Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta State End of Year Press Conference

https://fb.watch/h4LsgqDlDS/

Really good end of year press conference from Coach Cooley. You can tell he loves the game. I love his intensity, his passion, and how much he cares for his players.
    With Coach Cooley leading the way, I am more than happy to continue my monthly donation to the football program. Hopefully other football alumni and football fans are donating. I'm sure any amount helps.

He mentions 2023 schedule:
    - @ Missouri S&T
    - Mississippi Valley

and then back to back to back
    - West Florida
    - @ West Georgia
    - @ Valdosta

Absolutely brutal way to open up GSC play.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
    https://fb.watch/h4LsgqDlDS/

Really good end of year press conference from Coach Cooley. You can tell he loves the game. I love his intensity, his passion, and how much he cares for his players.
    With Coach Cooley leading the way, I am more than happy to continue my monthly donation to the football program. Hopefully other football alumni and football fans are donating. I'm sure any amount helps.

He mentions 2023 schedule:
    - @ Missouri S&T
    - Mississippi Valley

and then back to back to back
    - West Florida
    - @ West Georgia
    - @ Valdosta

Absolutely brutal way to open up GSC play.
    The schedule next year is nice. It hasn't been publicly announced, but I think people will like it.

Comment

That already puts the Statesmen at a disadvantage. Need to cancel with the FCS school and schedule a D2.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
        That already puts the Statesmen at a disadvantage. Need to cancel with the FCS school and schedule a D2.
        Yes, but MVSU is only 42 miles away from DSU, and it's an opportunity to have not just an instate rivalry, but and in our region rivalry that would show recruits that there is more to playing at the next level than, "Going D1." Also, they are supposed to be coming to Cleveland this year. We will see if it actually happens.

Comment

It's valley....yeah you shouldn't be too worried about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDaytobeaTiger View Post

It's valley....yeah you shouldn't be too worried about that one.
            He’s not worried about Valley.
            With the way D2 playoffs work, there is absolutely no advantage to playing an FCS school. The game literally doesn’t count towards your record when it comes to playoff selection. The committee only uses D2 record. Each D2 team also has to play a minimum number of D2 games to be eligible for playoffs.

That’s what he means by disadvantage.
            Last edited by CalifOKRA; 11-29-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

Yes, but MVSU is only 42 miles away from DSU, and it's an opportunity to have not just an instate rivalry, but and in our region rivalry that would show recruits that there is more to playing at the next level than, "Going D1." Also, they are supposed to be coming to Cleveland this year. We will see if it actually happens.
              I definitely agree that close, in-state rivals are important. Y’all should schedule them in every sport.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I definitely agree that close, in-state rivals are important. Y’all should schedule them in every sport.
                They are regulars on DSU athletics schedules. Maybe not every year, but it's not uncommon for many sports, with maybe the exception of the basketball teams. I don't have recent memory of us playing them in basketball.

But let's take baseball for example. Last played in 2020. We beat them 20-8 and have an all-time record of 52-7

Football. This year. 28-17. All-time record of 6-1

I don't think we've played them in tennis, but last year they went 0-15 in men's and 0-14 in women's, I don't see how that would benefit us.

I think our only other shared sport is women's soccer, where they've won 1 game in the last 4 seasons. Again, doesn't benefit us.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

They are regulars on DSU athletics schedules. Maybe not every year, but it's not uncommon for many sports, with maybe the exception of the basketball teams. I don't have recent memory of us playing them in basketball.

But let's take baseball for example. Last played in 2020. We beat them 20-8 and have an all-time record of 52-7

Football. This year. 28-17. All-time record of 6-1

I don't think we've played them in tennis, but last year they went 0-15 in men's and 0-14 in women's, I don't see how that would benefit us.

I think our only other shared sport is women's soccer, where they've won 1 game in the last 4 seasons. Again, doesn't benefit us.
                  I know they struggle. I could see them dropping sports in the future.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Is Shegog done or is he back for 2023? Seems like I remember someone saying he had another year.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
                      Is Shegog done or is he back for 2023? Seems like I remember someone saying he had another year.
                      I thought he was done, but I guess he has one more year.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we will beat Valley. We could easily be 0-3 and the season could go south quickly. Coach Cooley is the best, I would hate to lose him.

