholarships back then.They had no film and didn't even know what kind of offense they would face. All they knew was that Texarcana Junior College had a 8 game winning streak. Wingate's schedule that year included victories over Gardner-Webb Junior College, Chowan Junior College and Lees MCrae Junior College. How and why they received the invitation to play in the Pine Bowl is a mystery. A former professor once told me that Texarcana was somewhat of a showboat team and they "engineered" their opposition looking for an easy win. The team stayed in a seedy motel and ate at a roadhouse. After they won, the night before they left for home, they noticed a red light in a house across from the roadhouse. You guessed right, it was a whorehouse! I've talked to several of the players. None will admit visiting the establishment but curiosity got the best of some who did watch who went in and out of the front door..Those guys were great athletes. Some have passed but WU honors them in the Sports Hall of Fame and some return every year for the ceremony.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

That’s good to hear. It definitely seems the SAC has become better. They seemed especially competitive this season.

How come North Greenville isn’t part of the SAC?
                              It seems they’d be a perfect fit. NGU is located in the SAC footprint and they’re a private school like the other SAC schools. Seems they’d fit in really well.
                              They were all set to be admitted in (unsure of this date--2008?). I was a Juior at WU then so I should remember.They had played a limited SAC schedule the prior year and the SAC president Doug Echols had approved and recommended NGU for membership. It all came down to a vote by the school presidents. The NGU president made some boastful remarks in the big Upstate newspaper which many considered disrespectful toward the SAC, the level of competition and a couple of schools in particular. That article was picked up by The State, Charlotte Observer and RN&O and to put it bluntly "It hit the fan". The vote was NO. Personally I would like to see them in the SAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X