Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Remember, FCS only exists for football. It's an all sports move to make the jump to D-1. VSU doesn't have the money for such a move; at least that's what they have long claimed. UWG has an advantage over VSU and UWF for such a move in both facilities and location, but does UWG have the money? UWF is playing games on a practice field.
    No UWG does not have the money today. There would have to be a major fundraising effort.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I mainly question the rumor because of the new ASUN-WAC Football Conference and their wild quest to move to FBS in 2025. With the transition years, I don't see how a D2 call-up fits into that situation.

I think the GSC six are pretty solid. But, they need more. At least 8.
      The ASUN-WAC to FBS rumor is beyond insane, if we're going to be honest. A few of these schools play in stadiums which are worse than some of the bigger high school stadiums in North Texas as you'll see in this interesting video of the ASUN-WAC football stadiums (BTW, this channel covers a wide variety of sports; just be prepared that the presenter is Australian):

https://youtu.be/wLBAU62fllQ
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Six presents scheduling problems for the GSC, but it gives the conference an incredible opportunity to host home playoff games.

The more teams a conference has, the closer to .500 their SOS will be. The fewer teams a conference has, the farther away (good or bad) from .500 it will be.

I'd personally love to see all conferences capped at eight but that will never happen.
        If there turns out to be a GSC-ConfCar alliance similar to the ASUN-WAC or Big South-Ohio Valley conference mashups, that could offset any concerns about scheduling (5 conference, 4 cross-conference, 1 or 2 non-conference) and SOS. (Of course, it would take two to tango, as it were, and I don't see any guarantee that both leagues would sign off on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

If there turns out to be a GSC-ConfCar alliance similar to the ASUN-WAC or Big South-Ohio Valley conference mashups, that could offset any concerns about scheduling (5 conference, 4 cross-conference, 1 or 2 non-conference) and SOS. (Of course, it would take two to tango, as it were, and I don't see any guarantee that both leagues would sign off on it.
          It does take two to tango, but teams in both the GSC and CC need 8 regional games for playoff purposes and that is motivation enough to make this happen. The only other option is for ADs to get SIAC and SAC schools on their respective schedules. The SAC is positioning itself to not have to play OOC games, similarly the SIAC has enough teams where they do not need to schedule OOC games either. Assuming that happens that leaves the GSC and CC as the only conferences in need of regional OOC games. A scheduling alliance benefits both conferences. A merger (for football) benefits both for scheduling but the GSC side (in particular UWF, VSU, UWG, Delta) would dominate in that scenario. No one wants to end up like the GNAC playing round robin schedules.

Comment

The announcement of Chowan and Erskine as affiliate members of GSC for football show that the GSC has paid attention to the complaints about last season’s double up schedule and I hope an affiliation with Conference Carolina in the future solves the OOC scheduling issues.

It makes too much good sense to not happen, but that never stopped conferences from fouling things up for no good reason in the past. Fingers tightly crossed on this one.

Comment

I had an interesting conversation with my buddy over at UNC-Pembroke yesterday, and the first thing he said was that UNCP and the other Conference Carolinas football programs are ecstatic that their aspirations of becoming a football conference has finally (after years) has come to fruition.

He said that in talks with other Conference Carolina fans and boosters, they are very appreciative of the help other conferences gave and are still giving in keeping football going while the growing number of Conference Carolina schools were without their own conference. He said there's now and will continue to be a brotherhood / partnership with the GSC, and also thanked the MEC, CIAA, and SAC for their scheduling cooperation with some CC programs.

He said that the recruiting benefits are already coming to light as the Conference Carolinas schools can now promote the opportunities of potential Conference Carolinas Football championships, like their other sports programs presently enjoy. He added, also playing some GSC teams on a yearly basis also works out well in recruiting for the CC programs, and he knows that a lot of CC fans are looking forward to those future matchups.

Comment

I think that's what's going to happen.

Comment

There are some football related rumors making the rounds about some new permanent conference members. If any prove true the GSC will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
                    There are some football related rumors making the rounds about some new permanent conference members. If any prove true the GSC will be just fine.
                    Spill the tea!
                    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

Spill the tea!
                      Alabama is going to field a "redshirts only" team and they are going to play in the GSC ;)

Comment

Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Alabama is going to field a "redshirts only" team and they are going to play in the GSC ;)
                          Alabama's "redshirts only" team could probably 8-4 in the SEC. Such is the power of Nick Satan.

Comment

Alabama's "redshirts only" team could probably 8-4 in the SEC. Such is the power of Nick Satan.
                            They probably go 10-2 in the East LOL!!!

Comment

From Matt Brown:

Specifically, I am told that there is mutual interest in D-II University of West Georgia potentially joining the OVC.

The Wolves would address a few potential needs for the OVC. UWG’s main campus, in Carrollton, Georgia, is only about an hour away from former OVC member Jacksonville State. The OVC has never had a full member in Georgia before, but it did previously have schools in Alabama. Moving into Georgia gives OVC coaches and staffers an excuse to visit talent (and student) rich parts of the country, without extending too far out of bus range.

West Georgia also sponsors football, helping to bolster the OVC/Big South partnership, giving them a membership buffer in case one of the geographic outlier institutions (like Bryant) decides on other league affiliations in the future. UWG’s enrollment (over 10,000 undergraduates and growing) and institutional profile also broadly fits many of the other schools currently in the OVC.

UWG currently sponsors 13 varsity sports and currently plays in D-II’s Gulf South Conference. Their football program has been a regular D-II playoff participant over the last decade.

This isn’t a done deal by any means. Reclassifying is a major institutional investment, and that process is longer for public schools that need to bring regents and other stakeholders into the conversation. UWG could decide to stay in D-II. It’s also possible that other conferences could try to convince UWG to join their league instead. I’m told that the ASUN, for example, has also expressed interest, but the ASUN’s current FBS partnership plan with the WAC could be a complicating factor for UWG.

For what it’s worth, I am told that UWG’s two most prominent football-playing peers in the Gulf South Conference, West Florida and Valdosta State, are not considered major reclassification candidates in the short term.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/here...ce-realignment
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Those will definitely need to materialize quickly if West Georgia is out the door to D1. Otherwise, GSC football is on life support starting in 2025.
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X