Comment

I saw a recent article about enrollment issues at DSU. I know it's not a pleasant idea but what if DSU and MVSU merged? DVSU? Delta-Valley State?

Both enroll 2.5k or less right now. That doesn't sound sustainable. If they combined forces as one school with different campuses, they could combine athletic programs in either D1 or D2 and use the best athletics facilities on each campus to host their programs. Maybe play games on both campuses?

Enrollment has plummeted at DSU faster than at any other public university in Mississippi. Administrators have tried – and so far, largely failed – to reverse the decline.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I saw a recent article about enrollment issues at DSU. I know it's not a pleasant idea but what if DSU and MVSU merged? DVSU? Delta-Valley State?

Both enroll 2.5k or less right now. That doesn't sound sustainable. If they combined forces as one school with different campuses, they could combine athletic programs in either D1 or D2 and use the best athletics facilities on each campus to host their programs. Maybe play games on both campuses?
                            I'm glad you mentioned this. This was actually attempted before. I think it's a good idea, but with Mississippi the way it is, I doubt it will happen.

Merger no longer a threat for Mississippi Valley State
                            https://www.diverseeducation.com/hom...i-valley-state

Would either school rather cease to exist than try a merger? Maybe if one school folds, it would help increase enrollment at the school that survives. Maybe it’s just a waiting game to see which school closes first.

Edit to add:
                            I would be okay with MVSU taking over DSU or DSU taking over MVSU. I honestly think it would make the athletic programs stronger. The merger would probably allow the school to offer the max allotted scholarships in each sport, whether D2 or FCS.
                            With DSU reducing scholarships, I’m sure that’s hurting football. I wonder if DSU is even giving the 36 scholarships allowed in D2 football. If not, it’ll be tough to compete.

I also wonder how this reflects on degree holders. I earned my BS from DSU and I’m currently working on an online MBA from DSU.

I really hope the new president gets this figured out.
                            Last edited by CalifOKRA; 01-05-2023, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I'm glad you mentioned this. This was actually attempted before. I think it's a good idea, but with Mississippi the way it is, I doubt it will happen.

Merger no longer a threat for Mississippi Valley State
                              https://www.diverseeducation.com/hom...i-valley-state

Would either school rather cease to exist than try a merger? Maybe if one school folds, it would help increase enrollment at the school that survives. Maybe it’s just a waiting game to see which school closes first.

Edit to add:
                              I would be okay with MVSU taking over DSU or DSU taking over MVSU. I honestly think it would make the athletic programs stronger. The merger would probably allow the school to offer the max allotted scholarships in each sport, whether D2 or FCS.
                              With DSU reducing scholarships, I’m sure that’s hurting football. I wonder if DSU is even giving the 36 scholarships allowed in D2 football. If not, it’ll be tough to compete.

I also wonder how this reflects on degree holders. I earned my BS from DSU and I’m currently working on an online MBA from DSU.

I really hope the new president gets this figured out.
                              I really think they should consider it again since it was an actual recommendation back in the day. Seems to be an ongoing issue for MVSU especially.

For sports, it would allow the DSU athletes to be D1 with no transition period. That would be awesome. CW Post and LIU just did this same thing in 2019. Post was D2 and LIU was D1. Now, they are LIU Post in D1. Also similar was UT-Pan American and UT-Brownsville. But Brownstone was NAIA not D2. They are now in D1 as UT-Rio Grande Valley.

For past degree holders, you stick with what the name was when they conferred the degree. Although, my buddy’s law school was a stand alone school acquired by a state school. He uses the current state school name now on his resume because of the name recognition.

But the new school would likely want out of the SWAC. The Southland would likely welcome the merged program with open arms.
                              Last edited by UNALions; 01-06-2023, 03:19 AM.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X