Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Conference Changes

Long time listener, first time caller... UWG fan since 1999 (and proud 2x alum)

I was at an alumni association meeting at UWG Saturday morning and AD Jason Carmichael gave an athletics update. One thing of interest he mentioned is that there are upcoming conference changes that are affecting the UWG '23 football schedule. He specifically said that some members will be leaving while others are coming in, but did not name institutions. News is supposedly going to break by the end of the week.

Anyone have more information on this? Any speculation? Inkblot saw this on Reddit (before the GodMods took it down for being "rumor") and suspected that Chowan may be coming in as an affiliate.

Originally posted by Werecowmoo View Post
    Long time listener, first time caller... UWG fan since 1999 (and proud 2x alum)

I was at an alumni association meeting at UWG Saturday morning and AD Jason Carmichael gave an athletics update. One thing of interest he mentioned is that there are upcoming conference changes that are affecting the UWG '23 football schedule. He specifically said that some members will be leaving while others are coming in, but did not name institutions. News is supposedly going to break by the end of the week.

Anyone have more information on this? Any speculation? Inkblot saw this on Reddit (before the GodMods took it down for being "rumor") and suspected that Chowan may be coming in as an affiliate.
    I have no particular knowledge of any of these rumors, but that would be a real hike for all involved given the distances to far Eastern NC.

Would not Conference Carolinas getting to six teams be just as likely? (And then NGU getting pulled away from GSC).

Comment

Very interesting.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Would not Conference Carolinas getting to six teams be just as likely?
        I think that would be a mistake on their part until they get to eight or 10 teams.

A conference with only six members has to schedule six non-conference games. That's tough.

It would be wiser for the schools to maintain affiliations with their current conferences.

Comment

MURFREESBORO, N.C. - The Chowan University Athletic Department will host a press conference on Thursday, January 26th at 2:30pm to formally introduce Paul Johnson as the football program's next head coach.

In addition to the coach introduction, a formal announcement will be made regarding the program's conference affiliation and future plans. A 2023 football playing schedule will also be announced. Individuals that are not able to attend can view the press conference on the Chowan Digital Network (gocuhawks.com/live). Media members that are unable to attend and would like to ask questions, feel free to inquire at [email protected].

"We can't wait for Coach Johnson to get started with us next week," stated Patrick Mashuda, Vice President for Athletics. "The future of Chowan football is bright, and we can't wait to share the exciting news of our new conference affiliation next week."

Comment

I too think Chowan is just too far away for this to make sense, but who in the GSC would make a move to leave? Could NGU be headed out, or could Catawba or CN be headed in? I feel like it has to be something with a NC school because nothing else really fits. Any rumors of someone moving up or down maybe? I feel confident it can't be a school picking up or bringing back football because we would've heard something about that by now.

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

I have no particular knowledge of any of these rumors, but that would be a real hike for all involved given the distances to far Eastern NC.

Would not Conference Carolinas getting to six teams be just as likely? (And then NGU getting pulled away from GSC).

Comment

I can confirm that Chowan is making its case to the GSC for football-only membership.

Comment

Nice find. That explains the incoming institution and the schedule change, now I wonder if there is one exiting as well based on how Carmichael worded his announcement to us.

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                MURFREESBORO, N.C. - The Chowan University Athletic Department will host a press conference on Thursday, January 26th at 2:30pm to formally introduce Paul Johnson as the football program's next head coach.

In addition to the coach introduction, a formal announcement will be made regarding the program's conference affiliation and future plans. A 2023 football playing schedule will also be announced. Individuals that are not able to attend can view the press conference on the Chowan Digital Network (gocuhawks.com/live). Media members that are unable to attend and would like to ask questions, feel free to inquire at [email protected].

"We can't wait for Coach Johnson to get started with us next week," stated Patrick Mashuda, Vice President for Athletics. "The future of Chowan football is bright, and we can't wait to share the exciting news of our new conference affiliation next week."

Comment

Rumor has it Shorter is leaving.

Comment

I look forward to the updates.
                    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
                      Rumor has it Shorter is leaving.
                      That's interesting... I can't see anywhere that would be a better fit for them, unless they go back to the NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

That's interesting... I can't see anywhere that would be a better fit for them, unless they go back to the NAIA.
                        The SAC needs another team in their Piedmont (South) Division. Maybe there?
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

The SAC needs another team in their Piedmont (South) Division. Maybe there?
                          Would SAC for football and PBC for everything else make sense? They're a ways outside the SAC footprint (like Barton).

Comment

All kinds of scenarios. Could Shorter be in the process of joining Conference Carolinas thus giving the conference enough teams to move forward with their own football?
                            Could the Conference Carolinas football programs be aligning with the GSC?
                            Is Chowan aligning their football with the MEC, or the SAC?

We'll see.

Comment

Shorter leaving would not surprise me. How long are they going to continue to take beatings? They "fit" in the SAC.

Is the Paul Johnson mentioned above the same Paul Johnson that coached Georgia Southern/Navy/GT?

Perhaps a GSC/Conference Carolinas football alliance would be workable.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X